New Acquisitions for February 2007

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I'll start it off. I picked up my Massachusetts edition, One of 100, Whitetails Unlimited Commemorative Smith & Wesson .460 XVR Revolver from Four Seasons this evening.

It's a beast:

460.jpg

It's pretty cool that I now have a 4-caliber revolver. I'm kicking around the idea of getting an additional cylinder and having it cut for moon clips to make it an 8-caliber revolver.

I'll start it off. I picked up my Massachusetts edition, One of 100, Whitetails Unlimited Commemorative Smith & Wesson .460 XVR Revolver from Four Seasons this evening.

It's a beast:

460.jpg

It's pretty cool that I now have a 4-caliber revolver. I'm kicking around the idea of getting an additional cylinder and having it cut for moon clips to make it an 8-caliber revolver.

Wow ! That is nice. Have you shot it yet ? How's the recoil compared to the .500 ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

Wow ! That is nice. Have you shot it yet ? How's the recoil compared to the .500 ?

Inquiring minds want to know !

I haven't tried it yet (I picked it up 11 hours ago); so I don't know about the recoil compared to the .500. I'll give you a heads up on the next "warm" Saturday and you're welcome to find out for yourself. I might take it for a quick spin tomorrow. If I do, I'll post a range report.

I've been wanting to try a .460 for a while now but couldn't find anyone that had one. When I got an email last week from Four Seasons showing that they had these Whitetail Unlimited ones for $799, and that S&W were only making 100 for Massachusetts, I jumped on it. I called the president of our gun club and he bit too. When we picked them up last night, we found out that they had sold out. [shocked]

I haven't tried it yet (I picked it up 11 hours ago); so I don't know about the recoil compared to the .500. I'll give you a heads up on the next "warm" Saturday and you're welcome to find out for yourself. I might take it for a quick spin tomorrow. If I do, I'll post a range report.

I've been wanting to try a .460 for a while now but couldn't find anyone that had one. When I got an email last week from Four Seasons showing that they had these Whitetail Unlimited ones for $799, and that S&W were only making 100 for Massachusetts, I jumped on it. I called the president of our gun club and he bit too. When we picked them up last night, we found out that they had sold out. [shocked]

Thanks ! [smile]

It's a beast:

460.jpg

All I can say is oooooooo, nice.

Here is one of mine for February, a 1951 Swiss K-31. The wood finish is very worn but the bore and internals are excellent. It has a tag under the buttplate. The rifle was issued to a grenadier.
IMG_0782.jpg

Here is one of mine for February, a 1951 Swiss K-31. The wood finish is very worn but the bore and internals are excellent. It has a tag under the buttplate. The rifle was issued to a grenadier.

This link:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14882
explains about new owners contacting originals.
I myself never had the motivation to do so, even with the tag under my K11 rifle, but am always interested in the follow ups by new found collectors contacting former owners. Some have received bayonets, cleaning kits, photos, etc. from the former owners.

Here is my new stuff for Feb

SVT-40

DSC00544.jpg

And VZ-52

DSC00543.jpg

Very jealous of the SVT-40. Do they have any more left where you bought it? [smile]

Also the VZ-52 is a nice find. Gotta love the Rhinoliner stock! [smile] I've heard it comes off pretty easy though. It's a neat rifle, though ammo can be tough to come by... unless that is a 7.62x39 version.

And is that C&E News in the corner? Are you a fellow chemist? [smile]

Very jealous of the SVT-40. Do they have any more left where you bought it? [smile]

Also the VZ-52 is a nice find. Gotta love the Rhinoliner stock! [smile] I've heard it comes off pretty easy though. It's a neat rifle, though ammo can be tough to come by... unless that is a 7.62x39 version.

And is that C&E News in the corner? Are you a fellow chemist? [smile]

I bought a collection of guns for my store and these are some of the ones that I kept for myself.
I kept the SVT-40 because it had a diffrent stock on it than the other one I have. The other one has the AVT-40 stock on it.

The VZ-52 Finish doesn't want to come off. I will have to get something better than my fingernail to take it off. Just waiting for it to warm up some. I got about 600 rounnds with the gun, but some of it looks like it got wet and didn't fire that good when I tried it.

That is my girlfriends C&E news. She teaches Chemistry at collage. I don't think that I have the right brain for chemistry at the moment. Maybe someday she can teach it to me or switch my brain for a good one.

Here's my two so far. Finnish 1943 Tikka M91/30 w/matching bolt, two piece Finn stock and a like new bore. The last two pictures are my 1917 Russian M91 that has been Finned w/matching bolt, two piece stock, stock swivels and a 1/2 inch counterbore. This one also has a pretty nice bore considering the year. Cleaning rods came with both.
DSC01040.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

Theres a guy on Gunboards selling Finn SA marked 91/30 slings. You may have to scroll back a few days to find the add but one would be perfect for that 91/30.
When you start getting all your milsurps checked off, its all about accessorizing! [smile]
Scratch the info, I just noticed the lack of dog collar slots.

Last edited:
Yep, the Finns did it alittle different. THe slings for those swivels are out there... just look on ebay and other places.

By the way, nice Mosins - my other weakness in milsurps. I own 4:

Finnish M-39
Finnish M91/30
Russian M91/30 with a laminate stock
Repo PU sniper rifle

Joe R.

forgive me guys...for i have sinned...its been a whole month since my last purchase...and i was feeling evil...so i got this

02_09_1.jpg

and then...i still didnt feel as if i had paid enough for my sins...so after 1400 hail marys...i got this...

02_09_0.jpg

now all i need to do is find some battlepacks of .308![devil2] [devil2]

wow...i just loaded up a few extra mags for the ptr...now i know why the army switched from 20 round .308 to 30 round .223...cant believe how much heavier it is

however...i think its sexier looking at the full mag of .308s rather than the .223s

Got my first handgun this week, a used Taurus PT99AF in 9mm with 2 15rd mags Blue Northern in Ayer. It's an older one with the safety on the frame and no decocker. I went with a 9mm v.s. .45 because ammo wouldn't cost quite so much to learn with. I figure with good defensive ammo it would be adequate as a home defense handgun, at least to get me to the my gun closet for something more effective. I do have a few questions but I'll ask them up in the General Discussion section.

PT99AF-Rightside.jpg

PT99AF-leftside.jpg

Thanks!

And isn't Blue Northern a pleasure to deal with?
Yes! I've been to 6 different shops in the general area since getting my license, some of them more than once. Blue Northern and Match Shot have been the most helpful and pleasant to deal with. I bought there because Match Shot didn't have quite what I was looking for.

For some reason, the company I recently completed a contract assignment with was "completely satisfied" with me, so I got a bonus from them. It lasted about 5 hours, as I had an itch for a .357 revolver that just wouldn't go away. I ended up finding a good deal at State Line Gun Shop in Mason, NH on this 4" Model 66-1, which puts it at about 1980-1982 vintage. It's pinned and recessed, and in 95%+ condition. They had an identical 6" one for sale, but I really wanted the 4" for possible carry. The 6" had a slightly better trigger on the DA break, so I had a trigger job done to make them equal. It's now got the sweet DA trigger I was jonesing for.

66-1.jpg

Thanks!

Yes! I've been to 6 different shops in the general area since getting my license, some of them more than once. Blue Northern and Match Shot have been the most helpful and pleasant to deal with. I bought there because Match Shot didn't have quite what I was looking for.

Very nice classic pistol. Please post a range report after you get to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom