Nahant Library and Alvin York's Maxim Gun?

Maxim does belong in NE

Hey Gang, I came across this thread and wanted to share a bit of info about Sgt. York. Truth is York was one of 17 men sent to silence german machine guns on 8 OCT 18, many of the men in this detachment were from NE, including the detachiment ranking officer Sgt. Bernie Early(CT). Also in the group of heroes were Percy Beardsley (CT) Cpl. Otis Merrithew (Brookline MA) Joseph Konotski (Kornacki) (Holyoke, MA), and Pat Donohue (Lawrence, MA). A few of these guys were from NY. There is a website about them (the-othersixteen.org). They have long refuted the claim that York acomplished this feat "singlehandedly" and York himself has said the same. They are all long gone now, but the family members of the Othersixteen have gotten together to gain for them the recognition they justly deserve. If I sound bias it is only due to the fact that I have seen the documentation and articles supporting these men. There are comments in this thread that knock the ATF agent for not knowing who York was. The sad reality is that nobody knows the other brave men who fought hard in this battle only to be overlooked by the government and screwed by Warner Bros. in 1941 when the movie was made.Check it out.

Hey Gang, I came across this thread and wanted to share a bit of info about Sgt. York. Truth is York was one of 17 men sent to silence german machine guns on 8 OCT 18, many of the men in this detachment were from NE, including the detachiment ranking officer Sgt. Bernie Early(CT). Also in the group of heroes were Percy Beardsley (CT) Cpl. Otis Merrithew (Brookline MA) Joseph Konotski (Kornacki) (Holyoke, MA), and Pat Donohue (Lawrence, MA). A few of these guys were from NY. There is a website about them (the-othersixteen.org). They have long refuted the claim that York acomplished this feat "singlehandedly" and York himself has said the same. They are all long gone now, but the family members of the Othersixteen have gotten together to gain for them the recognition they justly deserve. If I sound bias it is only due to the fact that I have seen the documentation and articles supporting these men. There are comments in this thread that knock the ATF agent for not knowing who York was. The sad reality is that nobody knows the other brave men who fought hard in this battle only to be overlooked by the government and screwed by Warner Bros. in 1941 when the movie was made.Check it out.

You didn't read very carefully, I bashed the ATF moron for not know who SGT York was. Check post # 4. Thank you for providing a link for us to learn more about the rest of the group.

To Navy Moose

I did read carefully, the ATF bashing was justified. I was just trying to make the point that as Paul Harvey would say there is "the rest of teh story". Thanks for looking into the Other Sixteen!!

I just got back from the Machine gun exhibit in Nahant. The turnout wasn't bad. I saw one SUV which might have belonged to an NES member, NRA stickers but no NES sticker.... I spoke to one of the people from the Library Trustees, and he mentioned that Tierney did the absolute minimum because he couldn't be seen putting a gun back on the street. I was there between 3pm and 3:30pm.

I headed over there today. The Nahant Library was a quaint old home with a library in it with steam heating. Kind of a cool library. However, when I got in the room I overheard one of the two official picture takers talking with someone about how this is just an ugly piece of steel and implying that there is something wrong with people who wanted to see it. I felt like saying to this bitch that if moonbats like her could mind their own business and accept that the world is not better off if we are all carbon copies of each other, that her precious library would have been able to sell this piece for more than the reported token $10K payment they got. Possibly to the tune of $100K frankly. Anyhow, I bit my tongue and said nothing. Thank god it is heading to a good home, where it's history is as valued as the men who made that history.

The gun was in great condition and it was cool looking it over. I was pissed at how they sold this event. It was a photo OP to them, not a chance to educate about the history of the gun and it's events. Noone talking about York, or WWI, or no book selections out on the subjects. "Just pay $5 and get your photo. If your not paying, move when we need to take a photo." Anyhow, they had one of those freebie cable locks on the thing while an uniformed cop stood near it. This is what the gun storage laws have come down too...

I just got back from the Machine gun exhibit in Nahant. The turnout wasn't bad. I saw one SUV which might have belonged to an NES member, NRA stickers but no NES sticker.

That may have been me. I was there from 2:30 - 3:00.
Was it a Gold Ford SUV with a Ham radio antenna?
BTW, I was wearing a really nice NRA hat too.

I spoke to one of the people from the Library Trustees, and he mentioned that Tierney did the absolute minimum because he couldn't be seen putting a gun back on the street.

I heard that too. They said that Kennedy was actually more helpful than Tierney was.
I expected more of a turnout, but I hate lines and crowds so it worked out well. I was disappointed that they didn't allow personal cameras. I paid the $5 and got my photo taken by them. They took my info and said they'd mail it. I asked if they could email it to me instead because a digital copy would be far more useful to me than a hard copy.
I spoke with a Mr. James L. Bailou from Salisbury, he said he was a writer for the "Small Arms Review" and was a wealth of knowledge on the subject of MG's. He had a nice hardcover book on the table with photos and info about this and other MG's of WWI. This particular example is a Maxim model 08/15, manufactured by Erfurt in March of 1918, water cooled, 7.92x57 caliber, which feeds from a 100 round belt that's enclosed in a snaildrum magazine.
The magazine was NOT with this particular gun.
Mr. Bailou took my photo with the Maxim and said it would be published in an upcoming issue of the Small Arms Review.
While I was there, I asked a few people if they were NES members, but nobody answered in the affirmative. My friend Debbie, (and fellow NES member) known here as "BigBird" also went to see the Maxim, but I missed her by about 5 minutes. I actually passed her on Nahant st. as I was leaving.
I wonder if Navy Moose met her?

I didn't see anyone with an NES sticker on their car, just one guy with an NRA sticker on his SUV. I was hoping to see some stickers on cars and discretely ask if people were NES.

I paid my $5 and they allowed me to photograph the Maxim. I took only a few shots because the line was long and I wasn't allowed to move the Maxim at all [sad]. They photographed me with my camera.

The trustee told me The Swimmer and Jean Claude didn't respond to their requests.

If you saw a green Camry with NH tags on the hill near the playground, that was my car.

Last edited:
I parked behind you. Were you sitting in the corner?

No, I was walking around. I spent a few minutes at the table by the door reading that hardcover book about the Maxims and speaking with Mr. Baliou.
I was wearing a black and camo NRA hat with the raised embroidered letters.

No, I was walking around. I spent a few minutes at the table by the door reading that hardcover book about the Maxims and speaking with Mr. Baliou.
I was wearing a black and camo NRA hat with the raised embroidered letters.

We crossed like two ships in the night I guess. I also didn't see any book or other material.

I got there around 4. Jim was gone but I talked with a few folks. I knew both cops working there and we caught up on old times.

The gun was in good shape for it's age and storage conditions. I offered 10 times the going rate for a picture of me holding it on my motorcycle. They would not go for it.

One cop did tell me that the ATF contacted the PD and all but ordered them to destroy it!

Back
Top Bottom