• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Some Help - Shield/M&P9c/SR9c Purchase Comparison

I need some help. I'm a new LTC holder looking for a first handgun for EDC and I've narrowed my choices down but I'm having a hard time making a decision.

Some Background: I'm a larger guy so I have bigger hands and concealment shouldn't be an issue. For comparison, I've held a Bodyguard 380 and my pinky was completely off the grip (extended) and it wasn't comfortable at all. My price range is $450-$550 and I'm fairly sure 9mm will be my preferred caliber. I've shot my fair share of weapons before but have not owned one. Also, this will be my home carry/bedside gun for the foreseeable future, so it's dual purpose.

My Choices:

Shield 9mm: I've fixated on the shield for the longest time. It seemed like it would fit my needs. Given it's popularity, I've only recently been able to even get my hands on one to feel how it fits. It was thinner than I even imagined and when I tried a 9c next to it, the 9c fit better. I'm worried I won't have the proper trigger control if it's not fitting my hand correctly. Other than the grip, the Shield seems like the perfect gun in every other area. Price seems to be hovering around the $500 mark given their availability has been increasing. Availability seems to be getting better, but is still an issue. I'm not in a rush but given I own nothing at this point, I'd rather pull the trigger (no pun intended) by the end of the year.

M&P 9c: I admit this gun wasn't even a contender. I was browsing a local shop and just decided to feel it in my hands for the hell of it and it felt amazing. I'm sure everyone's had one of those experiences with a hand gun where they grip it and they just know this is the one. Given it's the same foot print as the shield with only a bit more girth, I thought this was the gun for me. I thought I had found the one. Then my heart sank when I saw it didn't have an external safety. I was quickly informed that MA Compliant models of the 9c just didn't have a safety (odd). For many of you, I'm sure this is a non-issue, in fact I'm sure for many having a safety at all WOULD be an issue. However as a first time gun owner and first time concealed carry holder, I still have to get over the fact that I'm carrying a gun, a loaded gun, everywhere I go. I'm not even there yet and it still freaks me out. It's something I have to get over and I'd rather feel this way then be complacent and un-safe. Add the fact that it's loaded AND doesn't have a safety and I just don't think I can do it, at least not for my first purchase. These seem to be running as low as $500 which seems like a great price.

Ruger SR9c: Not sure how I stumbled onto the SR9c, but in doing research it seems like a solid option. They can be had for as little as $450 which is another benefit. I've held one and the fit was ok and the slide was extremely stiff, but I'm sure that would loosen up with time/use. Also, I didn't like the gripability on the slide like I did on the M&P9c. Again, this is a solid option, but it doesn't make me as giddy as the M&Ps.

If you've read through my wall of text and are still here, I'd appreciate any and all recommendations on the options I've listed out here, as well as any other options you may have opinions on that I have not outlined here. Thanks in advance!

I just had a very similar decision to make. Seems like it's going to be your EDC so I would go with what your most comfortable with I went back and forth between the shield and the m&p 9c. Ended up with the sheild as I am a thin guy and knew it would conceal easier for me. Also I am in general a revolver guy and just getting into semi autos and the safety was a plus for me although I know it is not for everyone. Good luck

SR9c was my first handgun and it's a great gun. No issues, accurate, sweet trigger...cannot go wrong imo

I lean toward the Shield, there are lots of aftermarket sight choices as well as a variety of holster options. The simplicity of the mechanics also make it a better choice for my 2 cents.

It sounds like the M&P compact is what you liked the best. You can get them with an external safety. I can understand people when they are hesitant about firearms without safeties. I imagine though, that once you get some more experience with firearms, you will find that hesitation without merit. A loaded holstered firearm is not going to go off. An external safety is not needed. When the firearm is out of the holster, it is for a reason, like you need to use it. When you need to use it, a safety is the last thing you need. The other times it comes out of the holster, you aren't going to be under any stress (at home taking it off for the day, etc). If you aren't comfortable taking it out without a safety, and not confident you won't 'accidentally' pull the trigger, then you aren't ready to be carrying anyway.

That is just my view/rant on external safeties on carry guns. The choice remains yours. All three are good options.

Shoot all 3 and then make a decision. I was debating between the SR9C and M&P9C as well. I ended with the SR9C because it needed nothing to be perfect in my opinion.

I've owned both the M&P 9c (my very first purchase) and currently own the SR9c. I liked the M&P 9c a lot, but it never grew on me like I thought it would.

This may sound stupid, but I never liked the look of the SR9c, I always thought it was such an ugly gun, and refused to give it the respect it had gained from so many gun owners. Then I made the mistake of shooting a friends SR9c at the range. It felt great in the hands, was very accurate, and best of all (for me) was the trigger. Trigger on the SR9c is IMO one of the best you can get in this state for the money. No trigger job required, it's just good to go. Stock trigger on the M&P 9c not so much (opinions vary, but I think you'll find some agreement here). After shooting the SR9c, I was converted.

I've never shot the shield, but I imagine it's a decent gun.

If you are a bigger guy, and don't own any other guns, I would think a midsize may be better than a compact.

You may find getting enough trigger time to be competent is easier with a larger gun. Then when you are more than comfortable with handling a gun on a regular basis you can get a compact. Very likely you will end up owning more than one gun.

I am 5-11, 145 and can conceal a P99 no problem. I carried my full size P99 (it is actually mid but called full) for five years. I just got a compact two years ago, but only carry that in the summer.

Just my opinion, but two friends went with the M&P .40c and neither would shoot it enough to become proficient. Not sure if it was because of the size, caliber or both.

Good luck in your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you are new to carrying, may I recommend a book?

Massad Ayoob's Book of Concealed Carry is a decent read. Will give you a lot to think about as you get into it.

Some on NES don't like Ayoob for whatever reason, and there are definitely other good books. That is one I give to all my friends that are newly into guns.

ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SR9c is an excellent choice right out of the box although the MP9c is also a great gun. I have only shot the shield once and it seems like a good gun but I prefer the other two choices myself.

If you are going to be using it as dual-purpose carry and home, I'd suggest getting the m&p 9c. It's small for carry but can accept the full size mags for home use. Or do what I did and get a 9 full size and a 9 shield.

- Todd

Shield would be my choice. I love mine in 9mm with the extended grip it's fun at the range. It's very thin, easy to carry. Pullman arms had some for 429$. Best of luck

I would say shield. Your lucky you have a nice slim gun to get first. Many of us have had to buy a half dozen guns trying to find that reliable concealable easy to carry gun. After getting the shield get a full size in the same caliber. Trust me, if you get the M&P9c or sr9c you will still buy the shield.

After reading all these posts I'm still as confused as ever. I guess I'll have to try them out myself. Who wants to be my moving target?

After reading all these posts I'm still as confused as ever. I guess I'll have to try them out myself. Who wants to be my moving target?

OK I know you said the gun will be a dual purpose ( I said the same and ended up with a shield for carry and full size at home.

So that being said how much do you plan to carry?

If everyday I'd say shield..if occasionally then the 9c would be a great dual purpose gun it small enough for carry and has same capacity as the full size for home, same for the SR9C, I'm just a S&W guy myself

Not trying to persuade either way, but I guess I don't quite fully understand why the Shield is so much more recommended over the compact. It has less capacity AND is actually taller, making it MORE difficult to conceal. I find grip length the biggest factor when concealing, more so than barrel length or thickness. Is there something I'm missing?

OK I know you said the gun will be a dual purpose ( I said the same and ended up with a shield for carry and full size at home.

So that being said how much do you plan to carry?

If everyday I'd say shield..if occasionally then the 9c would be a great dual purpose gun it small enough for carry and has same capacity as the full size for home, same for the SR9C, I'm just a S&W guy myself

Why do you need a dual purpose gun? If it works outdoors, it should work indoors.

The Shield for carry is an excellent choice. Very reliable, light, slim & easy to hide, shoots accurately. For a compact pistol that holds 8+1 rounds, it's hard to beat, after the trigger job of course. No reason why you can't use it as a home gun too but you might want something with more capacity.

Not trying to persuade either way, but I guess I don't quite fully understand why the Shield is so much more recommended over the compact. It has less capacity AND is actually taller, making it MORE difficult to conceal. I find grip length the biggest factor when concealing, more so than barrel length or thickness. Is there something I'm missing?

i find that its the width that makes it easy to hide, the thinner the better. height is less relevant at least with in reason and for me

Back
Top Bottom