• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need pricing help on a 1911A1

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
My brother is sick and needs to sell some stuff. We are trying to get an honest price on a 1911A1. Made in 1944. It has been reblued but is otherwise in very good condition. Here are some pictures.

IMG_1605_zps8ae40ab2.jpg

IMG_1606_zpse8e8b022.jpg

IMG_1604_zps9a2fcaf2.jpg

IMG_1603_zps522fae94.jpg

The refinish and buffing kills the value. I'm guessing is a colt due to script used on serial. Original finish I'd expect 2500. Refinish about 1500 today's market (realistic prices not inflated dealer markup)

Last edited:
That is a nice gun. Collectors will turn their noses up on it because it has be reblued and is no longer "original". I have both original and reblued models and they all shoot the same. The reblued guns usually trade for between $650-1000, depending on overall condition. You might have someone pay more to chase a certain piece, but I think that is a fair range. A gun store may not pay that much, but there will be guys on the 1911, Colt, and CMP Forums (or even NES) that will. Good luck.

You should look at several that are for sale on Gun Broker, and Guns America, and you will get a going price. I agree the re blueing dropped the value, but this is an educated guess $1200 - $1500. Good luck.

I've seen 1944 1911a1 colts reblued in the $1000.00 +- range on GB.
you need to really check the actual "Sold" auctions. Then watch to make sure its not relisted a week later... I got all flustered. I want a WWII erra 1911 but im not sure if I want a refinished one?

It appears to be in good shape (at least externally) but just as others have pointed out, the re-blueing removes it from the "collectors" area. It's now more of an old gun, albeit in good shape. However the audience of 1911 collectors and fans runs a wide gamut and there are undoubtedly many who would pay a higher price just because "It's a REAL 1911." A lot depends upon how fast you need the money. You could probably get at least $1,000 for it if you are patient and market it well.

It appears to be in good shape (at least externally) but just as others have pointed out, the re-blueing removes it from the "collectors" area. It's now more of an old gun, albeit in good shape. However the audience of 1911 collectors and fans runs a wide gamut and there are undoubtedly many who would pay a higher price just because "It's a REAL 1911." A lot depends upon how fast you need the money. You could probably get at least $1,000 for it if you are patient and market it well.
If it was a 1942 dated gun I would give you a grand for it to match my 1942 garand!

Seen alot of mixed slides and frames after refinish

If it had been refinished by the government it almost certainly would have been parkerized and done in batches which could lead to mixed slides and frames. Having been blued, it is most likely a commercial job which is generally held to a more responsible level (as far as keeping parts together).

That being said, there is always the possibility that it could have been mis-matched while still in government hands.

I don't think the market is as strong as others do for a reblue. I think it's a $600-$800 piece.

Collector's value depends on the condition and origin of all the parts. It requires a complete stripdown of the entire firearm. Given the reblue this may not even be necessary. From the photo the hammer looks a little early for this s/n.

Without a physical inspection I would guess 1200 to 1600. Could go as much as +/- $200 on the high of low side. Depends if you are selling wholesale or retail.

That being said the real issue is how fast do you want to sell it. If I were you and someone walked up with 10 Franklins, I'd take it.

I don't think the market is as strong as others do for a reblue. I think it's a $600-$800 piece.

You may be underestimating the "I want/need it!" factor of too many people who want/need things. And have more money than business sense.

Last edited:
You may be underestimating the "I want/need it!" factor of too many people who want/need things. And have more money than business sense.

In those cases, you can double or triple my estimate.
My numbers are fair market value that will sell the pistol within a reasonable time. Anything over $800 and I think it sits a while on the shelf until the right person who has the "I want/need it!" in their pocket.

I'm wicked late to the game on this one, but I will agree with PatMcD. Fair market value on that gun would be under a grand IMO.

You may find that it will bring a higher premium in MA because guys with no C&R may have a hard time finding such a pistol to fill a notch in their collection. To find a similar refinished A1 in a free state is no big deal. There's tons of them out there and those free staters need not worry about handgun compliance garbage.

I thinned my 1911 collection mainly just to get into other guns and broaden my milsurp interests. Currently I have no USGI 1911's anymore. I would pay $700 tops for that gun if it were in excellent mechanical condition with a nice bore. OP, you will eventually be able to find someone, probably even on this forum, who will pay more than that.

To save the suspense... after looking at more photos of this gun and doing some research I feel this gun is correct except for the finish. The wide spur hammer is correct for the serial number range on a Colt as is the serrated msh.

For these reasons and the fact that the proceeds go to a good cause I purchased the gun from dhuze' brother and I'm quite happy to have done it. To me it is well worth it.

If there is anything 'off' on the gun regarding parts I'll correct them and I plan to strip the bluing and zinc phosphate parkerize it. It will be as correct as I need regarding the gun and the circumstances.

I've always wanted an actual WW2 1911A1 and I now have a Colt with a meaningful story.

Let us all hope the best for Dan's brother.

Good on you.
Like I said, I would buy that gun if the price were right and I'm sure it'll be a great shooter. Post up photos once the phosphate job is complete!

Good on you.
Like I said, I would buy that gun if the price were right and I'm sure it'll be a great shooter. Post up photos once the phosphate job is complete!

Will do. It just arrived a few hours ago and is now completely disassembled. The frame is in an electrolysis bath to remove the bluing...I hope. The gun appears correct in every way except the bluing. Whoever stripped the parkerizing did a great job and didn't wipe out any of the markings.

The barrel bore looks perfect as do all the other parts. It makes me wonder if it ever saw much use.

Found some time this morning to complete the Colt project. I had stripped all of the bluing using white vinegar after degreasing. This morning I gave the parts a light sandblasting with fine aluminum oxide and then placed them in the heated parkerizing solution. After reading and consulting with people in the know I decided to used the manganese phosphate solution I had on hand.

By all accounts there is little if difference in color and the manganese is more durable. Color variations com from the strength of solution, the temperature, etc. Metallurgy and heat treating also affect the color...lots of variables.

I blued the barrel as the originals had been done.

So, hear she is, freshly assembled and oiled. Note the dark nose as observed on many originals due to the heat treated business end.

Next is to hit the range for the 'sea trials'...

Last edited:
Love those Colts. My boss has one made in 1961, S/N 289XXX-C. Original 100% factory. Unfired. He wants me to clean it for him to go back into storage as it has been for 53 yrs. No way am I going to take it apart. Just a light coat of oil in the bore and that's it. Jack.

Love those Colts. My boss has one made in 1961, S/N 289XXX-C. Original 100% factory. Unfired. He wants me to clean it for him to go back into storage as it has been for 53 yrs. No way am I going to take it apart. Just a light coat of oil in the bore and that's it. Jack.

You might want to give it a coat of Rennissance Wax after a good cleaning. That's what most professionals do for long term storage.

Back
Top Bottom