My BPS Experience

I thought I'd share this, and I'd be curious for your comments/thoughts.

Yesterday I went into the BPS in Foxboro. I've been itching to do a 10/22 build, and I picked up the first (and arguably most necessary) part of the build. I managed to find a 10/22 'target' model, which seemed like a good starting point.

<Tangent>
I wanted to start here because it would let me upgrade it bit by bit - it comes with a factory bull barrel, so I wouldn't have to replace the stock and barrel at the same time - I can get decent performance and start on the slow side and get to know the rifle a bit, first.
</Tangent>

I would give the whole process, start to finish, an A-. It took some time to get someone's attention, and they seemed put off that all I was interested in a 10/22 at first - it was tough to have some questions answered. Finally, they handed the sale off to Steve, who did a great job walking me through my first purchase. When I got home, I discovered that I was missing a rail mount screw, and they offered to replace it free when I came in for a no-charge scope mount and boresighting.

The Funny thing was, the next day, I got a call at 10:00 a.m. from a very polite and apologetic guy at BPS looking for some "more information" that was "periodically and randomly requested by the ATF", wherein he asked for a read-back of the S/N of the rifle and a recently generated "control number" on the packaging. He assured me everything was fine, and the call concluded.

So, that's my experience. Has this happened to anyone else? I'd be curious to know.

Makes as much sense as anything. Now that I think of it, I don't recall them ever verifying the S/N off the rifle itself, just the box.

Makes as much sense as anything. Now that I think of it, I don't recall them ever verifying the S/N off the rifle itself, just the box.

Sometimes a rifle is also matched up with the wrong box, particularly if the gun has been on display or the customer has been looking at a gun in multiple calibers and the guns get put back in the wrong boxes.

I'll bet it's either blank fields on the form, or filling out the form from the box rather than the gun, and then catching the mistake.

I know building a "custom" is nice, particularly a 10/22 that has alot of ammo @ great prices for comparison thinking how your rifle might like certain types of .22 vs others. I'd stick with your tricked out 10/22 for a while before customizing it at all. "Good enough" is something to think about. Particularly if its shooting well!!!Good Luck!

I know building a "custom" is nice, particularly a 10/22 that has alot of ammo @ great prices for comparison thinking how your rifle might like certain types of .22 vs others. I'd stick with your tricked out 10/22 for a while before customizing it at all. "Good enough" is something to think about. Particularly if its shooting well!!!Good Luck!

I agree.

I bought a new 10/22T and it shoots just fine. Right now, I'm not motivated at all to make any changes.

Back
Top Bottom