• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help identifying Colt revolver

Hello all. I have a Colt revolver my father gave me. All he told me was its missing parts and knows nothing else about it. On the barrel it says single action army 45. Based on the schematics on numrichs site it doesn't have the same inner workings. I put the serial number in Colts lookup and it gave me 31 different guns. Based on what I can tell it is a Officer's Model, Second Issue Based on the Army Special/Official Police. The only problem is that from all my reading it wasn't offered in 45 colt. I did insert a 45 colt dummy round into the cylinder and it chambered. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been taking up space in the safe and I need to decide if its worth fixing or just getting rid of it. From what I can tell its missing the main spring and firing pin. Sorry about the poor pictures I can get a better camera and upload more if needed. Also if you know of a gunsmith that is knowledgeable about colts I'm willing to send it to them. Thanks

Attachments

• WIN_20171029_182037.JPG
    WIN_20171029_182037.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 175
  • WIN_20171029_182105.JPG
    WIN_20171029_182105.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 161
The barrel says single action? Is it actually a double action? It looks like a double action with a swing out cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barrel says single action? Is it actually a double action? It looks like a double action with a swing out cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barrel does say single action and the cylinder swings but I think you are correct that its double action but am unsure how to verify that with the main spring missing.

Last edited:
if thats a vintage single action army barrel it's worth a few bucks my buddy the saa "expert" tells me. don't junk it.

My guess is that it's a New Service that was re barreled. The New Service is a very large revolver and was offered in .45 Colt. I think it was discontinued in the 30s.

Back
Top Bottom