• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Navy SEAL to receive Medal of Honor for U.S. civilian rescue in Afghanistan

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
A senior enlisted SEAL will be the first sailor in a decade to receive the Medal of Honor, for a mission to rescue an American civilian hostage in Afghanistan in 2012, according to a Tuesday release from the White House.

President Obama will present Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Edward Byers with the nation's highest award for valor in a Feb. 29 ceremony at the White House, the release said.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...onor-us-civilian-rescue-afghanistan/79706520/

Well deserved by Byers and no doubt others with him. Navy Seals are absolutely extraordinary, deserving but rarely receiving the recognition they deserve because of the nature of their mission.

OUTSTANDING!

I hope someday the whole story comes out........

I'm sure it will someday, and immediately some panty waisted mouth breather will want Chief Byers brought up on charges for his brutality. [thinking]

Well done Chief, YOU are what's keeping America great.

The best getting the best from the worst. Can't they put a stand in for obumer the Seal deserves better.

One of the very few good things I can say about this admin is they push awards. I never understood how so few awards were given out during the worst years of Iraq.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I hope someday the whole story comes out........

The hostage wrote a book.
"a 2014 book, "Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by SEAL Team Six.""

I would request USPS and ask the mailman to put it on me.

"A 1905 executive order by President Teddy Roosevelt requires that Medal of Honor recipients come to Washington to receive the medal from the president."

From the article:

"His awards and decorations include five Bronze Stars with combat "V" device, two Purple Hearts,
a Joint Service Commendation with "V," three Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals —
one with "V"— and two Combat Action Ribbons."

One of the very few good things I can say about this admin is they push awards. I never understood how so few awards were given out during the worst years of Iraq.

Mike

Just some info on your comment:

The Medal of Honor Disgrace

The system for military awards is broken. The Medal of Honor has been awarded only 13 times in more than a decade of conflict while deserving recipients are passed over.

DoD urged to review awards for possible upgrades to MOH

The Pentagon is poised to order the military services to review more than 1,000 medals issued since the 9/11 terror attacks for possible upgrade to theMedal of Honor, the country's highest award issued for valor in combat, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

Vets of Iraq, Afghanistan being short-changed on the Medal of Honor?

The Medal of Honor is the nation's highest military honor, signifying extraordinary acts of valor.

But increasingly, those who have served in our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are asking: Why are so few of today's troops considered worthy of the honor?

My unit was embarassingly stingy with any awards whatsoever. As an E3 I ran 400+ foreign troops through machinegun classes and ranges and I didnt get so much as a letter of appreciation. In fact there is zero record that I spent a month as an embedded trainer other than pictures. Normally thats what something like a NAM is reserved for.

One of our NCOs ran from position to position under enemy fire to coordinate with his split up squad and got an NCM-V... something that should habe probably been a Bronze star... The 19 year old kids who spent the entire deployment taking point with the mine detectors while we had IEDs everywhere never got shit either... again a pat on the back medal with no V device would have been nice for those guys. of course our entire scout sniper platoon got NAMs just for being snipers... and anyone who worked in the company office near the brass got a NAM. One of my docs was awarded a NAM-V after our deployment, from his PREVIOUS deployment 5 years earlier that got lost. He ran under fire to treat wounded Marines and continued to do so while getting shot at among other things... again should have been more than a NAM. Another friend of mine got blown up in 06, launched from the turret, injured his knees and ankle and was knocked out. Came to and ground medevacd his two amputew friends to the hospital where he blacked out from the brain injury and himseld spent days there being treated for TBI and shrapnel wounds, rolled ankle, etc... as far as I know he got nothing but was put in for a bronze star that got denied somehwere along the way.

My Army buddy who is an officer got a Bronze Star with no V just for service, he said all E6s and above got them on his deployment... it was just how it was.

The whole thing is definitely ****ed but when you read any Navy Cross or Silver Star citation 99% of them should be MOHs.

Mike

Last edited:
My unit was embarassingly stingy with any awards whatsoever. As an E3 I ran 400+ foreign troops through machinegun classes and ranges and I didnt get so much as a letter of appreciation. In fact there is zero record that I spent a month as an embedded trainer other than pictures. Normally thats what something like a NAM is reserved for.

One of our NCOs ran from position to position under enemy fire to coordinate with his split up squad and got an NCM-V... something that should habe probably been a Bronze star... The 19 year old kids who spent the entire deployment taking point with the mine detectors while we had IEDs everywhere never got shit either... again a pat on the back medal with no V device would have been nice for those guys. of course our entire scout sniper platoon got NAMs just for being snipers... and anyone who worked in the company office near the brass got a NAM. One of my docs was awarded a NAM-V after our deployment, from his PREVIOUS deployment 5 years earlier that got lost. He ran under fire to treat wounded Marines and continued to do so while getting shot at among other things... again should have been more than a NAM. Another friend of mine got blown up in 06, launched from the turret, injured his knees and ankle and was knocked out. Came to and ground medevacd his two amputew friends to the hospital where he blacked out from the brain injury and himseld spent days there being treated for TBI and shrapnel wounds, rolled ankle, etc... as far as I know he got nothing but was put in for a bronze star that got denied somehwere along the way.

My Army buddy who is an officer got a Bronze Star with no V just for service, he said all E6s and above got them on his deployment... it was just how it was.

The whole thing is definitely ****ed but when you read any Navy Cross or Silver Star citation 99% of them should be MOHs.

Mike

The Bronze Star has been so diluted in the past 15 years because it became senior grade automatic award in the Army. The good news is that the DoD awards review going on appears to be taking steps to change the criteria and a lot of those non V BSMs will become MSMs.

I have my grandfather's BSM citation from WWII hanging on my office wall. It pisses me off when I look at it and know that a LT who was in charge of the Battalion coffee maker got the same award just for being an LT. Or a Master Sergeant who rode a desk while his guys patrolled everyday or a hundred other scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom