My Bird Went South!

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I just finished a two-way radio installation on a 2010 Ford F-350.
(I love drilling holes in brand spanking new vehicles ;) )
Took me an hour longer than usual because my wattmeter crapped out.
I was programming and bench testing the radio but it was showing only milliwatts of output.
I was freaking out because I promised the guy I'd have it done today, then I thought the PA deck in the radio was NFG and I don't have another UHF Trunking radio in stock to give him.
Just for shits and giggles, I hooked up a VHF radio which I know for sure works and the wattmeter still showed no output.
I tried again with a 6 meter radio and again it showed nothing, so I determined that the wattmeter must be toast.
I rechecked the UHF unit the Mickey Mouse way by measuring field strength with a freq counter and it looked fine, so I did the install and it all seems to be OK.
That's the first time I've even heard of a Bird 43 going bad.

[grenade]

You might want to try a different slug. IIRC there isn't much inside of the meter to go bad, only the directional coupler and the meter movement. Most of the goodies are in the slug. The only other thing I can think of is that the slug connector is somehow buggered up.

You might want to try a different slug. IIRC there isn't much inside of the meter to go bad, only the directional coupler and the meter movement. Most of the goodies are in the slug. The only other thing I can think of is that the slug connector is somehow buggered up.

I tried all of the four slugs I own and several radios on different bands.

I took it apart today, there really is very little to it, took a peek inside, didn't find anything loose, then put the cover back on.
Lo and behold, it started working again!

Headscratch.gif

I'm glad it's back in service because I have to install a radio in a semi-tractor this weekend.

Last edited:
Sometimes they get lonely and just want some attention. The other thing I've learned is that my circuits work better when the cover is off and a hot sodering iron is next to it. It's an emotional thing with them.

Back
Top Bottom