N.J. Court Says Americans Have No Right To Buy Handguns

A New Jersey appeals court has concluded that Americans have no Second Amendment right to buy a handgun.

In a case decided last week, the superior court upheld a state law saying that nobody may possess "any handgun" without obtaining law enforcement approval and permission in advance.

That outcome might seem like something of a surprise, especially after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled last year in the D.C. v. Heller case that the Second Amendment guarantees "the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation."

But New Jersey Appellate Division Judge Stephen Skillman wrote on behalf of a unanimous three-judge panel that Heller "has no impact upon the constitutionality of" the state law.

That's because, Skillman said, the Supreme Court did not strike down the District of Columbia's de facto handgun ban but instead simply ordered the city to issue a permit. In other words, while Americans may have the right in general to possess arms, the exact contours of that right have not been mapped, especially as the Second Amendment applies to state laws. (The court's majority opinion last year said: "We therefore assume that petitioners' issuance of a license will satisfy respondent's prayer for relief and do not address the licensing requirement.")

Look for the Supreme Court to revisit this question in a few months when it hears a case called McDonald v. Chicago. It's a constitutional challenge to Chicago's restrictive gun laws, which prohibit anyone from possessing firearms -- even in their homes -- "unless such person is the holder of a valid registration certificate for such firearm."

New Jersey's laws are similar. They say: "No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder... has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section."

Another section dealing with licensing says: "No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth." Some of the exceptions involve criminal records, for instance.

What prompted the current lawsuit was a request for a handgun purchase permit that Anthony Dubov submitted to the East Windsor Chief of Police. The police chief denied Dubov's request without giving any reason, in what the appeals court later ruled was a violation of state law. The current East Windsor police chief is William Spain.

Oddly, the trial judge upheld that denial, without asking the police chief to testify to explain himself (another violation of state law) and after taking the unusual step of contacting Dubov's previous employers to ask about his background.

Dubov's attorney, Michael Nieschmidt, argued that the state licensing scheme was unconstitutionally vague and therefore violated the Second Amendment.

Skillman concluded that while the Second Amendment doesn't apply, state law and precedent nevertheless required that Dubov receive more due process than he did. The appeals court wrote: "Accordingly, the trial court's affirmance of the police chief's denial of appellant's application for a firearms purchase permit is reversed, and the case is remanded for an evidentiary hearing in conformity with this opinion."

Credit
Source

(Its worth clicking on the links, there area lot of secondary source links embedded in the article)

In a case decided last week, the superior court upheld a state law saying that nobody may possess "any handgun" without obtaining law enforcement approval and permission in advance.

Is this really any different then the COP deciding who can and can not have a LTC which you are required to have to buy a handgun in MA?

I'm going to be interested in how this plays out. IANAL but it would seem (if this specific question is addressed by the SC) that it could have some ramifications here in MA. I'm not that familiar with NJ laws but this doesn't seem any different than someone living in a black or red town here.

Liberals scream and holler about due process for suspected terrorists that aren't even citizens of this country but actually want to deprive the rest of us of those same rights [thinking]

Is this really any different then the COP deciding who can and can not have a LTC which you are required to have to buy a handgun in MA?

Not much, but I believe in NJ you're required to get a new permit for each handgun you want to buy. At least that's the way it was when I lived there in the '70s.

Not much, but I believe in NJ you're required to get a new permit for each handgun you want to buy. At least that's the way it was when I lived there in the '70s.

Believe NY is similar. You're allowed 10 hg's per permit, but you have to register each weapon to your permit.

Something like that

F'ing idiots. They're gonna push and push until they cause a revolution.

I truly think that is their goal. They think that they will be able to use the military to quell such a revolution and kill enough of the dissenters that their goal of a dictatorship will be complete because there will be very few dissenters left afterward.

What they do not count on is that fact that the men who serve in the military are not blindly loyal, and do not blindly follow orders. I seriously doubt that many soldiers would be able to follow orders to shoot tens of thousands of their fellow citizens.

Wow a state worse than Mass, Jersey drive south until you smell it, than east until you step in it. Corrupt anti-gun bastards. [frown]

I lived there for a while..the people were nice but that's about all. And to think they might allow Corzine to stay in office. F'ing idiots...almost as bad as those who vote for Kerry, Kennedy, and Frank.

-MS

This from a state that had 39 of it's politicians arrested by the feds not that long ago.[sad2]

Same in the 90's, and aside from the new AWB stupidities I don't think it's changed much. There some nominal charge ($5?), and they expired after a few months. Most people (er, the people I hang around with at least) would make sure to always have one handy, just in case. This of course led to "huh, this one is expiring, guess I have to go buy something."

Quote: McDonald v. Chicago. It's a constitutional challenge to Chicago's restrictive gun laws, which prohibit anyone from possessing firearms -- even in their homes -- "unless such person is the holder of a valid registration certificate for such firearm." unquote

Here in CT it's really interesting.

The law stipulates that you CAN have a handgun on your person in your home or place of business without having a permit. Really!

For the longest time a homeowner or business owner could go to any shop, buy a handgun, fill out a background check, wait a few weeks until it cleared, and then drive to the shop, pick it up and....by law....travel directly to the home or place of business where the handgun would reside permanently. The owner could NOT take it out of the house or transport it anywhere without a permit.

Well, the State complains about "loopholes" all the time that favor gun owners. They, themselves, have created their own loophole, however. Today, if ANYONE wants to buy a handgun for ANY reason, they MUST have been issued a permit. There is also something called a "certificate of elegibility' but it, too, requires a safety course so you might as well get a permit. So, in a nutshell, while a business or homeowner CAN have possession of a handgun on their property, they CAN'T buy one without a permit. Of course selling them one or giving them one is illegal and would be considered a "straw purchase". The only way one can get into the home or business without a permit is if the owner brings one with them when they move. Don't have one? You have to get a permit.

Neat the way the State got that catch 22 into the regs.

Rome

Same in the 90's, and aside from the new AWB stupidities I don't think it's changed much. There some nominal charge ($5?), and they expired after a few months. Most people (er, the people I hang around with at least) would make sure to always have one handy, just in case. This of course led to "huh, this one is expiring, guess I have to go buy something."

Apparently the fun deal is getting more than one approved at once.... Not sure if they changed it, but I remember guys down in NJ getting more than one at a time. [laugh]

-Mike

How is this any worse than Massachusetts? The Massachusetts SJC ruled years ago that neither the 2nd Amendment or the Massachusetts Constitution didn't guarantee any individual right to possess firearms. And until such time as the SCOTUS rules that 2nd Amendment protections are incorporated against the states, both the NJ and MA courts are technically correct. Of course not every state is so bull-headed; others have anticipated such a ruling and decided that their citizens do indeed have such a right. As to our discretionary license system, while restrictions against carry might remain, discretionary issue of LTCs will be a thing of the past once the court rules and the first Massachusetts citizen appeals a denial for any non-statutory reason.

Ken

Section 15 of our CT state Constitution clearly spells out the right to own firearms in no uncertain terms.

However, like MA, some of our big-city Chiefs are adding onerous additional regulations on a whim to anyone applying for a pistol permit in their town. In some cases it goes well beyond just gathering info but is really a inmidation tactic. Most towns, however, are slick and snot and permits go through without a hitch.

This is how the State will continue to curtial gun ownership. It's all incremental.

Rome

Pfft. Who needs hand guns when you have residual radioactivity? If you're in NJ, just throw dirt at people.

Not a good precedent. [sad2]

All joking aside, the above statement is how I really feel. Only a matter of time before someone in this state says "What, you're gonna out-do us? We'll show you..."

Back
Top Bottom