Multiple BBs/pellets into my siding after placing Romney sign on front lawn

This is just to see if anyone had the same experience... Last Thursday night, while watching football, I heard a loud "snap" on the outside of the house. I did not think anything of it at the time, since it was getting cold out and I figured it was the temperature changes. However, leaving my home today, I noticed 4 - 6 marks on the vinyl siding. :(

So, getting out my ladder I examined two of the holes and they were definitely made from a BB or pellet. The one near my Daughter's window went at least 1/4" into the sheathing and could have gone right though had it not hit a stud.

<on soapbox>
When I drive by a person with an Obama sign (have not seen ANY) or Elizabeth Warren, my first inclination is not for "violence" as that would NEVER cross my mind. I pity the poor SOB as they do not know any better and hope they can see the light at some point in their miserable life. What incenses me is that the media has portrayed the Tea Party as some militant group that causes acts of violence and harm to the country. Nothing could be further from the truth. Take a look at the 99% looser Occupy movement. They defecated on Police cars, spat on Officers and caused multiple arrests due to the harm they were inflicting on others. Bottom line: When liberals run out of original thoughts and are loosing in the arena of ideas, THEY turn to violence.
<off soapbox>

I will be filing a Police report tomorrow, not that it will do any good. I am *quite* upset at this. My daughters could have been hurt and this is no joke.
[frown][sad][frown][sad]

Last edited:
Not that I don't think there could possibly be anti-Romney people capable of doing this, but may I ask why you believe it is a result of placing a Romney sign on your lawn? Are you the only one with a Romney sign for miles around or did everyone who has a Romney sign have their homes shot up by BB/pellets?

Sorry to hear of this. That sucks as siding is a pain the arss to fix and match up. Libs tend to remind of the kid at the park that didn't get his way and went home crying while throwing rocks at everyone. Lets just pray this country doesn't go to where many have said it might for if they want to start the trouble, there will be an overwhelming force that will terminate it.

Not that I don't think there could possibly be anti-Romney people capable of doing this, but may I ask why you believe it is a result of placing a Romney sign on your lawn? Are you the only one with a Romney sign for miles around or did everyone who has a Romney sign have their homes shot up by BB/pellets?

I have been living here for ~8 years and NEVER had this happen. No one else on my street has a Romney sign. Furthermore, I am 100% positive this was the result of the sign, and I am positive those holes were not there prior. In retrospect, the sound was very different from the "house settling" thermal expansion/contractions. It sounded like when I was a kid and hitting a plastic ball against the house, really really hard.

This was the first year I had shown my political colors since I had never felt so strongly that this is "the election of elections" for this country. I love what we have and fear for what is in store for my kids if we get another 4 years of this mediocre crap. Anyhow... life lesson learned since my Wife warned me and thought something would happen and I said that would never occur. Well, she was right and I was wrong.

Sorry to hear of this. That sucks as siding is a pain the arss to fix and match up. Libs tend to remind of the kid at the park that didn't get his way and went home crying while throwing rocks at everyone. Lets just pray this country doesn't go to where many have said it might for if they want to start the trouble, there will be an overwhelming force that will terminate it.

Yea... Looking online and there is not much that can be done. From what I can see, I could use some of the "Great Stuff" foam and build a backing: Once dried I can use some weatherproof caulking and fill / smooth over. One of the shots keyholed, so that is going to be a larger area to fix. I will have to wait tomorrow to do a complete top to bottom review to make sure there are none that I missed.

I forgot to add, I don't have to worry about holes in my houses vinyl siding, my older boy and his friend were playing spec ops vs. towelheads a few years back with airsoft guns in full auto and the house started to look like a home from the war zone. We just filled in what we could and let the bees fill in the rest. Figured we would replace it once the kids were a bit older.

I forgot to add, I don't have to worry about holes in my houses vinyl siding, my older boy and his friend were playing spec ops vs. towelheads a few years back with airsoft guns in full auto and the house started to look like a home from the war zone. We just filled in what we could and let the bees fill in the rest. Figured we would replace it once the kids were a bit older.
You are taking the same approach I am - no point in making a permanent fix on things that the kids will just ruin again. I've repaired so many holes in plaster over the years that I think the boys' room is actually made of spackle and patch. When all five are gone, I'm going to fix everything one last time.

You are taking the same approach I am - no point in making a permanent fix on things that the kids will just ruin again. I've repaired so many holes in plaster over the years that I think the boys' room is actually made of spackle and patch. When all five are gone, I'm going to fix everything one last time.

You gentlemen are far more tolerant than I am. My son enjoys shooting his BB pistol and has a real nice pellet rifle, but if he were to pepper the house and leave visible results, he would spend the weekend pulling my boot out of his ass.

Truth be told I haven't seen and Obama signs on my bike ride through Taunton, still wouldn't do amything to the folks property, just not right. In my younger days I might have stolen it, but thats it. Hope they don't repeat the behavior, good luck.

I will be filing a Police report tomorrow, not that it will do any good. I am *quite* upset at this. My daughters could have been hurt and this is no joke.

Sounds like CO2 pellet gun. See if you can trace trajectory with wood dowel the same size as BB. If you live on a rural road, you can then point a game/trail camera at the location. You might get lucky and get a nice photo of the kids walking by or of a passing car.

fwiw its worth at least caulking water getting behind siding is never good more so if your house isn't properly tyveked or sealed.

This sounds a bit far fetched really. I mean the cause of it being a romney sign.. To me sounds like a thing teenagers would do.... And really 99% of teenagers aren't really into political activism. They do however love vandalism! Another thought, you mentioned your daughter and it being near her window is she in this age group? Could it be a issue from school. Just a consideration. I knew kids in high school they beat up everyones mailbox... Didn't care what sign they had out front. If it happens again I would defintly do some recon work with a trail cam... If it were obama supporters would make a great news headline.. Good for the Romney camp.

Edit: Also if it just kids then you don't have to be wrong!

Also the fact that this hasent happend in 8 years dosent really mean much little billy may have got his bb gun last week

Last edited:
This is just to see if anyone had the same experience... Last Thursday night, while watching football, I heard a loud "snap" on the outside of the house. I did not think anything of it at the time, since it was getting cold out and I figured it was the temperature changes. However, leaving my home today, I noticed 4 - 6 marks on the vinyl siding. :(

So, getting out my ladder I examined two of the holes and they were definitely made from a BB or pellet. The one near my Daughter's window went at least 1/4" into the sheathing and could have gone right though had it not hit a stud.

<on soapbox>
When I drive by a person with an Obama sign (have not seen ANY) or Elizabeth Warren, my first inclination is not for "violence" as that would NEVER cross my mind. I pity the poor SOB as they do not know any better and hope they can see the light at some point in their miserable life. What incenses me is that the media has portrayed the Tea Party as some militant group that causes acts of violence and harm to the country. Nothing could be further from the truth. Take a look at the 99% looser Occupy movement. They defecated on Police cars, spat on Officers and caused multiple arrests due to the harm they were inflicting on others. Bottom line: When liberals run out of original thoughts and are loosing in the arena of ideas, THEY turn to violence.
<off soapbox>

[frown][sad][frown][sad]

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? You don't have to be specific, a region would be fine. Just curious.

Welcome to the "Tolerant" left. This is just like the death threats to Romney and Romney supporters from liberals on twitter and Facebook. I had a liberal spend an entire weekend calling my work to get a hold of my boss to have me fired for having a Romney banner on my FB page. My boss told him to **** off and **** obama then hung up on him. The so called "Tolerant left" are the most intolerant people on earth......

fwiw its worth at least caulking water getting behind siding is never good more so if your house isn't properly tyveked or sealed.
Thanks for the tidbit. Yea, my boy and I spent a day caulking up the holes, I supervised he was the worker bee. He was 8 at the time and him and his buddy did the damage in less than 15 minutes, It was more of my shop/garage that took the brunt, but the back of the house sustained some pock marks.
I didn't do the boot up the ass, but being Velcroed to a wall for a day was pretty funny.

I'd lean more towards blaming the shooting on some of the NES Gary Johnson/Ron Paul fanatics than the Obama supporters. Some of them hate Mitt as much as Obama [wink] /sarcasm
BTW it sucks no matter who did it. I'd be pissed if it was my house. Sometimes applying caulk (use silicone btw, acrylic isn't waterproof) to fix holes in vinyl siding is a pain in the ass. You can try installing some automotive "christmas tree clips" for cheap and apply a small bead of silicone caulking around the head of the clip before installation to waterproof them. You don't want water getting behind your siding.

Last edited:
I have been living here for ~8 years and NEVER had this happen. No one else on my street has a Romney sign. Furthermore, I am 100% positive this was the result of the sign, and I am positive those holes were not there prior.

Are there holes in the sign?

If not, I think you're using your "jump to conclusions mat". Kids and other a**h***s do random shit to homes all the time. Years ago I had 3 or 4 eggs thrown at my house. No yard signs. It just happens, people are a**h***s.

-Mike

Are there holes in the sign?

If not, I think you're using your "jump to conclusions mat". Kids and other a**h***s do random shit to homes all the time. Years ago I had 3 or 4 eggs thrown at my house. No yard signs. It just happens, people are a**h***s.

-Mike
If there are holes in the sign then maybe they shot the sign without checking their backstop, and they ended up hitting your house.

Awesome, and even better in the winter when the paintballs freeze

i'd agree with those above that the Romney sign is pure coincidence, they would of vandalized that and not your siding. That coupled with the assumption that anyone into politics is going to be mature enough to not shoot a BB-gun at a house like a teenage punk.

Hope the cops have some leads or other complaints (have you asked your neighbors if they got hit too?) glad your girls are ok.

Sounds like CO2 pellet gun. See if you can trace trajectory with wood dowel the same size as BB. If you live on a rural road, you can then point a game/trail camera at the location. You might get lucky and get a nice photo of the kids walking by or of a passing car.

+1 used to be they just stole the signs...hope you catch them

This sounds a bit far fetched really. I mean the cause of it being a romney sign.. To me sounds like a thing teenagers would do.... And really 99% of teenagers aren't really into political activism. They do however love vandalism! Another thought, you mentioned your daughter and it being near her window is she in this age group? Could it be a issue from school. Just a consideration. I knew kids in high school they beat up everyones mailbox... Didn't care what sign they had out front. If it happens again I would defintly do some recon work with a trail cam... If it were obama supporters would make a great news headline.. Good for the Romney camp.

Edit: Also if it just kids then you don't have to be wrong!

Also the fact that this hasent happend in 8 years dosent really mean much little billy may have got his bb gun last week

While you may be correct that it is random, there is evidence of this type of behavior being perpetrated by Obama supporters....
http://twitchy.com/2012/10/07/democ...y-cars-displaying-pro-romney-bumper-stickers/

Also, putting BBs or pellets into someone's house seems more targeted against this particular homeowner to me. It does not have the "coolness" of something more visual like eggs or toilet paper. But, I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom