Neighbor Died widow gave me his guns

I believe you have a grace period to sell off firearms if a spouse passes and and the surviving spouse does not have an fid or LTC. 30 or 60 days I believe. It's been a while since my dad passed away and my mother did the same thing.

I scrolled through and don't think I saw a real answer.

So here it is. Go with the widow and the guns to a gun shop. They will book them in from the widow and then transfer them out to you in full compliance with state and federal law.

Very simple.
Why does the widow have to go to the FFL?

Hopefully they’re compliant guns if this is the route OP wants to take. I’d call ahead.

So what is the use case for the inheritance option on the portal. Is that only if you are clearly identified to receive them in a will?

If so, do you have to show proof? Or how is it verified that you were in a will?

I scrolled through and don't think I saw a real answer.

So here it is. Go with the widow and the guns to a gun shop. They will book them in from the widow and then transfer them out to you in full compliance with state and federal law.

Very simple.
Nothing is simple here.

Because this is MA, the guns weren’t willed to the OP, and the widow doesn’t have an LTC.
executor of the estate can transfer them with the stiff's LTC, at least that's how the law read when i went through this with a cousin of mine a decade ago

ETA: all i got was a maverick 88 duck gun with like... an 80" barrel..... gee... thanks Omer....

Why does the widow have to go to the FFL?

Hopefully they’re compliant guns if this is the route OP wants to take. I’d call ahead.
I’m not saying this is the only way. I’m saying this is simple, straightforward, and will not frighten the dealer during the transfer into refusing to do it.

The assumption here is that the firearms were not bequeathed to the son in the will.

With all that said. If the OP does what he mentioned in the first post, just goes onto the portal, registers the gun and leaves where he got them from blank, there is zero chance of any trouble. The state is happy that they know where the guns are, there’s no point to do anything else.

Decades ago, my parents living in St Petersburg, FL said their neighbors husband had died and asked me to go look in her husband's gun safe, as she wanted to give the guns away. I had a look, said Holy SH*t! to myself, and found a local FFL with a good reputation to put them up for sale.

Like they say, never let your wife sell your stuff when you die - or give it away!

Back
Top Bottom