Moving heavy machine?? Metal Lathe

nightpoison

NES Member
So I have the need to move a metal lathe that's in the realm of 1-2 tons. No real idea of the actual weight, but its not moving without some form of aid. It needs to move about 18 feet in total. Anyone know the cost of moving something like this? Any recommendations for the north shore Massachusetts.

can't jack it up and slide some heavy duty dollys under it? Roll it on floor jacks? Pipes?
I'm not willing to run out and buy a heavy duty dolly for this one move, and I'm not willing to move this on my own. The pipes should work, but it would be a pain in the ass. floors not exactly level, and the cast iron frame only makes contact at four points. maybe 4x6" at each point. So the pipes would be a pain.

Would rather just hire someone to come out and get it done.

Some blocks of wood, a pinch bar, Johnson bar, and a pallet jack should do it. With that being said if you don’t have access to that stuff call the closest reputable rigging company. It’s not worth getting hurt or dumping the thing over.
I work for a rigging company on the cape and we do that stuff all the time. You don’t want to pay our travel time up there however.

Way back i watched 2 guys move several large metal fab machines. They made it look easy with the right tools.
They moved 3 forging machines. No idea of the company but the insurance was a big part of why the company did not attempt to move them.

They told me they had insurance but their company wouldn't make good. My homeowners insurance did cover it all and then had to sue them. I was selling my house and this crap delayed the sale 6 months. The craziest part was that they expected me to pay for the rigging. In the end, between the insurance payout and the salvage value, I netted what the place was worth but it was a huge pain in the ass.

They overloaded the truck and didn't chalk the wheels, the front end came off the ground and it rolled backwards.

Then they ran out of gas on the delivery. THEN when they finally got there, the truck started rolling backwards down the street. They were drunk idiots that never got paid.
0206181206-00.jpg

I have moved lathes and milling machines around the shop using ivory soap between 2 sheets of plywood. Put one sheet on the floor and rub the top of it with the soap. Put the other sheet on top, Jack up the machine and slide the plywood under. 2 people easily pushed a mill about 40 feet in 15 minutes once we had it on the plywood.

Back
Top Bottom