My AR15 Project: Pics as they come

Had the flash hider pinned today, and stupid me, didn't realize it wasn't a mass compliant flash hider until after it was pinned in place... So, it needs to be removed and a proper one installed. Unfortunately, this also marked the last of my budget (in fact I am over budget by a bit more than I wanted to be), so I guess it's just going to have to wait. Really kicking myself in the ass right now. If anyone wants to buy a removed extended length (for 14.5 inch barrel) A2 hider let me know. FML. Massachusetts frickin blows.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, well magpul says it can be used either way. I just through everything together to take pictures than broke it back down, nothing was actually mounted.

Mike

Had the flash hider pinned today, and stupid me, didn't realize it wasn't a mass compliant flash hider until after it was pinned in place... So, it needs to be removed and a proper one installed. Unfortunately, this also marked the last of my budget (in fact I am over budget by a bit more than I wanted to be), so I guess it's just going to have to wait. Really kicking myself in the ass right now. If anyone wants to buy a removed extended length (for 14.5 inch barrel) A2 hider let me know. FML. Massachusetts frickin blows.

Mike

Didn't the folks at REMSPORT caution you about the flash hider, or did they not know?

John didn't realize until right after he got it on. He's cutting me a break with getting it swapped over hopefully tomorrow (managed to pull some money out of my, well the federal governments ass, fortunately). He has some comps in stock at a good price, so hopefully should just swap right over and be done with it. At this point I could have just gone with an FSC556 in the first place, live and learn I guess. As long as whatever I get doesn't throw a fireball in my face I'll be happy. If I'd known what he had in stock in the first place I probably would have picked up a few parts from them that I got online, as they have some beautifully finished parts there. So if you guys are thinking of having them do any work for you, consider their inventory along with your build.

Mike

Picked up the barrel with the brake on instead of the flash hider. I want to say again John really helped me out and they have a great operation there. In any future builds (more specifically my girlfriend wants to build one at some point, probably not for a little while) I will definitely look into building a Remsport gun. They really have some amazing prices and great pieces of equipment there and I would urge many of you to take a look at it if you are putting together an AR.

I'll have some pics up whenever I get this thing all put together.

Mike

Got the upper put together today. I through it on a friends (and fellow members) lower and we took some pics. IMO, It is beautiful. The only difference is I have an ACE stock ready and waiting for a lower for me to put it on. Hopefully going to put some rounds down range sometime soon, though I currently rely on access to others lowers.

033.jpg

Mike

Only update thus far is I now have an Ergo pistol grip to go on the lower. A family friend has a lower they aren't using so I plan on putting the stock and grip on that to use with them until either my father bothers to get his LTC or I get mine, and hopefully I can buy it off them.

Mike

Update: Put my grip and buttstock on my friends lower and took some pictures of the whole setup. Only reason I actually set it up on his lower is because he never built it and said he'd sell it to me or my father when one of us gets our license. Anyway, I really like the setup. I bought a matching spikes upper to go with the lower, and it fits together nice and tight with no movement at all. Anyway, enjoy:

CIMG1755.jpg

CIMG1754.jpg

CIMG1757.jpg

CIMG1734.jpg

CIMG1733.jpg

CIMG1735.jpg

Mike

I just got off the phone with brightflashlights.com. There prices are unbeatable for the YHM stuff. I ordered the same rail as you. Great company to deal with.

Hi,
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "For the barrel I went with a 14.5 inch Sabre Defense barrel with a mid length instead of a carbine gas system."
Does the bolt carrier group and upper receiver form the gas system of the AR15?
Thanks

Hi,
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "For the barrel I went with a 14.5 inch Sabre Defense barrel with a mid length instead of a carbine gas system."
Does the bolt carrier group and upper receiver form the gas system of the AR15?
Thanks

Explanation here:
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

(Not sure why the OP went mid-length with a 14.5" barrel though....)

EDIT: Really nice rifle by the way. That forearm looks awesome. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Explanation here:
http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/carbine-vs-mid-length-gas-system

(Not sure why the OP went mid-length with a 14.5" barrel though....)

EDIT: Really nice rifle by the way. That forearm looks awesome. [thumbsup]

It's funny how some people don't understand or agree with a 14.5 middy gas system, and others are loving it.

I was weary too, and I built a 14.5 middy to "see what all the fuss was about".... would it be reliable? would it not work correctly because of the dwell time, gas system lenth compared to barrel length, etc??

Anyways, now that I have it, and shoot it.... I LOVE it. It truely is the "softest" shooting AR I have. I run an H Buffer, and I have never had any issues, short stroking etc.

I went with this setup because I like the midlength profile better for my hand placement when holding the rifle, but I am a huge fan of 14.5 barrels with permanantly installed comps or breaks that bring the overall length over 16 inches so I dont have to do Form 1's like crazy.

Like I said before, I was weary, because I have seen all the chatter online ( mostly at ar15.com ) from many people that are "anti-14.5 middy" and I understand the theroy behind it. But after reading more input from folks with the system and the great results they had I said screw it, and built that rifle. No regrets since then, I love it.

It's funny how some people don't understand or agree with a 14.5 middy gas system, and others are loving it.

I have nothing against it, just seems like a fairly rare configuration. That's not a bad thing - when it comes to ARs I'm all for diversity. [wink]

I decided to go with the 14.5 inch barrel with the mid length gas system based off other peoples experiences that I read about. I still haven't shot it yet because the lower is at my friends place (he has the LTC) until I am 21 or my dad bothers to go out and get his license. I will be bringing the upper to the NES shoot March 20th if anyone wants to play with it with me.

In terms of the skeleton stock. I like the cheek weld with the foam pad. If I had to do it over I wouldn't say it is 100% necessary but that little bit of length you can take off by removing the butt pad is nice. I honestly would have LOVED to go with a collapsible stock just for the adjust-ability, but in this wonderful state that apparently makes this rifle much more lethal towards little children and innocent old ladies. It is definitely lighter than an A2 stock, at least my rifle isn't incredibly well balanced, it is front heavy. Of course, once you pull it in tight you can't tell, or pull it in at all really. I wouldn't say it is any less balanced than an M16A4 with an RCO and PEQ on the front. If anything it is easier to hold straight out in front of you. And hey, it looks cool, that's always a plus.

Mike

Update: Changed rail and sights

I got bored and decided to swap out the rifle length rail for a specter length rail to save a little weight (especially out on the front) and also sold my MBUS setup for a YHM clamp on flip up front sight and for now, a Bushmaster A2 carry handle. When I pick up an optic I'll get a rear back up iron, but for now liking the carry handle, which I will hold on to anyway just for the classic Irons. Keeping my eyes peeled for someone selling a 512 or preferably a 517 in the 250-300 range.

The rifle definitely feels much more balanced now. I wish that rail extended another centimeter but I'm happy for now.

Before:
CIMG1733.jpg

After (sight up):
CIMG2035.jpg

(sight down)
CIMG2042.jpg

I actually get an even longer sight radius with this setup, which is why I went with the full length rail in the first place.
Mike

It is a little out there, but the gun feels better balanced to me. It was a bit muzzle heavy before and I wasn't expecting it to get any better if/when I threw a light on there. I won't complain about the extra inch or so I gained in sight radius either. Yea the aesthetics was a small part of it, (which honestly I shouldn't have been worrying about), but I wanted to ditch the MBUS for actual irons (broke even) and the weight I cut out still puts me ahead of the game with a light.

Mike

I just finished this one up last night at 1am :) The barrel came out of the oven at 12am. Pretty much like your original! The Flat Dark Earth finish matches very well. The camera flash makes it look 100 times worse.

P1040867-vi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom