Mystery as man dies after getting stuck four-feet down in water slide 'support pipe' at Arizona aquatic park

He wanted to know what it was like to be Richard Gere's gerbil. ;)

Sucks to be him. Transient. I wonder if he thought it was the slide or thought it was a good place to hang out or what. Damn.

Around 12.30am, a Scottsdale police officer was making rounds in the area when he heard what sounded like muffled calls for help.

The officer found the voice coming from a pipe that helps support one of the water slides and officers were able to communicate with the victim - a 32-year-old man said to be a transient
I'm guessing he wasn't there for a quick dip-n-slide.

I'm guessing he wasn't there for a quick dip-n-slide.
On the one hand, a big structure like that
may have some obscure voids that are like capsule hotels for the homeless.
Whenever we take a few sedate turns on the Deck 4 jogging track
on the Disney cruise ships, we pass a few hidey-holes.
IMG_1378.jpg

There are webcams covering the passageway,
but if I ever had to pull a Ben Finney (or a Jerzy Kosiński)
I know where I'd hole up.

OTOH, it took me a day to realize it, but
there's a slim chance the dude was a metal thief looking to steal copper cabling.
(And quite possibly one of a gang, who all split when he fell down the pipe).
No news reports of that; I'm jus' sayin'.

What a way to go. I think cavers are insane, being trapped like that is a recurring nightmare.
Word is, the one thing that scuba divers and spelunkers agree on 100%
is that cave divers are totally insane.

I knew some cave divers back in the day. Serious tech divers in New England. One of them Was teaching a class and cave diving came up. He said if anything breaks, your dead. Mask, fin etc.

I knew some cave divers back in the day. Serious tech divers in New England. One of them Was teaching a class and cave diving came up. He said if anything breaks, your dead. Mask, fin etc.
just a big nope right there.
was reading up on that when i was young and braver/stupider. "we went into the cavern, and it was beautiful, crystal clear water......then our fins kicked up the sediment on the cave bottom and the visibility went to 1 foot...." o_O

even above water caving is not risk free. Friend, who was a big time caver, told me of some cave in PA where there is a long tube you crawl into before you get to a bigger cavern. Some guy climbed in, and got wedged in the tube. they had to tie a rope around him, dislocate his shoulder, and pull him out. sounds like BIGTIME fun to me.

I WILL explore such stuff. I went caving up in the slingerlands once, was fun. Luckily i brought a hard hat! Lots of bats inside (gives you a clue about how long ago that was). Probably all the easy access caves are boarded up by now...too many yahoos

Last edited:
I got freaked out the episode of Dirty Jobs when Mike went looking for cave insects or something. No freaking way. I'd have noped right out of a ton of what they had him do. "Oh look - this new crag. Why don't you check it out, Mike. Just don't get stuck. And don't fail to find something."

He got stuck.

that's ridiculous. Caving has a very high level of safety due to redundancy. I always dove with a spare mask too as did most cavers.

I WILL explore such stuff. I went caving up in the slingerlands once, was fun. Luckily i brought a hard hat! Lots of bats inside (gives you a clue about how long ago that was). Probably all the easy access caves are boarded up by now...too many yahoos

Any cave full of bats isn't a good place for people to be. Bats are reservoirs for all sorts of horrible diseases that turn people's insides into goo. HIV, Rabies, Ebola, Marburg, and now of course Wuhan, are all diseases originating in bats. Anything mice or rats get too, bats can carry.

Any cave full of bats isn't a good place for people to be. Bats are reservoirs for all sorts of horrible diseases that turn people's insides into goo. HIV, Rabies, Ebola, Marburg, and now of course Wuhan, are all diseases originating in bats. Anything mice or rats get too, bats can carry.
yeah, i know. filthy animals.
but back then, i did not care that much.....we are all invincible when young

that's ridiculous. Caving has a very high level of safety due to redundancy. I always dove with a spare mask too as did most cavers.
that is the main reason i gave up diving early on. the one thing i never could learn how to do is swim without the mask on. Every breath i took without a mask, water would go up my nose. I would be there swimming around the training pool, with one hand holding my nose closed. I guess most people have some sort of involuntary muscle closure in your sinus that lets you breath in without taking in water thru the nose. I do not have that.

I figured if i ever did lose my mask 100' down, it would probably be needing both of my hands to get out of it!

i could take my mask off and don it again just fine....
i remember my certification dive, all my gear in my hands, tank turned off, and you jump into this 45' deep part of a lake in CT. I passed, but by holding my nose!!!

i hear the training is a LOT less rigorous these days.

Last edited:
HIV, Rabies, Ebola, Marburg, and now of course Wuhan, are all diseases originating in bats.

HIV has nothing to do with bats. HIV came from monkeys. It's a derivative of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus that mutated to be able to infect humans, and humans got infected by butchering monkeys, which caused monkey blood to get into open cuts on their hands.

HIV has nothing to do with bats. HIV came from monkeys. It's a derivative of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus that mutated to be able to infect humans, and humans got infected by butchering monkeys, which caused monkey blood to get into open cuts on their hands.
It's a originally a bat virus the monkeys that eat bats got and it mutated in the monkeys. The virus then jumped from monkeys to humans eating the monkeys.

It's a originally a bat virus the monkeys that eat bats got and it mutated in the monkeys. The virus then jumped from monkeys to humans eating the monkeys.

Gotta cite for that? Preferably to a peer-reviewed journal.

The SIV virus has been around at least 32,000 years. It's found in bats the monkeys eat too. So the presumption is the predators got it from the prey. That's my understanding.

Shhh. He's on a roll. ;)

Bats are just flying rats. Rats and mice and such spread a TON of disease to humans. As do pigs. Ever read the OT. Lots of rules regarding some silly farming and cleaning practices. Ever wonder why such arbitrary rules???? This. This is the reason. (Not sure on shellfish or the whole can't eat a cheeseburger thing. But pigs, cleanliness, etc.,)

There have been instances of natives having relations with monkeys, also.

I even have a thread about apes forcibly having sex with men.

There are lots of ways to get the hiv.

Back
Top Bottom