My version of the Goose rules - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting in "Goode rules" or anything else like it in your advertisement is for people who can't deal with bullsh*tters in a face to face, cut throat manner.

If I'm sensing too much BS coming from a prospective buyer/seller, I just walk away/ignore them. If they are making legit offers and seem to want to make a sale happen, then let's talk business.

I bought and sold 2 motor vehicles on Craigslist before I turned 20 years old. I've had 50+ year old men think they could back me down on the selling price beyond a reasonable deal. I held to my bottom line through 3 or 4 low balls until he agreed to pay my price. All of this happened face to face, with cash being waved in my face. I'm sure the creator of the "goose rules" would've had a stroke had he been in my shoes. People on NES need to learn how to deal with doushebags.

Post re-read Reflection Edit: I'm not trying to be an internet tough guy. I'm just saying that if people are willing to take part in a face to face transaction of any kind (especially a firearm), then they need to show some back bone or they will be walked all over and end up having to make up sh*t like "goose rules."

Last edited:
2/5 on the rant of crappy buyers. Man, Four Seasons only charges an 18% commission and they generally will capture a premium to what people will pay there. Suck up the $50 or whatever and don't deal with the idiots!

Just last week, I had a guy offer a revolver for trade of one of my pistols. First gun he offered, he renegged since his wife wouldn't let him sell it. Second gun he was trying to stall me and wanted to "shoot it first" because he was sure that I would want to shoot the gun as well. I am mechanically inclined, and 90% of the time can look at a gun in 5 minutes and figure out what is wrong with it and what shape it is in. I don't need to shoot a gun to understand if it works or not. Bubba usually leaves clear signs he has been around. Then I find out the real story, the idiot sent me an email destined to another trader! He was also trying to trade that same gun to someone else and wanted to shoot his gun first! Once this happened I stopped responding.

Goose rules are useless like gun free zones, the people that pay attention to them don't need them in the first place...

Chris

If one needs to write, or read the Magna Carta in order to sell and item, or make a purchase, perhaps one should neither be selling nor buying....

This. Just vet the buyers better, it is not that hard people. Some of it is how the ad is constructed (like if you leave intentional vagueness in your ad) it will be abused. But beyond that, good communication is key. And if you don't get that, or get that vibe from the other party, then walk away. People ignore their gut instincts way too much for this stuff, and that is usually what sets people up for failure.

-Mike

Can you guys give me some feedback? How does this come across?

I have a pretty good attention span and I would have Xed out the tab on your ad even before I got to the third paragraph. If I am not going to make it that far, the people who need to read it will never get that far.

-Mike

I don't know. Seems to me that Mr. Goose got burned bad by some doushe bag and his only course of reaction was to make up a silly list of commonsensical things that NES now abides to like the 10 commandments.

Only people who don't know any better... The Goose Rules, worked for Goose, I've never used them as there is no need...The 'Statement of Legal Requirements' and 'don't be a douchebag' are pretty effective. It also helps to verbally communicate with the seller and/or buyer prior to purchase. Some of us don't require an encyclopedia to make a deal. Frankly, if I need to spell out the weather forecast in a snowstorm, the person is not likely conscious of the sky...so what's the point?

Having used a modification of the "Goose Rules" in the past, I completely understand the author's mindset. He's a stand-up guy who expected others to be the same. Unfortunately, d-bags are everywhere.
I think the NES Moderator's template is sufficient but use your gut feeling weeding out the PITA's.

I don't know. Seems to me that Mr. Goose got burned bad by some doushe bag and his only course of reaction was to make up a silly list of commonsensical things that NES now abides to like the 10 commandments.

He might not have your mad negotiation skills.

ETA:

I know The Goose. He's a solid dude and a successful businessman. He probably conducts more high-level negotiations in a year than most people will in several lifetimes. Why he uses the rules here is his business, but your assertion that he "would've had a stroke" had he been in your shoes selling cars on Craigslist is friggin' laughable.

Last edited:
I've tried the whole "add a bunch of words" thing before WRT where I am located, because the Berkshires are not anywhere near Boston. Invariably, I get people who still PM to ask where I am, despite it being listed in the ad and despite there being this real nifty tool called Google Maps. Even posting a link doesn't help.

Bottom line, people don't read. The big lengthy disclaimer may make you feel better but it won't actually help.

He might not have your mad negotiation skills.

ETA:

I know The Goose. He's a solid dude and a successful businessman. He probably conducts more high-level negotiations in a year than most people will in several lifetimes. Why he uses the rules here is his business, but your assertion that he "would've had a stroke" had he been in your shoes selling cars on Craigslist is friggin' laughable.

It's laughable that you think that statement was supposed to be taken literally.

Well, it seems I started out on this thread sounding like an *sshole, might as well finish that way too lol

PS I'm just some 22 year old wet behind the ears country bumpkin. Don't let me ruffle your feathers. I'm sure Mr. Goose is a good guy who has had more success in free market business than I ever will. I also hope that his cardiovascular system will give him a long and healthy life. I surrender.

Last edited:
The real awesome deals are when somebody negotiates a deal (usually after a lot of back and forth) and THEN they either ask or look up where I am, and back out because of distance. Or when somebody wants me to drive 3 hours AND has the gall to low ball.

Goose rules are useless like gun free zones, the people that pay attention to them don't need them in the first place...
The Goose Rules, worked for Goose, I've never used them as there is no need...The 'Statement of Legal Requirements' and 'don't be a douchebag' are pretty effective. It also helps to verbally communicate with the seller and/or buyer prior to purchase.
True and true. While understanding the background and purpose of the Goose Rules, I personally find them a bit offensive. I've successfully bought and sold somewhat more than my iTrader feedback would suggest. I have never invoked the Goose Rules nor have I answered any ad that invoked the Goose Rules. I have never backed out of an agreed sale although I have had sellers back out on me (presumably choosing to sell to someone else). I simply don't worry about it or let it bother me.

Oh man, clearly I was cranky and beyond tired when I wrote that, and my spell check may or may not have been working. [thinking]

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys. You're right, it's too verbose, I'll tone it down, but I'm going to stick with the concept. Whether or not it's necessary, or whether or not anyone actually reads it, I'll feel more comfortable having it in writing when start ignoring PMs or sending neg rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom