My first 7.62x39 reloads

Just loaded them up last night. They're 150 grain .308 FMJBT's over IMR 4198, in .5 grain steps starting at 20.3 grains and going to 22.3 grains. Now I just have to wait for the nice weather to come back to bring the SKS (with new TechSights) to No. Leominster. I'll try to post a range report.

762x39.jpg

Nice!

It's amazing what it's come to... Ammo prices are so high, you're reloading 7.62x39 and I'm reloading 9mm.

I was thinking of your 9mm's yeasterday![smile]

Actually, I'm starting to amass quite a bit of 9mm here too. The only thing I have in that caliber though is my CZ52 with the conversion barrel.

I'm not looking for MOA with the SKS. I just have several hundred .308 bullets that I have no other use for. The hardest thing I do with my SKS is shoot human head-sized balloons at 200 yards prone, and if I take 2 shots to hit one with Wolf, it's a REALLY good session. I Googled on the subject and found most people had good luck with .308's in a .311 bore -- only one person I found characterized the groups as "shotgun-like". I figure with handloaded .308's, at worst I'll be as good as Wolf, but I won't find out until I fire 'em. If I duplicate "cheap" factory stuff, I'm ahead of the game.

Well, I had a chance to try out my reloads last weekend and today. I was pleasantly surprised how well the .308 billets worked in the SKS bore. I was even more surprised, despite seeing the phenomenon many times, of how dramatic a very small change in charge can have on group size.

My original loads were .5 grain steps starting at 20.3 grains and going to 22.3 grains. I shot these on Sunday and found the 21.3 loads to be the best, so I loaded some more at 21.0, 21.3, and 21.5 grains and shot them at No. Leominster today at the 100 yard range.

I started with a box of Brown Bear crap steel case stuff to compare, which I shot during my lunch hour at Harvard today. One note -- for the 124 grain stuff, which I originally used to sight in the Techsights, I had to use the 0-2 aperture. When shooting the 150 grain .308's, I had to use the 300 meter aperture, or the hits were off the paper with a 6 o clock hold. Using the 300m though made them slightly high:

11 rounds of Brown Bear:

brown%20bear.jpg

the 21 grain loads:

21%20grains.jpg

The "accuracy" load -- 21.3 grains. It doesn't show too well, but there's a 3 round group just above the 10 ring on the left. This was 10 rounds, not sure where number 10 went.

21dot3grains.jpg

And then, this is what blows me away, up just 2 tenths of a grain, and the group goes to hell. 21.5 grains:

21dot5grains.jpg

Last edited:
The next step is to load up a bunch with just the measure set to 21.3 grains. All of these were worked up with a trickler. So, with the variation of the drop, it'll be interesting what it does to the groups. Still, not too terribly bad a result for an undersized bullet. I'm having a devil of a time finding them, but I'd like to find some proper sized 120-something grain bullets to load and see just how accurate a $130 SKS can be.

Back
Top Bottom