My 2 year old

MXD

I am contemplating making a youtube vid just to prove that kids can be taught at a young age to understand the dangers of mishandling a firearm. My son is 25 months old and he already knows not to touch my guns. Before I go any further, let me say that even though he knows "NO TOUCH" there is no way I would trust him without me around as he is too young to trust completely and my guns are either locked away or on my person 100% of the time. I am not teaching him this to compensate for improper storage. Whenever I "practice" re-enforcement with him, I make 100% sure that the guns are unloaded, safe and clean. We are to the point now that when he sees my guns he shakes his finger and says "no no no Dadda". Every once in a while he will walk my wife or myself over to the closet and crack the door open, point to the safes and say "no touch Mamma". He even points to my right hip where I wear my holster and says no. Here is the most impressive part, we have taught him that if sees a gun he tells mamma or dadda to "touch" (that's how you tell a 2 year old to have someone else pick it up I guess lol). So were over a friends house for new years eve and he was playing with their kids. All of a sudden he came and got my wife and grabbed her hand so we followed. He brought her into the living room and pointed to a nerf rifle. Then he dragged her hand over to it and put her hand on and made her move it so he could keep playing.

He brought her into the living room and pointed to a nerf rifle. Then he dragged her hand over to it and put her hand on and made her move it so he could keep playing.
Great, you've created another Brady Buncher... [laugh]

Just kidding - good stuff... knowledge is more powerful than a lock... A Lock just takes longer to get into trouble. Knowledge can keep you out permanently...

Great, you've created another Brady Buncher... [laugh]

Even though I know you are kidding, I should still clarify for others. The "no touch" policy will be superseded by the "no touch unless Mamma or Dadda are around" when he's old enough to shoot.

My daughter never developed any interest in shooting. She cannot abide loud noises. But she did develop a positive LOVE of reloading. That kid probably put together 10,000 rounds on a single-stage press before she was 10.

Not all kids.. My 9 year old shoots, but I'm pretty sure if my 3 year old ever got the opportunity, we would all be headline news.. I don't call him Stewie Griffin for nothing..

I am contemplating making a youtube vid just to prove that kids can be taught at a young age to understand the dangers of mishandling a firearm.

Be prepared for the negative comments by anti's. It's great you're teaching your kids right from the start! For all our kids we even set guidelines on toy guns to help set the rules right off and make transition into real guns easier once they were old enough. Keep up the good work!

Even though I know you are kidding, I should still clarify for others. The "no touch" policy will be superseded by the "no touch unless Mamma or Dadda are around" when he's old enough to shoot.

Absolutely, a 2yo doesn't even need to play with a nerf dart thrower... [laugh]

I am the same way with my kids - first priority is to keep them safe and not touching them... Then only at the range with supervision as they get older...

Same goes for knives (kitchen or otherwise), bows, powertools, etc...

At age 3, my youngest could recite a modified version of the Four Rules. And he often would, to strangers in Wal-Mart. He's just like his oldest brother: never met anyone who didn't need talking to. [smile]

His version of The Rules, modified to make them age appropriate: "Guns can be very dangerous. Never touch them unless Mom or Dad say it's okay. Never point them at people or pets. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot the target."

He got his own Crickett a little later that year. He loves shooting.

Now the true test......GRANDMA IS COMING!!!!!!! My mother in law who we will call Gramma Anti is coming this week. We'll see how she likes it [laugh]

Youtube video with your 2 y.o. son in it, huh? You have seen the news reports of the kids human services took away when their parents posted pix of them holding unloaded guns? Why would you want to roll those dice?

Teach them what you want. Just don't be foolish and post it online.

My 3yo son and my 4 1/2 yo daught both know the rule of firearms safety and what to do if the encounter a gun with out Mom or Dad around. When ever I am cleaning a gun I find it is the perfect time to quench some of their curiosity and preach about firearm safety. The kids love it and I really enjoy spending that time with them

Youtube video with your 2 y.o. son in it, huh? You have seen the news reports of the kids human services took away when their parents posted pix of them holding unloaded guns? Why would you want to roll those dice?

Teach them what you want. Just don't be foolish and post it online.

I probably won't since I don't want to deal with the backlash from negative people but I never considered child services. Even in this crazy state, I have to believe that the people in charge would see a huge difference between posing my kids with unloaded guns and a video of my son NOT touching it while telling me "no no".

The message of one video is gun safety and gun proofing your children, the other is plain foolish and shows a lack of judgment. Maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking those in charge would see it the way I do, it's pretty sad that you might be right.

Back
Top Bottom