• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My version of the Goose rules - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had a few bad experiences on the classifieds lately (something that never used to happen), and become increasingly frustrated with the way some people conduct themselves when buying and selling guns. So, I took a couple minutes to put my thoughts down on paper, which I plan to include at the bottom of any WTS ads I post. However, I don't want to come across as a jerk or someone who's difficult to work with.

Can you guys give me some feedback? How does this come across?

TD

I am not a firearms dealer engaged in the business of buying and selling guns, I am merely a collector who occasionally sells a firearm from his personal collection.

All local, state and Federal laws are to be strictly followed. For those who are unsure of how to conduct a private transaction, I'm happy to answer questions and walk you through the process. However, any requests to violate the law will immediately end negotiations.

I prefer to conduct the majority of negotiations over PM, email or text. I'm not trying to be elusive, I just prefer a written record of our agreement.

I am happy to answer any and all questions to be best of my ability, however, please do your own research - I'm not a salesman.

All negotiations are to be conducted via PM, email, text or phone call before the transaction. Once we reach a deal and arrange to meet up, negotiations are closed.

You cannot "try it out" to see if you like the gun. I am not a walking show room. If we happen to be at the same range at the same time, I'll probably be willing to let you to try it out, but this is the exception, not the rule.

I cannot stress this one enough: when we reach an agreement (which could be as simple as "I'll take it" and "it's yours") you've entered into a contract to complete the transaction. Unless the item is not as described (I take pains to make sure I fairly describe anything I sell, and I'll allow you all the time and leeway you need to inspect it), you're expected to show up when and where we agree and complete the transaction.

Along those lines, if you make an offer and I accept, we've reached an agreement and you're expected to complete the transaction. You don't get to take the weekend and decide whether or not you want to make good on your own offer.

I reserve the right to sell to whomever I wish. I may or may not take into consideration the order in which potential buyers respond, NES membership status, iTrader feedback status, the speed or convenience of which a buyer can complete the transaction, how much I like the buyer and and the buyer's use of proper spelling and grammar.

Please don't write "call me" with nothing else in your email. I'm not going to call you if I have no indication of your level of interest, or if you want to make an offer, or what your questions might be.

Please don't ask, "Is it still available? with nothing else in your email. That's just a waste of everyone's time.

I reserve the right to ignore ridiculous offers.

A positive iTrader reputation is important to me. I am happy to give positive feedback on every successful transaction, and I would appreciate the same from the opposing party.

Last edited:
Sounds right to me. You don't sound difficult or jerkish at all. It sucks that we have to spell it all out, but, we do!

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but I would probably skip any ad that had that much verbage in it.

Also, I doubt if it would have any effect on the behavior of the kind of buyers you are talking about. They will act the same way, you will point out to them that their behavior was prohibited by your terms & conditions, and the end result will be no different.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but I would probably skip any ad that had that much verbage in it.

Also, I doubt if it would have any effect on the behavior of the kind of buyers you are talking about. They will act the same way, you will point out to them that their behavior was prohibited by your terms & conditions, and the end result will be no different.

I agree that while you covered just about every contingency, it is a bit too much drivel for most people to actually take the time to read. Also, not to bust balls, but you should check your spelling as there are at least a few misspelled words that I noticed while reading through it. If you are going through the trouble to have a well written contract, then it should be WELL WRITTEN and not contain misspellings, or grammatical errors. Just my opinion on the critique, but of course I generally agree with the sentiment.

Probably could be condensed into a short paragraph or maybe a short sentence.

A deals a deal and don't be a douche.

Too verbose.
Maybe Goose Rules with an amendment or two?
~Matt

Reads well, covers a lot of situations, but it's pretty long. Maybe just link to this thread at the bottom of FS posts :)

I'm thinking the people that pull shenanigans are also the ones that will not read that or flat out don't care. People get excited, make an offer, and then find a better deal / come to their senses. You're not going to be able to stop that with some rules of conduct. I'd probably avoid an ad with a weird disclaimer / lecture at the bottom of it.

Let's be real though, a deal isn't a deal until there is cash in hand or ink on paper.

Nicely worded, covers everything, but those who don't want to abide by the rules will just blow it off. Example from a different area of life, top level youth soccer program ten years back, parents paying $1,600 bucks to play for me. During tryouts all parents and kids sat down and heard " we play both fschool vacation weekends", if you can't commit to do that, please don't accept a spot on the team. After the clear explanation, both parents and players signed a paper indicating that they understood the rule and agreed to abide by same. Week before school break, six of the 18 on the team tell me they won't be there next weekend because it is school break.

So yeah, they understood, agreed, and in the end just figured it didn't apply to them....as will those who read, understand and agree to your terms. Sorry to be negative!

Fix your typos.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I would NEVER read all of that.

Is this serious?

So let me guess. Someone was going to buy your $750 XDs, and than realized they could find it elsewhere for $500, and now you're whining about it on NES??

I'm not sure who has the most feedback on NES, or if there is even a way to find out, but that's what I go by. Usually.

I have like 125 positive iTrader. From sales, group buys, etc etc.

All of my transactions have been fine. I won't usually sell to a "registered user" or someone with 5 posts. I don't trust them.

I think when I post stuff for sale I anticipate all of those things you posted. Same goes for craigslist, etc... If you don't expect people to haggle I think you're naive .

Save "goose" for golf, and it's always two. It is hard dealing with children. Men are men, boys are boys. Remember you are starting a list, cross the names off as applicable. Don't know if this helps or not. Hang in there.

Well written, but as others have already stated,given its length, your target audience isn't likely to read it. Condense it and good luck.

While I understand your frustration...the only part I don't agree with is if we make a "deal". But something unexpected happens before the transaction is completed and the buyer or seller has to back out of the deal and offers a good reason then the deal is off. While I don't want to sound like a jerk, I have had a issue similar to that. If its a habit that a certain seller or buyer makes often then I doubt anyone would deal with them but sometimes things happen and a "deal" has to be called off. Just my opinion. I have had only one issue regarding backing out of a semi deal but for the most part all my transaction on NES have been awesome and everyone I have bought and sold too have been great people.

Half way through I was looking for the signatures...
Declaration-of-Independence.jpg

The only part I think is a little iffy is "Please don't ask, "Is it still available? with nothing else in your email. That's just a waste of everyone's time." as more than once in the world of contacting people to rent/buy things, it's been gone but they haven't updated the listing.

...how much I like the buyer and and the buyer's use of proper spelling and grammar.

I'm am not a firearms dealer engaged in the business of buying and selling guns, I am merely a collector who occationally sells a firearm from his perssonal collection.

You better hope these rules don't catch on.

Last edited:
The length is an issue for me and maybe you covered it, but is the item is scratched or chipped and the picture(s) did not capture it great, I might back out. My time is equally important, but I would not neg rep someone if the picture sucked. The only time i neg reped someone was when I said I'll take it, they sent an email saying we have a deal, and they sold it to someone else while I was driving to meet up.

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be less stressful to you in the future if you consigned your guns to a shop. Let them deal with the buying public.

I understand the sentiment and agree we should all buy and sell in good faith. With that being said, I must mention from business law that agreeing to buy does not constitute a verbal contract if the value is over $500. The contract's state of execution would also have to be taken into account, meaning that one party would have had to take significant steps to fulfill their portion of the contract for the other to be considered in breach of it for backing out. This might include driving out to the shop or range to meet, or perhaps turning down other definite offers.

Basically, just deal with the jerks like a man, posting that is likely to hurt your ability to sell more than help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom