MWT IDPA October 18, 2009 ~ Halloween Scary Shoot Match

on stage 2, are you allowed to hammer down activators. You can gain time here to, if its allowed
I heard that some cheating SOB shot the right hand steel and then shot the exposed swinger before it moved.[wink]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Huh? We've never told shooter they can't engage steel more than once... nothing in the rule book about that.

There are matches at other clubs, you know. [wink] I don't remember where it was. The issue is, if you hit a popper again when it's at a 45 degree angle, you can skip rounds over the berm.

There are matches at other clubs, you know. [wink] I don't remember where it was. The issue is, if you hit a popper again when it's at a 45 degree angle, you can skip rounds over the berm.

[rolleyes] It may be a "club" thing... kinda like Maine has their own rules... IDPA/USPSA does not have such rules. [laugh]

I also heard if you hit wood- splinters can get in the spectators' face... causing lots of pain. :)

Last edited:
I heard that some cheating SOB shot the right hand steel and then shot the exposed swinger before it moved.[wink]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Yeah- what a dick huh??
[rofl]

I'd blame it on the stage designer... he should have put hard cover in front of it!

When I gassed my car up this morning, I made sure to put both hands on the nozzle, then place it back in the stand as quickly as possible, while turning 90 degrees to the right. Looks like I'll miss the Monday practice tonight, so have to get the practice time in somewhere...

[rolleyes] It may be a "club" thing... kinda like Maine has their own rules... IDPA/USPSA does not have such rules. [laugh]

I also heard if you hit wood- splinters can get in the spectators' face... causing lots of pain. :)

Hi Dave,

Great match. Thanks to everyone for an absolutely epic day. There is little quite as memorable as shooting a match in a snowstorm.

Regarding the falling steel, we do explicitly ask people at Harvard IPSC/USPSA matches not to add multiple hits on steel in an attempt to drive it down. As mentioned by Jar, the issue is that as the steel is falling, it presents multiple flat angles and creates unpredictable skips. Yes, it is a "club" thing; with the thing being that we'd like to keep the club open.

USPSA nationally addresses this problem by moving toward more poppers that fall forward when hit. They also eliminated a classifier where poppers were hidden behind other poppers. Of course, local clubs cannot go out and replace all their poppers. So also as mentioned by Jar, we try to provide other targets that can be engaged while the steel is falling.

Thanks again for a terrific day,
- Dan

At the nats. I drove down every activator but 2 One stage required you to do it 2x as they hid a US popper behind a fullsize. There should always be targets to shoot while you wait for the activator to do it's thing.

Dan- I'm glad you came to shoot with us and had a good time. When grown men can play in the mud and rain with their guns... well it just doesn't get better than that.

Good info on the steel. We only have a couple of poppers as of now... I'll talk with the guys to see if we can get some forward falling ones at some point.

Awesome videos guys. Looks like a fun match. Sorry I didn't make it Dave. I wimped out at the last minute in the AM and decided to help RO at MRA's fun shoot instead.

Mike- Great advice to UW. You can give me some pointers too at any time. In fact I think you should do it more often! [smile]

on stage 2, are you allowed to hammer down activators. You can gain time here to, if its allowed

stage 4, it takes time to get the gun in and out of the barrel, especially of you have to reload, shoot as far away as you can and still see the targets, even if you have to lean, you can lean in the direction you are going as you are shooting

stage 5, put the gas pump back one handed while you draw, but with the cold weather and gloves, it might be a bit risky, but on such short stages, everything becomes important

Stage 6, draw while moving back. each step is .2s, it adds up fast, on the last shots, you were off balance, it costs time, bend your knees more, and if you can get a little further from the wall coming in, so you can have the gun up before you are in position.

These are all little things that add up over a match

Sure, If I am shooting Limited that day, my suggestion to you is to shoot the stages weak handed only.
And only load you magazines to 3 rounds as it will alow you to work on your reloads.[smile]

Respectfully,
jkelly

Back
Top Bottom