My New Collection of Parts Called An AR15 Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
.223 fires completely fine through a rifle chambered in 556.
Its the other way around that you would be worried about firing 556 through a rifle chambered for .223.

Thank goodness your smith was there to save the day though. ;)
He will probably test fire your rifle with it when he goes to test it out haha ...sorry its just funny to me.

What he was saying is that the .223 ammunition did not have enough "oomph" to cycle the bolt. He is NOT going to be test firing the rifle.

One of the things that annoys me about factory ammo is that it is about impossible to tell what kind of pressures it really develops, etc. So who really knows. It just seems a little strange to me.

I was already aware that firing 5.56 thru a .223 was a very bad idea.

What he was saying is that the .223 ammunition did not have enough "oomph" to cycle the bolt. He is NOT going to be test firing the rifle.

I would stop talking to that guy about guns before he either gets you hurt or he makes you waste money that you don't need to spend.

.223 is not going to cause cycle issues for your AR.

One of the things that annoys me about factory ammo is that it is about impossible to tell what kind of pressures it really develops, etc. So who really knows. It just seems a little strange to me.

I was already aware that firing 5.56 thru a .223 was a very bad idea.

.223 should be enough. If it isn't, then something isn't right. I've put thousands of rounds of .223 (and a fair amount of 5.56) through my AR and haven't had any issues. If you continue having problems when firing .223 ammo, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

I would stop talking to that guy about guns before he either gets you hurt or he makes you waste money that you don't need to spend.

He is not going to get me hurt or make me waste any money. He did not go into any kind of "sales pitch" when we talked about the situation. Possibly adjusting the gas piston, which he showed me how to do. (remember, I am NOT an AR15 expert) I am one of those REALLY smart guys, I actually know, what I do not know and am not afraid to admit it.

I am going to the range in a short while to fire the 5.56, if I run through a box of that with no cycle failures and then run .223 with failures, I will know that .223 does cause issues. But that may only mean that the piston needs a bit of adjustment. I will try an adjustment if the 5.56 works and the .223 fails.

.223 should be enough. If it isn't, then something isn't right. I've put thousands of rounds of .223 (and a fair amount of 5.56) through my AR and haven't had any issues. If you continue having problems when firing .223 ammo, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

This 100% Any 5.56 should have no issues at all firing .223, so it has to be something with the rifle itself that is causing your issues.

Good advice, I will definitely try that. However, it will grind my 'nads a bit to load 8 rounds, given the 10 round limit in this state. I remember only loading 18 in the M16, but that was cause the springs would not reliably feed?

Thanks for the advice!

Pick up a couple of pre-bans. If you look around on the classifieds here or the ARFcom equipment exchange you can find some for decent prices.

More info on the "trigger reset" issue after hashing it over with the smith at the store.

The rifle is set up for 5.56mm. ahah. Now, I have never claimed to be an expert on AR15's by a long shot. So, yesterday, when I was purchasing this rifle, I asked the $25 question: "Will this also run .223 ammo without a problem?". Answer: "Absolutely." Then, when I purchased ammo, I asked for 5.56, but they did not have any, so I wound up with .223. Need I go into this any further? Here comes the good news, they replaced the ammo I fired with a free box of 5.56. Did not even ask them to do that.

It may also need a bit of adjustment of the gas piston.

This has WHAT?? to do with trigger reset?

Bitch, bitch bitch. Do what you want with the damn thing. Don't bother taking anyone's advice. Why the hell did you even ask for opinions?

If you care to read this post, you will see that I did not ask for any advice. Simple as that. Nowhere do I say, "What do you guys think I should do" or anything of the sort. I was just letting readers know what was going on with a rifle I had purchased. I don't know where you get off with your attitude, having a bad day Ms. CRSIII?

That said, I also saw some very good advice concerning a few issues and stated that I would be following those pieces of advice and thanked people for offering them, evidently you did not read that either.

- - - Updated - - -

This has WHAT?? to do with trigger reset?

The theory was that the .223 ammo was not fully cycling the bolt, thereby causing the trigger to not reset.

I basically did this for a mod to the stock trigger: http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Still has a good amount of travel but it's very smooth now and a good bit lighter. No problems with reset or light strikes in over 500rds. Way better in my opinion. YMMV.

Did a fast read of that. Before I try that, will have to get more familiar with the parts. Thanks for the information, I have bookmarked the site.

- - - Updated - - -

I basically did this for a mod to the stock trigger: http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Still has a good amount of travel but it's very smooth now and a good bit lighter. No problems with reset or light strikes in over 500rds. Way better in my opinion. YMMV.

Did a fast read of that. Before I try that, will have to get more familiar with the parts. Thanks for the information, I have bookmarked the site.

If you care to read this post, you will see that I did not ask for any advice. Simple as that. Nowhere do I say, "What do you guys think I should do" or anything of the sort. I was just letting readers know what was going on with a rifle I had purchased. I don't know where you get off with your attitude, having a bad day Ms. CRSIII?

That said, I also saw some very good advice concerning a few issues and stated that I would be following those pieces of advice and thanked people for offering them, evidently you did not read that either.

- - - Updated - - -

The theory was that the .223 ammo was not fully cycling the bolt, thereby causing the trigger to not reset.

If it cycles and goes into battery, the trigger should have already reset.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Latest update.

Gave the rifle a second cleaning (first was right after I purchased it). Took it to the range.

As I mentioned in OP, the trigger would not reset about every 6-8 rounds. It was about the same when I started shooting. After 2 10 round mags, it did not fail for the next 3 mags. After that, I fired ten mags before a fail. Fired ten more mags with no fail. Ran out of ammo at that point.

I can only surmise that it needed to be "broken in" at this point. Since this rifle is not going to be used for "combat", I will go ahead and continue shooting it to see how things continue to run.

I have not had this sort of occurrence in other semi-autos that I own, so it is new territory for me.

Want to thank everyone who offered advice.

If it cycles and goes into battery, the trigger should have already reset.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Since I am not familiar with the inner working of AR's, is it possible that the bolt did not fully cycle, failing to reset the trigger, yet chamber a round?

to be honest with you, it's not a good one.

I do not know enough about the inner workings of an AR to argue with anyone about this. Like I said, I am smart enough to know what I do not know.

Not sure I mentioned this in OP, when it would fail to rest, selecting safe, then fire, would cause the trigger to reset. It was audible and I could feel it via the safety selector.

Well, it appears that it is functioning fairly well now.

I am VERY happy with the accuracy of the rifle. I typically shoot peeps or aperture sights, not much into scopes or red dots. I use a scope on the long distance stuff, like 300 yards. I have a Bushnell red dot that I use once in awhile for fun.

At first I was not comfortable with the shouldering of the rifle, it seemed a bit "close" or "short". I got off the benchrest and did some standing shots and was happy with the results. I will need to find a riser block of some kind if I want to try the red dot on the rifle, it sits way too low as it is now.

The advice on making sure the bolt was back when loading a mag was a real help, btw. I was not used to that, so that was a simple fix. For some odd reason, I was closing the bolt when it was empty, before loading a mag.

Hey, congrats on being the 1st person I've ever seen CRSIII unhappy with in 4+ of posting here.

I was just talking about a gun I bought, discussing some issues with it, never asked anyone for their opinions, was being polite with everyone, then he posts this:

Bitch, bitch bitch. Do what you want with the damn thing. Don't bother taking anyone's advice. Why the hell did you even ask for opinions?

I just calls em likes I sees em. He wants to call me a Fudd, fine....when he dishes it out, he can eat it too.

I was just talking about a gun I bought, discussing some issues with it, never asked anyone for their opinions, was being polite with everyone, then he posts this:

I just calls em likes I sees em. He wants to call me a Fudd, fine....when he dishes it out, he can eat it too.

You know whats going on. You keep telling us you're a smart guy. From what I've seen, you've trolled this place big time and made a bunch of people not like you in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom