• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new rifle needs a trigger job.

cad

Guys,

I just picked up a new Stevens 200 for my antelope hunt coming up in October. The gun was a steal and I really like everything about it, except the trigger. To keep manufacturing costs down, Savage doesn't include the accu-trigger in their Stevens rifles. Does anyone know a good gunsmith in the central MA area that can reduce the pull of the trigger, and make it break crisper? Any help appreciated, as always.

Timney makes drop-ins for the Savage line; there may be a couple of other manufacturers out there as well.

If it fits a Savage, I'll bet it fits a Stevens.

Timney makes drop-ins for the Savage line; there may be a couple of other manufacturers out there as well.

If it fits a Savage, I'll bet it fits a Stevens.

I agree on the Timney. The cheapest of the after-market triggers and has worked very well in my bolt .308 for years.

While I appreciate the recommendation for the timney trigger, I'm really trying to keep the stock trigger.

I'm not familiar with the Steven's but I doubt there is much room for improvement to the stock trigger. You'd pay more to a gunsmith trying to help it than a new Timney drop in that you can adjust to whatever you want.

I'm not familiar with the Steven's but I doubt there is much room for improvement to the stock trigger. You'd pay more to a gunsmith trying to help it than a new Timney drop in that you can adjust to whatever you want.

That's what I was afraid of. If I can't get a decent trigger job done cheaper than a timney, I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the help.

Not to sidetrack (ok, to sidetrack), can you tell us about the hunt?
Where are you going? What caliber are you shooting?

F

I'm going to Wyoming, on a public land DIY hunt. My gf has family out there and they're going to be helping me out. Wyoming has the whole state broken into area's to which you apply for a tag through a lottery. Some area's have better odds than others, dependent on goat population, public access, etc.
If I don't get drawn for the area's I put in for (Riverton area), there are other area's that have 100% chance of getting drawn and have OTC tags. So my backup area which I'm gauranteed a tag is in the Cheyenne area.
I'll be bringing my Stevens 200 chambered in 7mm-08 and my Savage Model 16 chambered in 300 wsm.
I have a 2 month sabbatical from work during this time, so I also have a couple other whitetail hunts planned. A bowhunt in OH, rifle hunt in PA, and a Sika hunt in VA. This in addition to my usual rifle/shotgun/bow hunting in MA and NY. It's going to be a relaxing, yet busy few months. I can't wait![smile]

That's what I was afraid of. If I can't get a decent trigger job done cheaper than a timney, I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the help.

Why are you so dead set on keeping the stock trigger even if you don't like it? [thinking]

An improvement is an improvement, any way you can get it. BTW, I recommend Rifle Basix over Timney. About the same cost (< $100) and much nicer.

Why are you so dead set on keeping the stock trigger even if you don't like it? [thinking]

An improvement is an improvement, any way you can get it. BTW, I recommend Rifle Basix over Timney. About the same cost (< $100) and much nicer.

I just don't want to put much money into this rifle. If I add a $100 trigger, I'd be at the point where I could of bought a similar savage with an accu-trigger.

Back
Top Bottom