My SKS collection

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've definitely chosen the SKS for my main rifle to collect. There are so many variations and a good number of diferent countries manufactured them. It wasn't untill I got 3 that I decided I wanted them all.

SKS4.jpg

Left to right: Chinese Norinco made for the US market, Chinese military, Albanian, Romanian, Russian, Yugoslavian M59, Yugoslavian M59/66, and on the bottom a Norinco that had a bad stock and no bayonet lug so I decided to play around with it. The muzzle brake is coming off because it doesn't really make a diference when shooting, and someday I'll drill and tap the receiver for the Choate mount and compact scope I have for it.
I could go on with years of manufacture, how they all have the correct slings, etc. but I gotta get all these back in the safe before I get lazy. [grin]

those are nice.

Although, I have to say, I like that bastard one in the front and can't wait to see it when it's scoped.

what can I say... I can never leave well enough alone [wink]

I'd like to get a Russian with light colored laminate stock and bolt still in the white. Also would like to find a Chinese Honor Guard SKS. They're parade rifles all chromed by Norinco but are still functional.
More rare would be a Chinese SKS D or M that takes AK mags, and even more rare than that are Korean and the ever elusive East German SKS rifles.
Often the rarities lay in the beat down looking ones people are selling cheap at gun shows and shops. Bring backs are often found that way.

What one do you like the most? and why

Thats a tough one.[thinking]
The Norinco on the bottom was very accurate for an SKS and is even more with the Choate stock because of the shim Choate includes for a tight fit. That rifle shoots almost as good as my new Springfield M1 Garand. Thats another reason why I'm drilling and tapping it for a scope.
I'd say as far as one that I'll always reach for to take shooting, it'd have to be the Chinese military one (2nd from left). Its really accurate, has what looks to be a new crown put on it, or was very well taken care of because the bore is mint while the rifle itself looks well used. I haven't shot the Albanian one yet and some of the others are becoming safe queens.
I'll have to say this though, out of all the SKS rifles I've ever shot and owned, the most accurate ones are the Norincos.

Has anyone in this country ever even seen an East German SKS?

Only one man is reprted to have one and he is my idol.[smile] Howard Bearse.
http://www.simonov.net/howiecollect.htm
Get this... he lives in Mass on the Cape and has told me I could come by and check out his collection.
Most of you know how dangerous milsurp collecting can get. Only time will tell if I start selling off my Mosins, Mausers, etc. for Chinese SKS' with diferent factory codes, variations in bolts, rear sights, etc.

Last edited:
I love the extended wood over the gas tube on the albanian. I wish they all came like that. [grin]

I've got a bit of catching up to do... I've only got a 59/66. [grin]

Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom