• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my first 308 loads

wiskie762

Instructor
here they are...

143 grain fmj over 42grns of varget.

3081.jpg

made 20, 2 were out of spec.

Last edited:
Sounds very similar to my .308 Winchester loading, only I've been using 147gn FMJ-BT bullets over 42gn of Varget. Has worked out very nicely. Had to tick my scope up 4 clicks at 100 yards over the mil-surp stuff I was shooting. Nice to know I'm getting a little more velocity.

Out of spec how?

Good luck with em.

they would not chamber in my gun (could not Close the bolt). This has happened before. so I will pull them and start over.

Where did you get the Varget? It seems to all be gone. I am using BLC2 because I couldn't find any Varget.

I bought mine pre-obama

This is usually caused when you don't adjust the full length sizing dies properly.
The proper method is to raise the ram with a shell holder installed (or raise the shell plate if a progressive or turret press. Then, screw the sizing die down until it touches the top of the shell holder/shell plate. That will give a true full length sizing to the outside of the casing. Some people run the sizing die down, and then back it off some turns. Not sure why they do that.

Three other things could cause an issue with chambering, presuming that you have properly full sized the case.

The first is if you try to roll crimp the bullet in place. That can cause some slight case collapse, which increases the diameter of the case, especially in the neck area. Most jacketed rifle bullets do not need to get crimped into place. If the neck is properly sized, the bullet will seat tight, all by itself. Most of us plinkers don't need to crimp jacketed rifle bullets.

The second is case length, although that's a rare issue. If the case is too long, the end of the neck can jam up against the front of the chamber. The risk here is case separation if the neck jamming is severe. The brass will get lodged, and when you try to extract, it will rip the end of the brass off. So, be sure to check for overall case length with a caliper, and trim if required.

The third thing is bullet seating depth that could result in the overll length being just a tad too long. If you're right on the edge of being too long, back off the length. (Seat the bullet deeper) Of course, you can confirm any of these possibilities with the use of a caliper.

If you find inconsistancies in any of your reloads (overall lengths changing ever so slightly, or full length sizing not consistant), then I would suggest that you are not doing a "hard stop" type motion with the ram while processing your press. I always recommend moving the lever arm swiftly, and firmly enough so that the press, at the END of the stroke, is a hard and firm (almost metal to metal) stop. The press is made to take it. And, it assures that you don't just stop pressing when you "think" it's there. Using the hard stop method will assure that every casing gets processed the same way, with no variations, mechanically.

they would not chamber in my gun (could not Close the bolt). This has happened before. so I will pull them and start over.

Snapshot, that's only one explanation for what could be going on. See above.

Why pull them? Is there any reason why you don't just seat them lower?

Last edited:
Shot Today. Had a good group but my scope was not zeroed. didnt take the time to zero it cause I'm going to replace it soon. All rounds shot with no problems.

Had fun yesterday with you. I was still shaking from the savage :)

I am new to reloading 308, but not new to reloading. I've been reloading 223 with 75 gr HPBT for long range shooting with reasonable success. My first try at 308 was surprising. 175 gr Sierra HPBT in LC brass using CFE 223. The posted loads at Shooters Reference said: start 45.5 gr (2,612 fps and pressure at 49,600) and max 47.5 (2752 fps and pressure at 60,400). I loaded up some at 46.5 gr, right in the middle at the posted OAL of 2.80" to try out. I fired 5 rounds of Norma factory 175s and they fired well and extracted very smoothly. I tried my reloads and was getting stuck cases in my bolt rifle. The last stuck case I didn't get out until I got home. I didn't like using a plastic cushioned hammer on my bolt handle but couldn't think of any other way to clear it.

Any thoughts or advice on my experience?

I am new to reloading 308, but not new to reloading. I've been reloading 223 with 75 gr HPBT for long range shooting with reasonable success. My first try at 308 was surprising. 175 gr Sierra HPBT in LC brass using CFE 223. The posted loads at Shooters Reference said: start 45.5 gr (2,612 fps and pressure at 49,600) and max 47.5 (2752 fps and pressure at 60,400). I loaded up some at 46.5 gr, right in the middle at the posted OAL of 2.80" to try out. I fired 5 rounds of Norma factory 175s and they fired well and extracted very smoothly. I tried my reloads and was getting stuck cases in my bolt rifle. The last stuck case I didn't get out until I got home. I didn't like using a plastic cushioned hammer on my bolt handle but couldn't think of any other way to clear it.

Are the case only sticking after shooting?
Do the reloads feed and estract freely with out shooting them
-any chance your reloads bullet is cramming the lands ?
Something going on there for sure

I bought mine pre-obama
I had a similar problem with Lee .308Win dies for the M14 - the bolt wouldn't close, wouldn't pass the Hornady gage, even when sent back to Lee for "adjustment." Got RCBS Small Base Die & it works perfect. Seems like 308 is "differenter" than any other 30 cals - a lot stiffer to resize, i.e., force & lube variation & between commercial & 7.62 mil ...

2.80" COAL should be OK for Sierra 175 HPBT's, so that's not your issue.

Do your unfired reloads load and extract AOK? If no- then you are not adequately sizing the cases. Most likely if that's the cause, you (or someone else if range pick up) previously fired the cases in a rifle with a 'looser' chamber than the rifle in question.

If your unfired reloads easily load and extract, then sizing is not your problem and your loads are generating too much pressure. Honestly, I thought CFE223 burns too fast for 308 but it is not the fasted 308 recommended powder. Yet somehow its loads generate higher pressures. Also you have to convert typical 308 powder data from CUP to PSI, but after converting units the max pressure for CFE223 is nearly 4,000 psi higher than powders like Varget or H4995. For my match bolt guns, I typically neck size only after the cases have been fired once in the rifle. If the cases eventually become tight, I'll full length size then neck size again for the subsequent reloads. That is rare- usually I can neck size after the first firing in a particular rifle. Of course those cases remain dedicated to that specific rifle.

If sizing is the problem, can you figure out where on the case is jamming? The base? If yes- have you screwed in the sizing die until it makes the reloader handle 'cam over' to get it to bottom out?

Last edited:
Lot to think about. But here's answers to some of your questions.

I bought the LC brass fully processed: sized and deprimed. I dropped several of the unloaded brass into the chamber and they dropped in easily and came out without any assistance. The loaded rounds chambered fine and without firing them would extract and eject smoothly. I was left to think they were too hot but I thought right in the middle of the low-high loads would work fine.

These were the first shots out of my rifle which is a nice custom build I purchased second hand: Kelbly Stolle Atlas action, MPA 24" barrel 1:10 twist. It shoots nice.
I'm going to back off the powder charge toward the low end and give those a try.

Back
Top Bottom