• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My wife is a attorney and can't answer this question

We have a 14 year old daughter that I've taught rifle shooting to, but I don't want to teach her hand gunnery. I will be needing a professional trainer in the spring to teach her. You guys all know the teenage years are uncomfortable between parents and kids. But I collect 1911s and they are going to her. Any advice welcome

We have a 14 year old daughter that I've taught rifle shooting to, but I don't want to teach her hand gunnery. I will be needing a professional trainer in the spring to teach her. You guys all know the teenage years are uncomfortable between parents and kids. But I collect 1911s and they are going to her. Any advice welcome

i also don't know what you are asking but I'll offer some observations

"professional" trainer just means you pay that person, not that they're necessarily better

if you don't have one, get a 22 revolver or pistol (Ruger MK) for her to use

"they are going to her" does she even want them? You don't have to decide now but recognize that what you like is not necessarily what she likes.

If she's competent and safe with a rifle, good.

Get a .22 that fits HER hand, and go from there.

If you belong to a Club, ask around as to who feels comfortable with teaching a kid, and who is competent to teach. I presume you're talking basic safety and marksmanship.

If you're talking IDPA type stuff, that's another issue.

Have her take an approved course, and apply for her FID. She'll get it for her 15th birthday. She'll also be safe if she's pulled over, and there's random empties in the car (ammo, not booze [laugh])

When she's comfortable and competent, move her up to bigger things.

You're doing the right thing by asking NES members rather than consulting with any attorney. We don't even need the question before posting answers.

Ask at the club or join a club. The club should have people responsible for both training and juniors. Not that is will necessarily help anybody who is not good to begin with but the NRA does offer training for working with juniors. I can tell you that the instructors who work at my club highly recommend the training ad say that it has done a lot for them. Most good clubs will also have a women's training program.

Is it legal to have someone train my daughter with handguns and if so who should I send her to, the best. My club has no one for training

Last edited:
Is it legal to have someone train my daughter with handguns...

Yes...

MGL 140-130 1/2 said:
Notwithstanding section 130 or any general or special law to the contrary, it shall be lawful to furnish a weapon to a minor for hunting, recreation, instruction and participation in shooting sports while under the supervision of a holder of a valid firearm identification card or license to carry appropriate for the weapon in use; provided, however, that the parent or guardian of the minor granted consent for such activities.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section1301~2

So you were cool training her on rifles but not so much on killy handguns?

I never thought of that and just trained my kids on all the guns that would fit in the trunk...

What uncomfortableness? if she doesn't want to go shooting let it go?

I drill gun safety into my kids. My oldest daughter started hand gun training at 5. With a crosman 357 pellet gun with a cheap red dot awesome for can control.
If you want to pay someone to train you might be better off seeing if your daughter wants to shoot on a Jr pistol league.?
As far as getting the pistols when you pass on.... she doesn't need to "know" how to shoot them to enjoy the value of them when you gone.

I agree with the others here about buying a .22 pistol for her to learn with. It's hard to beat a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Simple, reliable and accurate.

I don't understand the hesitation to teach her how to shoot handguns, though. Is she at the age where she has no interest in listening to you? In that case, provided she is actually interested in learning, seeking out another adult who is willing to teach her how to properly shoot a handgun is a good plan.

what so awkward about a 14yr teenager?
i dont understandyour logic, youre willing to hire a stranger to train your daughter in "hand gunnery" and i still dont understand the awkward part.?
I mean wth? its notlike you have to have your arms around her like a date at the batting cages.

I would..

Get a 22 conversion kit for a 1911 if she could get her hand around the grip and teach her

I would file the paperwork while wearing briefs. And be sure to show them the prima facia evidence. Oh and always stand before you tell the judgy wudgy you object.

If you don't want to teach her, contact Cloverleaf Firearms here on the forum. Stu will give her a good foundation.

Beyond that my only question would be why you didn't start teaching her when she started talking?

Don't dis the OP

Different people have different levels of ability/confidence with teaching, especially family.

Smart to recognize that backup may be needed.

OP: See the posts with references to folks that teach, or just have her take a Basic Pistol course, and see where it goes. She'll get the fundamentals, and some experience with handguns.

Find someone that does small classes and or classes for youths or women. She will likely feel more comfortable and get more out of a smaller class. Go with her if she will be more comfortable. I would avoid the high volume classes in this case. No more than 3 students per instructor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Try Claudia aka cbsstewart2, she's an instructor.

Back
Top Bottom