Need help with an old Iver Johnson Top Break Revolver?

I just bought an old Iver Johnson .32S&W top break revolver at the Marlborough gun show today, is it a safe to shoot with modern ammo, or black powder for that mater lol? the serial is in the 227XX range, no letter. I have no idea what the date its from is but I'm guessing 1896 or over since it's the last date in the patent list.

any help would be appreciated, if it's not a shooter it's no loss, I payed $40 dollars for a cool paperweight that means lol

NO! do not use modern ammo or say goodby to gun and possibly hand. These gun were not made for smokless powder cartridges (since they didnt exist at the time) The top break was a somewhat of a flawed design as it would break up with shooting and a modern cartridges pressures would certaintly help that happen. If it helps i have one and they do make decent paper weights

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/don-gammill-jr/gun-revieww-iver-johnson-32-sw/

NO! do not use modern ammo or say goodby to gun and possibly hand. These gun were not made for smokless powder cartridges (since they didnt exist at the time) The top break was a somewhat of a flawed design as it would break up with shooting and a modern cartridges pressures would certaintly help that happen. If it helps i have one and they do make decent paper weights

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/don-gammill-jr/gun-revieww-iver-johnson-32-sw/

My Webley begs to differ. [wink]

Hmm tough call, a quick google search turned up little. Reloading might be the best bet. I *might* have a source, but I have to call someone to find out the name and if they are even in business any more. Will post back if anything turns up.

My Webley begs to differ. [wink]

Damn straight. Of course, the details on the top break lock up between the Webley and the IJ are a tad different... [laugh]

The warnings of the weakness of the design are real, though I have read of people making very light loads with smokeless, but IJs are not top of the line.

Now here is a very odd question, I fire .32 ACP out of my other .32 S&W all the time, would the pressure of the 32.acp be low enough to fire the out of the revolver in question?, they fit into the cylinder perfect, but I have no intention to fire them without consulting you guys first lol

To start with condition is everything you want to make sure it locks up and the timing is not of. These type handguns where made for many years and did fire modern ammo the 32 S&W is in no way a hot load unless someone reloaded it that way. I have a bunch of these guns in 32 S&W 38 S&W 22SHORT and I use modern ammo. Do you have pictures?

yeah I took the gun apart to clean and it wont go back together at a single pin/screw, so unless somebody has a link to a disassemble guide, the gun aint even gonna be a paperweight lol

magtech makes 32S&W which I shoot out of my S&W 32 hamerless safety "lemon squeezer". S&W dates this gun @ 1884ish. lock up is very good and timming is perfect. I purchased mine with a broken Fpin. the condition tells me the pin was broken early in its life. I emailed magtech about specs on the ammo. They basically said it is well with in specs for the 32S&W.....mind you I only shoot about 20 rounds a year, sometimes.

http://www.american-firearms.com/am... Works/Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works.html

some info...... i like these old guns

Last edited:
I just bought an old Iver Johnson .32S&W top break revolver at the Marlborough gun show today, is it a safe to shoot with modern ammo, or black powder for that mater lol? the serial is in the 227XX range, no letter. I have no idea what the date its from is but I'm guessing 1896 or over since it's the last date in the patent list.

any help would be appreciated, if it's not a shooter it's no loss, I payed $40 dollars for a cool paperweight that means lol

Take the grips off and if you find a coil spring rather than a leaf spring it was designed for smokeless powder. If the gun is tight and appears to function correctly buy some 32 S&W ammo and go for it. Do not shoot 32 ACP ammo out of this gun.

Tell ya what, My grandfathers been on a .32 revolver kick for a while. Approaching 80, he doesn't like recoil any more, and decided the flavor of the month was going to be .32. He hand loads damn near everything. If hes still doing the .32 thing when he gets back from Florida this spring, I'll ask if he can make up a few cylinders worth of BP .32 S&W for you. For all I know he has some original BP stuff laying around in a box.

Back
Top Bottom