New Barrel for a Remington Model 788

Possible yes, practical, I would recommend against it.

Money wise, it would be more effective to do a Rem 700. If you want a 223, 243 or 308, buy one already built.

The gunsmithing fees and parts run some serious money for rebarreling. When you consider $200 for fitting and chambering a $300 barrel to the gun, and before they do that, the $200 or more for accurizing your action, plus $150 to $200 for a decent stock (assuming you do the work, or pay another $100), then buying a prebuilt Rem 700 looks cheap.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a good action / receiver and you want the most accuracy you can get, then do it yourself (by way of a good 'smith doing the work you want done). You'll never have the accuarcy in something off the shelf or pre-built (unless someone had it built before you). Accuracy is expensive mainly due to the cost of a quality match-grade barrel.

A good reputable gunsmith should not rape you on the labor. However, when you have them square the bolt, true the action, set a tight-neck match chamber, action / pillar bed and inlet the stock - it is pricey. Again, the cost of precision.

Tony, in your opinion, are the $ I mentioned within reaility?

Remember, I'm referring to a Hart Barrel, McMillan stock, and Bench Rest Hunter class grade accuracy. My experience says they are, with the possible exception of parts cost.

I'll agree that a Rem 700 PSS isn't as accurate as what I'm proposing, but, it is good enough for reasonable long-range, non-match work, including Varmint Hunting. They're a lot cheaper as well.

No, that's really not in the ballbark, at least around here. The problem is, some guys will just flat out rape a guy on labor - I hear about it all the time. It really just depends. Again, the components are the major expense - Hart or Douglass XX barrel around $300 like you say. Mcmillian stock - 5 bills (HS precision about $250'ish)

It also depends on you get the barrel - in the green needing to be reamed, or just needing head spaced and crowned.

I assumed he was going to keep his stock so I'd guess $75 - $150 to be inletted to free-float and to be action / pillar bedded.

I was thinking low end McMillan, but, looks like they went way up. Lee Six and HS Precision have made decent stocks.

Barrel was assuming buying a turned blank. For those that don't know, that's exterior turned to taper, moderately polished (a little), and no chamber whatsoever, just bored and rifled inside.

I just went back and saw Skald is looking for 200 yard off-hand. The stocks you would use for IBS would not work well for Off Hand High Power competition. Assuming you were willing to keep your current stock, and have the 788 already, figure on $400 to $500 to replace the barrel. Truing the action might not be needed for what you're intending doing.

I figure .75 to 1.5 MOA should be good enough, right? This can be doable with a factory Remington action. I've seen it done before.

I would demand .5 MOA at least. A 700 PSS will usually hold a minute out of the box. I think squaring the bolt and truing action would be a must with a match chamber and the bedding.

I should also say that I really don't know what the industry is charging for work. I just know what my friend charges down here. He builds rifles for a few of the state and national champions.

I've used Remingtons that could shoot .375 MOA without any action work. Of course, they were 1950's and 1960's vintage actions, and I do believe the quality was BETTER then. I fondly remember a Rem 722 in 222 Rem, later 223, that had a Douglas Premium barrel (not stainless), in a Fajen stock, with a Lyman 20 Power scope. First gun I shot Heavy Varmint class with.

Nickle said:
I've used Remingtons that could shoot .375 MOA without any action work. Of course, they were 1950's and 1960's vintage actions, and I do believe the quality was BETTER then. I fondly remember a Rem 722 in 222 Rem, later 223, that had a Douglas Premium barrel (not stainless), in a Fajen stock, with a Lyman 20 Power scope. First gun I shot Heavy Varmint class with.

Seems a few of their older stuff was better. For example; the 40X and 541T. No idea why they quit making those two quality firearms.

Lack of sales, weighed against the cost of making them. I've owned Remingtons from that time frame, and handled/used Remington's from later. I'll take the earlier ones.

The only Remington parts left on that 722 was the action, including the trigger. I reworked it down to about 12 ounces, and still reliable.

I can't see lack of sales being the culprit. The 40X and 541T both would rival Anshutz. As it is, CZ makes a better target grade .22 than Remington does.

I think the numbers, as a percentage of their Model 700 sales, would be the issue. I never said they were smart to drop them. The 40XB-BR got dropped for an eventual lack of sales for sure. They weren't competitive any more.

True, but they don't make a 700 in a smallbore, the 40X fit that bill as a single shot and the 541T as a mag fed. Their new one (not sure of model #) doesn't stack up.

The 40X in smallbore should've been a keeper. I've got a 513T I used to compete with. We had some single shots, but I found my scores were better if I didn't constantly break position.

Back
Top Bottom