• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving within Mass

Hey,

I believe I have some understanding on this but wanted to get others knowledge to be sure. My friend and I just recently received our mass LTC A unrestricted licenses. He is moving from the town that originally granted him his license. He isn't 100% sure where to yet, but if he hypothetically went to the city if Boston or another strict city/town and he notifies them, can/will they give him restrictions for like just hunting and sporting? Or do they wait til he renews? I was under the impression that they can and would give restrictions if they were strict enough. Sorry if this has been answered a lot before.

Hey,

I believe I have some understanding on this but wanted to get others knowledge to be sure. My friend and I just recently received our mass LTC A unrestricted licenses. He is moving from the town that originally granted him his license. He isn't 100% sure where to yet, but if he hypothetically went to the city if Boston or another strict city/town and he notifies them, can/will they give him restrictions for like just hunting and sporting? Or do they wait til he renews? I was under the impression that they can and would give restrictions if they were strict enough. Sorry if this has been answered a lot before.

Your new town cannot do anything with your license until renewal, the issuing town "owns" it until you renew in a different town

He MUST notify by Certified Mail (ONLY) the issuing PD, new PD and FRB within 30 days. Failure to do so is grounds for revocation/suspension/denial (on renewal).

The Issuing Authority OWNS your LTC until it expires 5-6 years after issuance. NO changes can be made by any other PD.

When renewal comes around, it is whatever rules the PD where you live invoke and likewise, whatever restrictions they use. Every renewal is essentially treated as a new application (except for statutory training cert and full fingerprint set requirements).

But he may still have to abode by the laws and regulations of the new city for their residents, and I think that concept has meaning specifically for Boston, no?

So while they can't steal or restrict your license until renewal time, if something is legal to be "passing through" the city but it's illegal for a resident to have a particular item, that has to be followed.

Boy, that's a convoluted sentence

f I were to ever move within the state the first thing I would do is to go to the local PD and ask about their policy on LTC's BEFORE CONSIDERING THAT TOWN AS A NEW HOMETOWN.
FIFY

This is the smartest thing you can do!

Unless it's just a temporary move. I've lived in a couple of places that I had no intention of living in for more than 2-3 years before moving on. If it's a permanent-type move, then definitely check out this policy.

Unless it's just a temporary move. I've lived in a couple of places that I had no intention of living in for more than 2-3 years before moving on. If it's a permanent-type move, then definitely check out this policy.

When I was in my 20s I moved around a fair amount, including living in Boston for a couple years and spent some time in another RED town. I just made sure I never needed to RENEW my LTC while living in towns known to issue restricted LTCs. I always remained unrestricted [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom