• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Bill Would Shorten the Suppressor Waiting Period to 90 Days

NHCraigT

NES Member

This New Bill Would Shorten the Suppressor Waiting Period to 90 Days

A bi-partisan bill that would direct tax-stamp revenue from the sale of firearms suppressors to the nation’s conservation trust fund and expedite federal approval of silencers was introduced in Congress Thursday.

The bill, sponsored by representatives Blake Moore (R-UT) and Jared Golden (D-ME), would reallocate the estimated $200 million collected this year by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to the Pittman-Robertson to fund wildlife management, habitat, and shooting range infrastructure across the country. Suppressor tax-stamp revenue is increasing about 40 percent annually as more shooters and hunters invest in the firearms accessory....

There is zero reason that there should be a waiting period for suppressors, I disagree there should be a tax or a background check at all but since there is I should be able to purchase, pay my tax after a 4473 is filled and approved and leave. These form 4s and all the other stuff is to just discourage people and it works.

CanCon - suppressed firearms all weekend at my local range in Georgia.

Sponsored by Recoil magazine.

12 bays, 500 yard, 100 yard, 100 meter ranges - all with vendors demoing products.

Night shoots fri and sat night, some full dark w/ nods, 100 yard set up w white light.

Silencerco, shaw armament, carbon research, etc, etc

Attachments

• IMG_4370.jpeg
    IMG_4370.jpeg
    980.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Talking with people in free states last weekend they were telling me they had year and two year long waits on e filed form 4's. That is just unacceptable. I hope this passed, but with the Senate, I could see them dropping the 90 day rule and that being lost in reconciliation.

Besides, about the only thing that passes in Congress anymore is spending bills at the last minute done conveniently so nobody has time to read the bill.

It’s just a NICS check, right? If that takes 5 minutes at a gun store why does ATF take months? Never made sense to me. And Form 1’s sometimes take 30 days whereas Form 4’s always take forever, although seems wait times have gotten a little shorter if late (but still take way too long).

It’s just a NICS check, right? If that takes 5 minutes at a gun store why does ATF take months? Never made sense to me. And Form 1’s sometimes take 30 days whereas Form 4’s always take forever, although seems wait times have gotten a little shorter if late (but still take way too long).
They have to collect the tax and issue the stamp.. but that's nothing that couldn't be done with a computer.....

Yeah, it’s really lame. The entire thing suppressors shouldn’t even be on the nfa.

Nfa shouldn’t even exist.

I did have to do some paperwork for suppressors at work. I haven’t seen them in person before . they’re pretty nice, I mean they’re all the same thing anyway but it’s like the only thing at work that I want to have and can’t buy.

Yeah, it’s really lame. The entire thing suppressors shouldn’t even be on the nfa.

Nfa shouldn’t even exist.

I did have to do some paperwork for suppressors at work. I haven’t seen them in person before . they’re pretty nice, I mean they’re all the same thing anyway but it’s like the only thing at work that I want to have and can’t buy.
Can you have them in MA with a 07 SOT?

Can you have them in MA with a 07 SOT?

You could, but I think you’re violating the spirit of law for my use and besides that it’s a lot of money to spend on an ffl just to own suppressors I already own enough civilian transferable machine guns and quite frankly, the neighbors can go f*** themselves, would be nice for hunting though.

There is zero reason that there should be a waiting period for suppressors, I disagree there should be a tax or a background check at all but since there is I should be able to purchase, pay my tax after a 4473 is filled and approved and leave. These form 4s and all the other stuff is to just discourage people and it works.
This is very very true

If i could just get approved i would sbr 2 danny defenses and my stribog and all 3 would have cans right meow

Or just make your own - can't be too difficult and judging by the movies noone will ever hear you so you can't get caught.

I could be like Mahhhk Wahhhlbuhg in Shootah. "Hey cow. You're a cow, right? I can shoot a quuaatahh at a click and a haaaf. I gaht this poodleshooddah with a sodaboddle wit some insulation. Do you like it, cow? Say hi to your moms for me. . . wait, we ate her last week."

Fyi down to two weeks on a Form 1. Why does Form 4 take so long?
Because atf is like "Because you suck and we hate you". 4 is a transfer so they have to check both sides but it's f***ing stupid if one side is an 07 or similar that takes like 60 seconds to verify the source side. I'm pretty sure the way the NFA Branch does transfers is just absurd on purpose or something I mean I get it with a machine guns or whatever but the same kind of delays happen with even stupid shit like a suppressor or SBR which is like ridiculously basic like f***ing sell somebody a tax stamp and move on..... but it's obviously not about the tax.

Because atf is like "Because you suck and we hate you". 4 is a transfer so they have to check both sides but it's f***ing stupid if one side is an 07 or similar that takes like 60 seconds to verify the source side. I'm pretty sure the way the NFA Branch does transfers is just absurd on purpose or something I mean I get it with a machine guns or whatever but the same kind of delays happen with even stupid shit like a suppressor or SBR which is like ridiculously basic like f***ing sell somebody a tax stamp and move on..... but it's obviously not about the tax.
It was never about the tax

Iric the cost has never gone up and 200 bones in 36 was not short money

This is also another reason why Republicans are useless under the Bush Administration Republicans easily could have passed an NFA Reform Act to modernize the entire process and allow a ffls to collect the tax and basically make everything except for machine gun transfers instant. This shit all could have been done even with technology when Bush was president that's how lame the GOP is.

This shit all could have been done even fwith technology when Bush was president that's how lame the GOP is.

You are assuming that the average congresscritter is interested in anything except getting elected and playing “us v. them” games. Under either Bush, the GOP would have had to invoke the nuclear option to get such a bill past the senate.

Why is it 8 days to get an SBR approved and months for a supressor? Is there a different check they do, do they have to contact the manufacturer and dealer or something?
Mike offered an explanation above. Plus, perhaps way more Form 4s than Form 1s to review. General incompetence, manual review, limited staff and no incentive to process may also be at play. It’s just a nics check for the consumer. As others have said, should just be a gun store protocol like any other nics check.

Back
Top Bottom