MWT IDPA October 18, 2009 ~ Halloween Scary Shoot Match

Shut up. Seriously? [shocked]

I really haven't seen the scores- when they are done- I'll post it here.

Didn't he just have a birthday not too long ago? Is he the type that will go to a nice restaurant and say that it's his birthday just to hear the waitresses sing for him and get free cake??? :)

Damn. By 12 seconds?

Stage one... Hanwei went to the right.. so did I. I was shooting SSR so I knew I would take a lot of time for the reload... regardless- the right side was easier... and more than made up for the time.

The rest of the stages were similar with Hanwei getting a sec here and there.

EDIT- Salsa stage. I'm sure you had fun... but you clearly weren't preparing to shoot. Hanwei got you by 3 sec on a very short, simple stage.... hmmm.

Last edited:
Stage one... Hanwei went to the right.. so did I. I was shooting SSR so I knew I would take a lot of time for the reload... regardless- the right side was easier... and more than made up for the time.

EDIT- Salsa stage. I'm sure you had fun... but you clearly weren't preparing to shoot. Hanwei got you by 3 sec on a very short, simple stage.... hmmm.

I went to the left on that stage because I figured it was closer and I could slow down a tad to be more accurate.

Problem was that after I made the first head shot, the wet cardboard actually started to droop down towards me so I was presented with the edge of the head rather than the face of the head. I took 2 more shots in the hopes that I had gone through it. Nope.

Salsa...yeah that one was just for the hell of it. He shoots faster than me strong handed.

What's the advantage of a headshot there? Clearer shot by the no-shoot?

The body shot was mostly blocked by the no-shoot.
The head was clear.

I figured that since I didn't need to reload like the revolver guys, I could go quick on the left, take 2 head shots carefully and then take the remaining targets quickly as they were unobstructed body shots.

I didn't factor the wet slumped target. I should have just shot lower but after putting 3 shots at where the head should have been, I figured at least 2 should have hit and went on to the rest of the targets.

I went to the left on that stage because I figured it was closer and I could slow down a tad to be more accurate.

Problem was that after I made the first head shot, the wet cardboard actually started to droop down towards me so I was presented with the edge of the head rather than the face of the head. I took 2 more shots in the hopes that I had gone through it. Nope.

Salsa...yeah that one was just for the hell of it. He shoots faster than me strong handed.

Regardless of the head shot issue... the right was probably the best way to shoot it. [wink]

On Salsa... if you want to be more competitive, that stuff won't cut it. Hanwei is a great shooter... but not 3 secs on that stage. There is only one thing to blame.... and it cost you. [rolleyes] Your body position was way off and that made one handed shooting that much more difficult. But... if you like the feeling on a manequin up your butt... that's your choice. It's there for the world to see now. [rofl]

Reviewing the scores: You're right Stage 1 killed me. I didn't realize there was a 7 second difference there.

And then Stage 3 being 3 seconds behind. Yes, he did get the fastest score on that stage...but agreed it didn't need to be a full 3 seconds faster than me.

If those 2 stages were closer together we would have been neck and neck with time.

Reviewing the scores: You're right Stage 1 killed me. I didn't realize there was a 7 second difference there.

And then Stage 3 being 3 seconds behind. Yes, he did get the fastest score on that stage...but agreed it didn't need to be a full 3 seconds faster than me.

If those 2 stages were closer together we would have been neck and neck with time.

Ok... one other thing that is helpful to all shooters IMO. Mentally try not to let yourself take extra shots.... or said in another way... don't let yourself take crapy shots with the thought that you can have a quick make up shot. I know there are times when a bad shot slips out and you SHOULD make up the shot.. but don't get in the habit of taking extra shots. In many cases I purposely WON'T let myself take make up shots.. it's a way I try to dicipline myself to shoot only good shots. Not always fun and the points down can kill you.

But for example- on stage 2 and most of the stages at this particular match- when shooting revolver- you often don't have the ability to make up a bad shot! On stage two both you can Hanwei missed the steel. I couldn't afford a miss as an extra reload would cost dearly. Matter of fact I didn't use a make up shot the entire match. Make yourself make good shots. And if you do shoot a make up shot- it better be a called bad hit... and NOT by looking at the target. Easier said than done I know. [wink] That's my tip of the day... for what it's worth.

But for example- on stage 2 and most of the stages at this particular match- when shooting revolver- you often don't have the ability to make up a bad shot! On stage two both you can Hanwei missed the steel. I couldn't afford a miss as an extra reload would cost dearly. Matter of fact I didn't use a make up shot the entire match. Make yourself make good shots. And if you do shoot a make up shot- it better be a called bad hit... and NOT by looking at the target. Easier said than done I know. [wink] That's my tip of the day... for what it's worth.

Yeah, I missed the steel once, and it ruined my plan the rest of the stage.

I called a miss on the first weak hand shot in the barrel stage, but the 2.5 seconds was less than a reload would've cost. (my reloads in practice were about 4sec shot to shot, but add on some time for weak hand and the awkward position and it probably would've been over 6). Also, yeah, OK my entire squad called that miss. I probably should've shot the 625 weak hand for the first time somewhere other than a match stage. [rolleyes]

Also, yeah, OK my entire squad called that miss. I probably should've shot the 625 weak hand for the first time somewhere other than a match stage. [rolleyes]

But we couldn't help it... wood was flying everywhere! [smile] [wink]

You lost a lot of time on the draw because you stood there while drawing, instead on moving and drawing, probably 1s. You were already 2-3 steps behind, before you even got you go out.

You dropped the gun coming to the wall and lost a lot of time on the set up for the head shot probably 1.5-2sec

then you did a double tap on the reload, which always cost 1 sec.

You lost a lot of time on the draw because you stood there while drawing, instead on moving and drawing, probably 1s. You were already 2-3 steps behind, before you even got you go out.

You dropped the gun coming to the wall and lost a lot of time on the set up for the head shot probably 1.5-2sec

then you did a double tap on the reload, which always cost 1 sec.

Thanks.

That helps. Very easy to see when someone explains it and you can watch the video.

I'm trying to get away from the double tap on the reload. It's stupid I know but for some reason I can't stop myself from doing it. I don't know where I picked up the habit. Maybe from a few mags that didn't seat right.

on stage 2, are you allowed to hammer down activators. You can gain time here to, if its allowed

stage 4, it takes time to get the gun in and out of the barrel, especially of you have to reload, shoot as far away as you can and still see the targets, even if you have to lean, you can lean in the direction you are going as you are shooting

stage 5, put the gas pump back one handed while you draw, but with the cold weather and gloves, it might be a bit risky, but on such short stages, everything becomes important

Stage 6, draw while moving back. each step is .2s, it adds up fast, on the last shots, you were off balance, it costs time, bend your knees more, and if you can get a little further from the wall coming in, so you can have the gun up before you are in position.

These are all little things that add up over a match

on stage 2, are you allowed to hammer down activators. You can gain time here to, if its allowed

Good question. Dave? There are safety issues to be concerned with. I know I've been to matches where competitors were explicitly told not to, but that wasn't the case here. I think the best solution going forward is to design stages where there are other targets to shoot in between.

Good question. Dave? There are safety issues to be concerned with. I know I've been to matches where competitors were explicitly told not to, but that wasn't the case here. I think the best solution going forward is to design stages where there are other targets to shoot in between.

Huh? We've never told shooter they can't engage steel more than once... nothing in the rule book about that.

On the gas pump stage- the shooter was required to hang up the gas handle BEFORE drawing.

Back
Top Bottom