My new Saginaw SG

stoneypete

NES Member
Walked into Zero Hour this afternoon with intent to buy a gun. Since my bride has "commandered" my SP1 I intended to buy a M4gery of sorts if I could find one. Talking with Marco about M1 carbines and he mentioned they had two import marked Saginaw's. The import marks were unobtrusive and it had early features on it and came with one 30 round mag so I brought it home.

The original owner had refinshed the stock wrong and this is how it looked when I first bought it. (I got two USGI 15 rounder from The Powder Keg and used one for the photos.)

00beforeright.jpg

01beforeleft.jpg

Some denatured alcohol 0000 steel wool and about an hours time and she looked like this.

02afterright.jpg

03afterleft.jpg

Flip sight
04serialnumber.jpg

Flat bolt
05flatbolt.jpg

As you can see the import mark is unobtrusive.
06importmark.jpg

I heard about them and was very tempted to check them out but because of bills and vacation coming up, I'm gonna have to sell some stuff before I can add anything to the collection.[sad2]

Nice grab Pete. The stock looks 100 times better without the high gloss finish. Nice talking to you as well. Hopefully your lovely bride won't comandeer the carbine as well.

Strip it down and post the codes found on each of the parts.

Receiver, barrel and hammer all SG marked.

Bolt is IO marked.

Mag catch is U marked.

Recoil Plate is W marked.

trigger assembley is INLAND marked.

Operating slide is marked 6 N or N 9 not really sure what that means.

Receiver, barrel and hammer all SG marked.

Bolt is IO marked.

Mag catch is U marked.

Recoil Plate is W marked.

trigger assembley is INLAND marked.

Operating slide is marked 6 N or N 9 not really sure what that means.

Yep, bit of a mixer there. Is the barrel dated?

Bolt is an Inland, mag catch is an Underwood, the recoil plate is a winchester, the slide is a national postal meter most likely.

Yep, bit of a mixer there. Is the barrel dated?
I've read that Saginaw did not date their barrels and they did not make their receivers in order by serial number and that is why getting a born on date for Saginaw's is more educated guess than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom