NEAR-Fest IX, 4/29-4/30

Turbocharged

NES Member
I figured it was that time of year; Time for an NES Near-fest thread. [smile]
I expect it to be a normal Near-fest, which is to say, the BEST flea market in the northeast.

Who's going what day, camping, etc. etc....

I will be with my ham radio friends with a booth in one of the commercial buildings. I'll be there both days. I'll probably be offering iDAS/Nexedge programming on both Icom and Kenwood radios.

I may go on Saturday...depends on the weather. I am usually looking for parts for various projects.

I'll be there again with the pop-up.
Most likely in the same spot on the camper slabs with the water and power hookups.
Here's the aerial photo, I'll be in the red circle.

Deerfest1.jpg

If you're not setting up to sell anything what is a good time to get there Friday? I saw video of 2009 and it looked like the Oklahoma Land Rush when they opened the gates.

I always go up Friday morning, sooo I hope to run into all. I'll be set up in my normal spot with about 20 of my buddies across from relaxation grove. Pray for NO rain... Zap, oty, we'll see ya up there.....c-phr, play hookie ;)

I always go up Friday morning, sooo I hope to run into all. I'll be set up in my normal spot with about 20 of my buddies across from relaxation grove. Pray for NO rain... Zap, oty, we'll see ya up there.....c-phr, play hookie ;)

Griz, if it rains, you can hang out in the commercial building with the Taunton crew. We'll be there both days.

Does anyone remember when there was an annual hamfest at the Manchester airport back in the 80s? It was held on the tarmac in July and there was no rain clouds in site...just sweltering heat. We used to call the "skillet" fest. I remember there were a few particularly brutal years...

I pulled the camper out of storage today, aired up the tires, repacked the wheel bearings and fixed all the lights.

Now I'm good to go for the season. [thumbsup]

A .17 caliber bronze bore brush is just the ticket to clean the pin holes in the trailer light connectors. [wink]

I'm all packed and ready for a Fri morning trip there. I'll be set up accross from Relaxation grove with the dozen or so guys I've always been with there. We are all from SE Mass...pray for no rain. See ya there !!

Well, it was a great day for the hamfest...infact, it was the best in a long time!! Had an eyeball with n1oty, zap, and radio from NES, and of course many , many ham friends! 73 from W1GRC

Wrapped up two days at Near-Fest. Sold a few things. Met up with Uncle Griz and Zappa on Friday, and Radio both days. Friday was the better day weather wise. Perfect, actually. We ran on 900 and VHF iDAS. We made an agreement with a group in NH/Vermont to link iDAS repeaters. We also have plans to bring a trunked VHF iDAS system to the fall Near-Fest on licensed commercial frequencies. Any ham with iDAS/Nexedge capability should contact me for a code plug in the summer.

Great to see everybody!!!! Hope everyone enjoys the goodies they picked up at the fest. Thank god we got that sprinkle on Saturday morning, the legend of "Rainchester" may now live on intact.[smile]

I was there for a few hours Saturday morning...actually the first time I've been and didn't buy anything. I went with a pocket full of cash but saw nothing that caught my fancy. The only thing I almost walked out with was a 100' roll of 450 ohm ladder line but decided I can always get that later and probably cheaper on line.

I was keeping an eye out for NES stickers etc but saw none...maybe next fall I can run into a few of you.

Good seeing all of you at Near-Fest, good time and the weather was nearly perfect.

I was somewhat disappointed with the turnout, especially Saturday, I expected a lot more sellers to be there.
I was looking pick up 4 or 5 UHF LTR Trunking Radios, such as Kenwood TK-840N's and TK-880's. All I found was one TK-880. The price was good, but it had been messed with, and will take a bit to get it back in shape.

The BIG score was on a Sirius XACT radio w/car kit and boom-box.
What made it such a great deal was the LIFETIME activation.
No subscription fee, ever. [grin]
(for the life of the receiver unit anyway)

I heard about this deal a few months ago, but didn't know the specifics of how to avoid paying the subscription fee. (no, they're not hacked or bootlegged)
I spoke with the vendor and he explained it like this; Circuit City had a promo deal with Sirius back in the mid 2000's. They had a supply of units with a block of ESN's which were pre-activated. They sold them for about $400 with lifetime activation, which didn't require a subscription.
When Circuit City went out of business, a guy in NJ bought the remaining stock of unsold units at liquidation. He then began selling them to independent vendors, who in turn resold them at flea markets. One of the vendors at Deerfield was selling them for $70.
I bought one and immediately took it over to my camper to test it out. Sure enough, it worked perfectly as described. I also had it running in my car today.
I'm going to cancel the subscription on one of my other units now that I have this one.

This is a fantastic deal!
If anyone is interested, the vendor will be at MIT on 5/15 with more of these units.

[thumbsup]

I'll be there again with the pop-up.
Most likely in the same spot on the camper slabs with the water and power hookups.
Here's the aerial photo, I'll be in the red circle.

Scott, do you "pitch a tent" at all these events???

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Scott, do you "pitch a tent" at all these events???

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Wedgie.gif

Note about the XACT head units, these are NOS outdated models which have the high power RF modulators . The FCC spanked them for it and told them to turn down the power.

These can be a hoot in a traffic jam.
Tune the modulator to Kiss108 and give their listeners some uncensored comedy or Howard Stern.

[laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom