Moving heavy machine?? Metal Lathe

Believe it or not, I’ve used these to move some fairly heavy equipment across my garage's cement floor:

Amazon product ASIN B001W6Q4VAView: https://smile.amazon.com/SuperSliders-4724095N-Reusable-Furniture-Carpet/dp/B001W6Q4VA/ref=sr_1_32_sspa?crid=3HIOMKD6JDBJ&dchild=1&keywords=furniture%2Bsliders%2Bfor%2Btile%2Bfloors%2Bheavy%2Bfurniture&qid=1615854125&sprefix=furniture%2Bsliders%2Caps%2C243&sr=8-32-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRlo5SkU5RDFSOTVaJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjAzNTkxMUFNTTNJUEQ0MldIWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTAxMzE0Mk9ZMFRRMVZIQjNVQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

You need to make sure that the floor is swept clean, but it is surprising how easy these things slide. You only have to jack each corner up a half inch to slide the sliders under the foot. Sliding across concrete is more of a one shot deal, but they are cheap enough to use once and throw away.

Borman Bros out of Pepperel used to have millwrights on their rigging crews, not sure where they are at today but might be worth a call. Regular rigging crews get drunk and drive trucks into things while saying “no problem!”

So thanks to pear pressure, browbeating, and good old fashion bulling, I decided not to hire someone and move it myself.
haha, no seriously, thanks for everyone's input and the offers to come over to help. After talking with @jaymce I decided on making four dolly's out of 2x4 and plywood. Each dolly had four casters. Used a hydraulic jack to lift each end up and bolted the lathe down to the dolly. I had my brother in law over to help. Just nice having someone else there to make sure nothing went wrong. Took it slow and it was fine.

I needed the caster wheels anyway, as I'm going to be building some mobile stands and workbenches. I'll have some left over, but I'll find a use for them eventually.

Back
Top Bottom