• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Narcos" m4 style stock in the late '80s?

jho

Watching Narcos and I keep seeing the Colombian swat team use m-16s with adjustable stocks.

I don't know much about the history of m-16 or ARs but weren't adjustable stocks relatively new relative to the history of this gun? Show takes place in the 80s and up to early 90s pre Pablo Escobar's death in 93. M4 introduced in 1994. Unless this stock was on m16 before the M4?

a130aaaaae02d87b15d51bc676e06f7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a CAR-15 stock in the photo?

I'd like to know how adjustable stocks evolved also!

Colt came out with the CAR-15(adjustable stock and short barrel) back in the mid 60s' IIRC and I recall seeing pics of guys in tiger stripe, presumably SF, carrying them in SEA during Vietnam.

MACV-SOG took delivery of the XM177 (w/ two-position telescoping tubular aluminum butt stock) in late 1967.

John Plaster stopped carrying a 9mm SMG in favor of an XM177. He also stopped carrying a pistol in order to carry more rifle ammunition.

xm177_450.jpg

Is that a CAR-15 stock in the photo?

I'd like to know how adjustable stocks evolved also!

Going by the pic Andy put up it looks like it might be(looks like the sling point is the same), according to imfdb though it isn't(maybe someone missed it). I'm guessing they needed a new "tanker" version for folks in vehicles(ground or air) in case they had to dismount for whatever reason so they could protect themselves while on foot. I've seen pics of tanker Mausers, Enfields, Garands, just giving the guys back then in the jungle and update I suppose.

Edit: What do you know, it looks like my head just might not be up my ass all the time. [laugh]

CAR-15 Survival Rifle

The Model 608 CAR-15 Survival Rifle was meant for use by downed aircrew. Because of the CAR-15's modular design, the Survival Rifle could be broken down into two subassemblies and stowed with four 20-round magazines in a pilot's seat pack. With only a 10-inch long barrel, the assembled weapon was 29 inches in overall length. The Survival Rifle used a fixed tubular plastic-coated aluminum buttstock and a round handguard that were not used on the other CAR-15 versions, and did not have either a forward assist or a bayonet lug. The pistol grip was chopped down, and the muzzle was equipped with either a conical flash hider or the 3.5-inch long moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15

Last edited:
Colt came out with the CAR-15(adjustable stock and short barrel) back in the mid 60s' IIRC and I recall seeing pics of guys in tiger stripe, presumably SF, carrying them in SEA during Vietnam.

MACV-SOG took delivery of the XM177 (w/ two-position telescoping tubular aluminum butt stock) in late 1967.

John Plaster stopped carrying a 9mm SMG in favor of an XM177. He also stopped carrying a pistol in order to carry more rifle ammunition.

xm177_450.jpg

Going by the pic Andy put up it looks like it might be(looks like the sling point is the same), according to imfdb though it isn't(maybe someone missed it). I'm guessing they needed a new "tanker" version for folks in vehicles(ground or air) in case they had to dismount for whatever reason so they could protect themselves while on foot. I've seen pics of tanker Mausers, Enfields, Garands, just giving the guys back then in the jungle and update I suppose.

Edit: What do you know, it looks like my head just might not be up my ass all the time. [laugh]

Thanks for schooling me guys. Now I wonder if that's actually what the Colombian LEOs were equipped with.

"Narcos" m4 style stock in the late '80s?

Now that I'm looking at it again it looks to be an M4(with an era correct stock) going by the rear sight, notice the CAR-15 carry handle and it's smooth sloping transition at the rear as opposed to the vertical-angle-horizontal transition from the show pic.

e70841d4eb846dc9a426611cef043851.jpg
b7fea3ce2562f7fe8db6914d24bf4770.jpg

To throw another in the mix, this is his flat top on a different mission. Did they have flat top ARs back then? I doubt he is seeing much through that scope. It looks like it needs a riser.

de27348f2a9858cb123fa3b1c07b7a8c.jpg
4262f112ce10d197e846b8cb63912aeb.jpg

I was also wondering about some of the firearms in this show. In particular, there was a scene in one of the earlier episodes where the Columbian troops had a bunch of flat tops with ACOGs on them. I know the ACOG came out in 1987, but I really wouldn't expect Columbia to have been an early adopter of the flat top receiver and the ACOG, so it seemed a little out of place.

The show is very good, I am enjoying it a lot.

How's the show btw?

Its a great show. It's primarily in Spanish so you need to pay attention. Fortunately, the main character says more with his eyes and head shake than words.

For what it's worth, women folk enjoy the show as its not too gory and has a tinge on romanticism, which, I guess, they like.

I am debating if I want to watch it, as I am preoccupied with Sense8.

If you like Sence8 you'll love Continuum.

Last edited:
Its a great show. It's primarily in Spanish so you need to pay attention. Fortunately, the main character says more with his eyes and head shake than words.

For what it's worth, women folk enjoy the show as its not too gory and has a tinge on romanticism, which, I guess, they like.

While its less gory than walking dead it does show pictures of dead bodies from the actual drug war in Colombia as a disclaimer.

If by tinge of romanticism you mean it shows boob then yes it is relatively romantic. It's mostly misogyny

While its less gory than walking dead it does show pictures of dead bodies from the actual drug war in Colombia as a disclaimer.

If by tinge of romanticism you mean it shows boob then yes it is relatively romantic. It's mostly misogyny

misogyny is the new sexy!

No? OK, I'll crawl back into my cave now...

Both pictures of the flattop the rifle looks slightly bent, just a camera illusion?

It's probably rubber. Alot of the time you see a gun in a film/show that isn't a closeup or being fired, it's rubber or plastic. Lighter for the actors to carry over many takes, and less likely they'll hurt somebody running around with it.

Lots of info about the early stuff here: http://www.retroblackrifle.com.

They played with some weird stuff in the early days. Check out the Colt 608:
608-1-717x220.jpg

Both great posts. There are a few odd survival pistols/carbines out there that are very interesting.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/46282899472/car-15-survival-rifle-a-simplified-lightened

P1280033.jpg

Colt Stamped 1911 and .45 Liberator:

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/

1379B-JPG633536159260120365.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think they cared too much about accuracy of the firearms and equipment. I just watched episode 6 and one of the CIA guys definitely had an M4 with a Magpul stock, one of the ones with the battery compartments, STR or ACS. I don't think there was anything that even looked like that back then. Also all the tricked out uzis they showed earlier weren't too period accurate.

It's kind of too bad because it would've been pretty easy to just give them all M16A1s and A2s and that would've been good enough.

"Che" and "Carlos" both did a really good job showing off retro guns used by revolutionaries and terrorists in the 50s, 60s, 70s.

I just watched the first episode. Looks pretty good so far.

As far as Walking Dead goes, I stopped watching a while ago. There's only so much bad acting and monotonous gore I could take before it ended up being a boring snore fest.

Back
Top Bottom