New acquisitions for June 2013

Got myself a GEM of an ALL matching late 1943 Savage Lend-Lease Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1*. Bore is good, Savage made bayonet and original sling. Bayonet web frog is an original from IMA.

MS

Been looking for a Mas 36 and found one today while picking up my m44 from the group buy. I like all original rifles, but this caught my eye. It was imported by Golden State Arms Corp who "sporterized" it. It's known as a Santa Fe Model 1949. Has a clean stock, excellent blueing, and a nice bore... and for $105 I'm very happy with it.

GEDC2097.jpg GEDC2102.jpg GEDC2103.jpg

Last edited:
Sneak peek, I'll be buying a reloading press very soon so I decided to replace my computer desk with a finished, yet rustic desk/workbench. Its longer than my current one, and heavier duty. Locking file cabinets will go underneath for storage, computer on the left, press on the right. Yes, its a butcher block made entirely from 2x4's. Looks decent and will be cheaper than the lee reloading kit going on it!

jy8ene6e.jpg
navuhe9e.jpg
6etupube.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post pictures of the IH!

Been looking for a Mas 36 and found one today while picking up my m44 from the group buy. I like all original rifles, but this caught my eye. It was imported by Golden State Arms Corp who "sporterized" it. It's known as a Santa Fe Model 1949. Has a clean stock, excellent blueing, and a nice bore... and for $105 I'm very happy with it.

Santa Fe did a lot of sporterized rifles back in, I think, the 1960s. I have a No.4 Mk1 that they turned into a hunting rifle. About all that is original is the receiver and bolt. New wood, new barrel, new sites, scope mount. I know a lot of people think that sort of thing ruins the historic value, but considering how many SMLEs were made, I think it's OK. I know that they also did Mausers, but didn't know that they did anything else. There isn't a lot of information about Santa Fe or Golden State Arms. I think GSA was part of Santa Fe, but it might have been the other way around.

Is the MAS the rifle that had a lot of badly done caliber conversions?

Santa Fe did a lot of sporterized rifles back in, I think, the 1960s. I have a No.4 Mk1 that they turned into a hunting rifle. About all that is original is the receiver and bolt. New wood, new barrel, new sites, scope mount. I know a lot of people think that sort of thing ruins the historic value, but considering how many SMLEs were made, I think it's OK. I know that they also did Mausers, but didn't know that they did anything else. There isn't a lot of information about Santa Fe or Golden State Arms. I think GSA was part of Santa Fe, but it might have been the other way around.

Is the MAS the rifle that had a lot of badly done caliber conversions?

The MAS 49/56 is know for the bad 308 conversion. I found some info online about the Santa Fe model 1949 and it seems like they were sporterized very nicely. Some of the Santa Fe Sporters actually rates a listing in Balderson's Price book.

The MAS 49/56 is know for the bad 308 conversion. I found some info online about the Santa Fe model 1949 and it seems like they were sporterized very nicely. Some of the Santa Fe Sporters actually rates a listing in Balderson's Price book.

Thanks. I'm not well versed on French rifles, other than the old joke about only be dropped once. My SMLE is very nicely done. The bits I've read on the Internet indicate that there were several grades of conversions and the Grade 4 rifles were the best.

Enjoy yours.

Thanks I'm sure I'll enjoy it. It's gonna be lonely in my safe though, as the only French rifle I have. I guess I'll have to pick up a 36/51, 49/56, and an original 36 now [laugh] .

Page two needs some HK sex as well. Like the OP, I've been lusting for a P30 for quite a while. Yesterday was a good day:

y5udyhu2.jpg

Picked this up a week or so ago.
Only out about 10 rounds through it. I'll have some dies and brass in soon and it will have a steady diet of lyman 358156 through it.
686-1 4" marked S.P.D.
Great gun.
Can't wait to shoot it more.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371220455.315853.jpg

My score for this month... Well, unless I find a S&W 1911 3" Pro Series!! :D

Hit 4 stores across the past 2 days for this.

vy9ubyte.jpg

Last edited:
How hard did they hit you for the .45? I paid 55 cents/round for 100 rd WWB the other day. [hmmm]

You must have been at Pullman... They had 2 boxes of WWB bulk pack 45 at that price.

The 2 Tula 45s were Wally World for $15.xx (along with that 100 pack of 223 for $35.xx ). The Blazer Brass 45 was at Shooters Outpost for $19.xx a box... No limit, and their shelf was packed & stacked!!

Got my LTC last week. So far I have the beginnings of two AR builds (one 5.56 and one 22lr), and these:

CwOJL8X.jpg

GhmVLmr.jpg

ScNwo1r.jpg

Shopping list: Finish the ARs, optic for the takedown, S&W 1911 Pro Series 9mm 5". My poor, poor wallet. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom