• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new gun Tarus 606 snub nose revolver

Dave6

Banned
I just bought a used Tarus 606. I have not had a chance to fire it yet. I bought it because I really wanted a revolver and it was on sale and the price was right.
I am getting mixed reviews. Some people say that tarus is horrible and that you should never touch them some people are saying that the tarus 606 is on par with smith and wesson snub nosed models.
Any experience with this gun or input? -
26452_01__357_taurus_model_606_640.jpg

Not on par with smith, it works.

Getting that in before those who have to hate because.....internet.

understood. I plan to invest in a classic style smith 38 revolver but many people feel that the 606 i a good snub nose over all. It seems the one I bough is in good working order and I hope to test it out this sunday or next week. I just want something that works and is reliable. I have a little time left to return it if I am not happy with it but i got it for a good price and I heard decent reviews but I am worried about the horrible hate reviews out there.

Get the Smith. Then get "quality carry ammo". Your life may depend on it. This is not the place to pinch pennies. Smith snubbies are not that expensive.

Get the Smith. Then get "quality carry ammo". Your life may depend on it. This is not the place to pinch pennies. Smith snubbies are not that expensive.

What will go wrong with the 606?

But...but...I read on the Interweb that Taurus is junk and only Glock makes dishwasher safe guns.

There are some who loathe Taurus. Truth of the matter at one time S&W feared them as a major revolver competitor and totally missed the boat when Glock bypassed them in the LE market. While it's true that both S&W and Taurus were once owned by Bangor Punta, just how much technology transfer went on is open to debate, apparently some but that's now lost to the mists of urban legend.

This is what I do know: in the 1980's when wheel guns still ruled the earth, at least in America, Taurus made some really nice revolvers whose fit, finish and actions were quite comparable to K and L frame Smiths. They made some nice snubbies too, which were attractively priced. I shot and handled these guns and I was a die hard S&W guy then and am a S&W stockholder today. The stuff Taurus made before that was crude and crappy. I haven't seen much of their products in recent years because dealers can't sell them here in the PRM.

I've heard that their customer service is not very good and I cannot vouch for their quality today. I know that they represented good value for the money. My experience with them was favorable, but I just shot and handled, never owned. I've seen, owned and shot crappy Smiths too, never shot or owned a crappy Ruger although I've always felt that the action was heavier. My experience with Colts have been limited to Pythons and Det Specials and Taurus is not even in the same room. Objectively I'd put them above Charter Arms most definitely in the snub nose department.

YMMV...bottom line if you got it at the right price, you can shoot it accurately and it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, it seems to me that you made out just fine. I wouldn't come on NES for affirmation or approval, mine or anybody's else's. We haven't shot your individual gun to make a definitive judgement.

Last edited:
i picked up a used four taurus 669 to keep near my chicken coup in case a bear or mountain lion surprises me, which is very unlikely. nice design, fit and finish is probably like it was put together on a friday afternoon after a liquid lunch. it goes bang and it was nice when i had to grab it because of a loose dog in my yard. not to worry, the dog was not shot as the owner was a contractor next door who quickly locked him in his truck. for $275, i think i did alright.

There are some who loathe Taurus. Truth of the matter at one time S&W feared them as a major revolver competitor and totally missed the boat when Glock bypassed them in the LE market. While it's true that both S&W and Taurus were once owned by Bangor Punta, just how much technology transfer went on is open to debate, apparently some but that's now lost to the mists of urban legend.

This is what I do know: in the 1980's when wheel guns still ruled the earth, at least in America, Taurus made some really nice revolvers whose fit, finish and actions were quite comparable to K and L frame Smiths. They made some nice snubbies too, which were attractively priced. I shot and handled these guns and I was a die hard S&W guy then and am a S&W stockholder today. The stuff Taurus made before that was crude and crappy. I haven't seen much of their products in recent years because dealers can't sell them here in the PRM.

I've heard that there customer service is not very good and I cannot vouch for their quality today. I know that they represented good value for the money. My experience with them was favorable, but I just shot and handled, never owned. I've seen, owned and shot crappy Smiths too, never shot or owned a crappy Ruger although I've always felt that the action was heavier. My experience with Colts have been limited to Pythons and Det Specials and Taurus is not even in the same room. Objectively I'd put them above Charter Arms most definitely in the snub nose department.

YMMV...bottom line if you got it at the right price, you can shoot it accurately and it goes bang every time you pull the trigger, it seems to me that you made out just fine. I wouldn't come on NES for affirmation or approval, mine or anybody's else's. We haven't shot your individual gun to make a definitive judgement.

Not trying to derail the thread, but you did mention the Colt Detective Special, my first CCW that I will never sell. Great 6-shot snubbie. I have the later model with the ejector-rod shroud that I read can handle +P ammo.but never tried them. I was always hoping that Colt would make a 5-shot .357 model.

FWIW, I used to have an 85, the first generation that had the hammer lock, that was completely reliable and maintained Minute of Perp accuracy over 3 years of firing only Cor-Bon +P defense loads through it.

Not trying to derail the thread, but you did mention the Colt Detective Special, my first CCW that I will never sell. Great 6-shot snubbie. I have the later model with the ejector-rod shroud that I read can handle +P ammo.but never tried them. I was always hoping that Colt would make a 5-shot .357 model.

In 1999 Colt came out with the Magnum Carry on the new SF Frame which was only slightly larger than the D Frame of the Detective Special. This was a stainless six shot revolver in .357 Magnum which resembled the Detective Special. I saw and handled these guns (never fired one much to my chagrin), very nice and smooth actions. Unfortunately they were only in production for about a year when Colt made the decision to discontinue production of all double action revolvers except the Python which remained in production as a Custom Shop item for a few years after that (with some frames being made by S&W, no shit !). If you ever find one good luck, and be prepared to pay big $$$$$.

Attachments

• ZAX2500A-G-F1B-H.jpg
    ZAX2500A-G-F1B-H.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
mark 056 is correct . If you like Taurus, own Taurus. I had nothing but bad luck with Taurus. The last one I had was a 709 slim, before there were as many choices for smaller carry guns. On a good day it would be fine. Kind of. Taurus said there was nothing wrong with the 709. By their standards, I believe they were right. By my standards, if it's not 100% reliable, I'm dumping and dissing it.

If you've already bought and paid for it, why ask the forum AFTER buying it?.. Isn't that kinda like ordering the Chicken Marsala then asking the waitress "By the way, is this a popular choice?" when she returns from the kitchen and puts it in front of you....
I'm not slamming you, just saying if it were me and I'd already bought it, I'd go and shoot it, a lot, then if I realized it's not a great gun, sell it...
In the future, remember if you're at a store and there's a sale on an impulse buy, you can go to your Tapatalk (the best forum reader, even though very flawed,... I'd download if you haven't yet) App, go to the Northeastshooters link and ask away here at NES and, in my experience, when you post anything here you'll have advice flowing in virtually immediately...
I was at a store buying a vacuum cleaner and knew nothing about them, other than that my Sicilian wife texted me an angry "request". ("The f*ckin vacuum broke again! Go get me a new one!!!) and since I was clueless about them I asked on NES... And literally 15 minutes later drove home with a new awesome affordable vacuum... (probably would've gotten lucky that night too if I hadn't fallen asleep watching the Bruins.. )

I always ask NES now about almost everything. ESPECIALLY about gun related stuff, before making a move..

Last edited:
Because Taurus warranties all their guns, they will not sell certain internal mechanical parts. So if there is any issues with the bun, and I'm not saying there will be, you would have to ship it to them on your dime for repair. I have never owned a Taurus revolver, but I have 2 semi auto's, which are not bad. I have to agree with the others, they are not on the S&W level. If its a price you can afford, you should get it. Just verify the timing and the lock up, if they're wrong Id get something else. Both Ruger and Smith have snub noses that are affordable.

If it works, it works. Ignore the Internet, ignore the tactitools who say Glock or go home- ccw is about what you feel gets the job done. If that's a Taurus, it's a Taurus. If it's s Glock, 1911 or a Raven, so be it.

I've got two great smiths. They both have firing pins on the hammer. Anything newer, three times, it was junk. I'll never buy another smith. My tauri, two, have been great. No problems, ever.

Like Abe Lincoln said, don't trust everything on the internet. That really applies to Taurus, in my opinion anyway.

I've got two great smiths. They both have firing pins on the hammer. Anything newer, three times, it was junk. I'll never buy another smith. My tauri, two, have been great. No problems, ever.

Like Abe Lincoln said, don't trust everything on the internet. That really applies to Taurus, in my opinion anyway.

What did Abe Lincoln say about guys that said he made comments regarding the internet.

Back
Top Bottom