• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MWT IDPA October 18, 2009 ~ Halloween Scary Shoot Match

Folks,

I'm running a very, very revolver friendly IDPA match at Harvard Sportmen's Club on October 18th. As the outdoor season is winding down it's a perfect time to step outside of your comfort zone and just have some good fun with a revolver! Scary Shoot is appropriately named as there will be many folks that don't compete regularly with a revolver (or at all, including myself)... hence "Halloween Scary Shoot Match".

I'm planning at least 6 stages that are very revolver friendly.
Since I'm new to the round gun thing myself I'm going to keep all
stages out doors- so no low light stages (I don't think I could handle
reloads in the dark just yet!). So... how is this going to be revolver
friendly??? Well think of round counts like 6, 12 or 18...
or EVERYONE starts with 6 in the gun... maybe I'll have a stage with a
snub BUG...

Of course... if you don't have a revolver and/or gear you are of course welcome to shoot with any IDPA legal gun... but don't hesitate to beg, borrow or beg some more for any revolver gear you may need.

I'll post updates as the match date gets closer. In the mean time if you have any questions, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Dave
MD

Here are some additional details:

October 18, 2009 ~ Halloween Scary Shoot Match
Registration will begin at 9:15 AM
Safety Briefing will be at 9:45AM
Match will begin with first shot at 10:00AM

Please understand that to ensure a timely event for everyone you must sign up no later than 9:45AM. We do not make this policy to be punitive in any way or to bar people from shooting if they arrive late, we do this so all other shooters do not get delayed waiting to start the match. Thank you for your cooperation.

Harvard Sportsman's Club kitchen will be open at this match.

=====

Checklist of what you should bring to practices and events:
~ Pistol (max barrel 5.13") or Revolver (max barrel 4")
~ ONLY Strong side belt holsters that cover trigger guard
~ At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
~ Magazine/Speedloader carrier or holder
~ Concealment Garment (shirt, vest, jacket)
~ Eye & Ear Protection
~ 150 rounds of ammunition

I know that this will sound just plain nuts, but HSC is hosting a SASS cowboy match on October 17 and this great IDPA match on October 18. How many shooters can we get to shoot both? Maybe we can get Dave to offer prizes for the best combined results? Like maybe 5,000 small primers? (I hear that some will be available by June 2011.)

I know that this will sound just plain nuts, but HSC is hosting a SASS cowboy match on October 17 and this great IDPA match on October 18. How many shooters can we get to shoot both? Maybe we can get Dave to offer prizes for the best combined results? Like maybe 5,000 small primers? (I hear that some will be available by June 2011.)

Well I'll be down in South Carolina trying to fill the freezer for the coming year. Allow me to offer a box of new ammo in the following calibers to whoever Dan or Dave thinks is deserving of it!

45LC
45ACP
9mm

Well I'll be down in South Carolina trying to fill the freezer for the coming year. Allow me to offer a box of new ammo in the following calibers to whoever Dan or Dave thinks is deserving of it!

45LC
45ACP
9mm

Wow, what a nice offer. Thanks very much. It should bring some good karma for your trip. Best of luck!

I just wanted to make sure folks realized that this IS a regular IDPA match and it's not just for revolvers. I really want to encourage people to give their old wheel guns some range time but if you don't have one or want to shoot your semi- you are more than welcome! There won't be a BUG stage so you only have to worry about shooting your own gun....

NEW RULE: No one is allowed to laugh at the MD's reloads! I've been know to find ways to spew the fresh rounds onto the ground! Although... I just got my 686 back from S&W today... and it feels real nice!

Last edited:
I'll be shooting this as my first IDPA match. Although I won't be using a wheelgun, it should be plenty scary.

I don't think I'll use a wheel gun for this.
I need an opportunity to buy one, loaders, reloading equip etc.

I haven't shot a match in a while. Hopefully I can make it through this damn wedding season and out to this match.

The audacity of my friends to have weddings and wedding related events during outdoor shooting season...

I want go back to my compact for this match but at the same time i'm feeling a lot better than I did at the wpr match last weekend. Luckily that cold I had, had a short lifespan for me. Other than that I'm looking forward to this sunday because my wife is going to come and watch and hopefully she'll want to start shooting the matches with me.

I'm gonna try to get out there too. I haven't shot IDPA since the Winter so it's time to get back out. Don't know how much ammo i've got for the revolver so I might have to go with my regular shooter.

Dave,
Are semi-autos going to load 6 rounds also?

Respectfully,
jkelly

Just one stage has everyone loaded to 6 at start. The rest are division capacity.

EDIT: Oh and I don't recall requiring all tac reloads either! I'm not that mean. :)

Last edited:
I had so much fun last week, I think I'll break out the round gun and make big holes again. [wink]
Gotta work a few bugs out of it and re-work a load first. I had a few that failed to set off and felt like I was shooting bowling pin loads all day. [shocked]

Well, this was a really fun shoot, and certainly enough fun to get me back a second time. Great practice, too; once that buzzer goes off, and some adrenaline starts to flow, it's much harder to keep track of everything. In one stage, I shot a limited-vickers target twice as many times as I was supposed to (-40 or so for that stage!) and on another stage, forgot to retreat from a close target. At least, I have allot of room to improve from here.

That, and it's going to be hard to get worse weather. Thanks to the MD and all the SOs!

Another great MWT match. Thanks to all of the SO's and MD for running the day. I can't believe it snowed [smile]

Thanks Lugnut and MWT for a great match. The weather was challenging. I think I can finally feel all my fingers and toes after a lonnnnggg hot shower.

Wow- what a day huh? I personally want to thank all the SOs that helped run this match- truly a great team. Another big thanks to all the shooters- when the conditions are tough and everyone just keeps doing what they can with a great positive attitude.... well it really makes it rewarding to me. Thanks so much.

And yeah... I can believe the snow either.. wow.

Back
Top Bottom