"Narcos" m4 style stock in the late '80s?

Lots of info about the early stuff here: http://www.retroblackrifle.com.

They played with some weird stuff in the early days. Check out the Colt 608:
608-1-717x220.jpg

^^^ Have not seen this before, thanks for posting it.

More weird from the Vietnam war... Just wanted to share.

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

referring to the pic on page 1 with the low mounted scope blocked by the front sight.

Surprisingly this can work with a magnified scope if the front objective is large enough. The pieces of the glass on the edge see around the base an you appear to see through the FSB. It darkens the view a bit, but otherwise works fine.

This also requires a scope with a long enough focal length so the FSB is out of focus. On a 1-4 you will see a shadow of the FSB. On a 3-9x32, you won't see a thing.

I've seen that thread , I wish they showed the top half of the mags.

I've heard (wasn't there, before my time) that the RVN soldiers would sometimes weld the bottom of an AK mag to the top of an AR mag to get additional capacity.

I've heard (wasn't there, before my time) that the RVN soldiers would sometimes weld the bottom of an AK mag to the top of an AR mag to get additional capacity.

I'm very skeptical of that - weren't the M-16 mags made from aluminum and AK mags made from steel? Can dissimilar metals be welded together?

Supposedly there's a thread on ar15.com about AK magazines and M16s in Vietnam.

How does one conduct a search over there? I tried to find the thread, but no luck. Can you provide a link?

I'm very skeptical of that - weren't the M-16 mags made from aluminum and AK mags made from steel? Can dissimilar metals be welded together?

The very early M16 mags were steel I think. Maybe I'm wrong, again before my time.

Email follow up received today from a veteran of MACV-SOG.

Andrew -

Your question ref AK mags being converted to fit in the M16 rifle.

I’m not sure how widespread this was, but I can confirm, yes, a number of these converted AK magazines were fielded.

Rick Arons, a good friend with the 3rd Mobile Strike Force [Mike Force], 5th Special Forces Group, told me that a weapons guy there had devised a conversion process, and that the modified AK mags held (I think) 36 rounds. I had the impression these were being made only for the 3rd Mike Force’s Cambode and U.S. soldiers.

The details have faded, but I know one step involved “pinching” the top of the AK mag so it could fit into an M16 magazine well. There was undoubtedly more than that, but that’s all I recall these many years later.

I never came across such a converted AK mag in SOG.

Also, yes, I do make occasional public appearances. I’ll definitely be at the 2016 NRA National Meeting in Louisville, KY, conducting a 2-hour seminar. Not yet confirmed is my appearance with Savage Arms at the 2016 SHOT Show in Vegas. Have been too busy working on a WWI history to do much more.

Best Regards,

JOHN PLASTER

Andy,

holy crap, you know john plaster!!??!!

Is there any chance we could get him to do a talk? Maybe to raise money for Comm2A??

I'd be all over putting that together. I would LOVE to hear him speak. About just about anything. It doesn't need to be vietnam war stories.

Don

Just to put this into better context in terms of the timeline:

A lot of the raids that are shown in Narcos, especially those conducted by Search Bloc (their leader is the guy pictured in the original post) began in 1989, and Search Bloc wasn't actually formally organized by the Colombian President until 1992. The show doesn't do a particularly good job of dealing with the timeline, although it's an absolutely superb TV series. The ramping up of violence and killings didn't happen until 1989 (that was the year of the airplane bombing). So Season 1 covers Escobar's rise over more than a decade, but it's mostly focused on things that happened after 1989. As far as I can tell, the season ends some point in 1992. The show has been renewed for a second season, which I'm guessing will cover the rest of '92 through his death in 1993 unless they draw it out.

Just to put this into better context in terms of the timeline:

A lot of the raids that are shown in Narcos, especially those conducted by Search Bloc (their leader is the guy pictured in the original post) began in 1989, and Search Bloc wasn't actually formally organized by the Colombian President until 1992. The show doesn't do a particularly good job of dealing with the timeline, although it's an absolutely superb TV series. The ramping up of violence and killings didn't happen until 1989 (that was the year of the airplane bombing). So Season 1 covers Escobar's rise over more than a decade, but it's mostly focused on things that happened after 1989. As far as I can tell, the season ends some point in 1992. The show has been renewed for a second season, which I'm guessing will cover the rest of '92 through his death in 1993 unless they draw it out.

I wish they made it longer only way I can see them stretching it out more then two season if they go back and fill in info from different point of views.

Andy,

holy crap, you know john plaster!!??!!

Is there any chance we could get him to do a talk? Maybe to raise money for Comm2A??

I'd be all over putting that together. I would LOVE to hear him speak. About just about anything. It doesn't need to be vietnam war stories.

Don

I don't know him. I contacted him through his web sight; http://www.ultimatesniper.com/

@ Andy In NH - Is that you LTMac?

It's BigEd aka RedLegs. If not disregard...

Sorry, not the Andy you are looking for.

@ Andy In NH - Is that you LTMac?

It's BigEd aka RedLegs. If not disregard...

[STRIKE=Sorry, not the Andy you are looking for.]Sorry, not the Andy you are looking for.[/STRIKE]

22034571145_f7704d1584_o.jpg

FIFY [laugh]

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

And I just finished a season 1 marathon about a half hour ago.

Currently watching Season 2 of Narcos right now, and it reminded me of this thread. Apparently between Season 1 and Season 2 the Colombian military/police developed a time machine and managed to equip themselves with the Galil Ace about 20 years early [laugh].

Apparently they are making a season 3 and 4... Looks like they will drag this out or possibly flashback and go more into depth on his rise during the 80's. Almost done with Season 2.

Currently watching Season 2 of Narcos right now, and it reminded me of this thread. Apparently between Season 1 and Season 2 the Colombian military/police developed a time machine and managed to equip themselves with the Galil Ace about 20 years early [laugh].

The series isn't very accurate on guns. For that matter, most of the guns wielded on the show are blank-firing models. I think much of the series was filmed on location in Colombia; I wonder if the laws there make it much harder to film with real guns?

Apparently they are making a season 3 and 4... Looks like they will drag this out or possibly flashback and go more into depth on his rise during the 80's. Almost done with Season 2.

Damn, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I've been marathoning through Season 1 before watching S2. I don't see how there is enough time left in Pablo's life to draw out 4 seasons. That usually means the show is going to drag poorly.

A better option would be 2-3 seasons of Pablo Escobar, and then switch to a totally different country and group of narcotics traffickers for new seasons. The Australian show Underbelly, which was absolutely brilliant (if you like Narcos, Underbelly is done in the same style and just as well), changed focus each season by doing a totally different time period and a different drug.

Last edited:
Damn, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. I've been marathoning through Season 1 before watching S2. I don't see how there is enough time left in Pablo's life to draw out 4 seasons. That usually means the show is going to drag poorly.

A better option would be 2-3 seasons of Pablo Escobar, and then switch to a totally different country and group of narcotics traffickers for new seasons. The Australian show Underbelly, which was absolutely brilliant (if you like Narcos, Underbelly is done in the same style and just as well), changed focus each season by doing a totally different time period and a different drug.

Spoiler warning: Escobar dies.

The very last line of Season 2 contains a sequel hook for Season 3, which looks like it's going to be about the Cali cartel.

Spoiler warning: Escobar dies.

The very last line of Season 2 contains a sequel hook for Season 3, which looks like it's going to be about the Cali cartel.

I'm cool with that. I'm only a couple episodes into season 2 but I liked the interaction with the Cali cartel. Sounds promising.

Back
Top Bottom