• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Help organizing ML Shoot

Ok did one before so I have no idea what to do as Muzzleloaders come in so many styles and take so long to shoot. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanx!

Divisions? aka, flint, sabot, 209, caps, trad, inline?

Targets used?

Number of shots per round? Sighting and for score?

Distances?

Keep flintlocks/caplocks and inline muzzleloaders in there own categories,for flintlock/caplock patched round balls only. The max yards for primitive is 100yrds and over 100yrds for inlines. Paper silhouettes of squirrels,deer,fox and other assorted critters can be used for targets.

Last edited:
I have not shot a ML match but I have seen a couple the Mansfield club. The shoots appear to be geared toward quirky tests of skill rather than a regimented test of shooting ability shot at bull’s-eye type targets.

They shoot at playing cards to cut them in half, plastic bottles, balloons, golf balls, potatoes, clay pigeons, steel plates and similar targets. It seems to be scored by how many “skills” you complete.

Respectfully,
Jkelly

Ok, Have you shot an ML shoot? Is it the norm to shoot animal targets as opposed to round targets?

I have shot many traditional ML shoots, normally you shoot at paper silhouettes because traditional ML are not pin point accurate also charcoal hanging from strings, Popsicle sticks, split a ball on a hatchet and try to hit two targets placed on the side are used a lot. Different amounts of points are awarded depending on how difficult the target was. Many have tomahawk throwing and fire starting as challenges.

Last edited:
There are several N-SSA Civil War skirmishes which take place in the New England area throughout the Summer. The targets used are conventional paper ring targets, clay birds secured to a carboard backer at 50 and 100 yds, 4x4 tiles suspended from wire, clay birds suspended from wire. Perhaps you may find one or two of those ideas useful.

Back
Top Bottom