moved into the state w/guns - no LTC

I know the questions regarding moving into Mass with firearms you owned in another state have been asked, but I haven't heard anyone mention what to do if you screw that up.

I was speaking with an acquaintance the other day about my love of things that go boom, and he told me he owned a gun as well. I invited him to go shooting with me, and his response was that he didn't think he could because he didn't have an LTC.

Apparently he bought the gun in New Jersey when he lived there several years ago. He had a New Jersey license at the time and did everything by the books, but when he moved to Massachusetts six years ago, he did not apply for a Mass LTC. It's been sitting in a safe in his home in Mass every since.

My first thought is that he needs to apply for an LTC immediately, but I'm not sure if that will bring about any consequences for having the gun without a license all this time. If he doesn't have to file an FA-10, there's no way anyone would know if he's kept the gun here, or kept is stored in Jersey all this time, right?

Well he's a felon looking to be busted!

He should just get his LTC, not mention anything about any guns that he might or might not have.

Once he gets licensed, he and his gun will once again be legal. IANAL

How would he register the gun without having "bought" it even if he gets an LTC? What if the handgun isn't on the list of approved ones?

If you bring a gun into the state when you move here, there is no requirement to register said gun... That being said, if he did for some reason (be crazy and tell the government about a gun he had so they could easily confiscate it when TSHTF) he could fill out a form FA-10, and check the "registration" box.

Remember, the approved handgun roster ONLY applies to guns that are sold by a dealer.

How would he register the gun without having "bought" it even if he gets an LTC? What if the handgun isn't on the list of approved ones?

A - he doesn't have to register it. That only applies to guns purchased in the Commiewealth. If he brought it in from out of state, there's no requirement to register it. He should keep his mouth shut until he gets his LTC. Or let his friend hold it until he gets his LTC. (There's a Marlin 60 living in my gun safe for that exact same reason right now...)

B - see above. Since he's not purchasing it, there's no problem. the EOPS list and the A$$hole General's regs only come into play when purchasing a gun - and all the penalties are on the DEALER who sells a gun that Nanny MA hasn't declared "safe" for it's subjects.

(sorry for the tone; those rules get me slightly riled up. [wink])

Ross

IMO he should just apply for a license, and give you the gun for
safekeeping, or at a minimum keep it stored away from any
prying eyes. (and not tell anyone else about it) When he
moved here there was no requirement for him to
register his firearm(s).

-Mike

There's no requirement that one register guns purchased while a resident of another state if those guns are brought into Massachusetts when one come here originally. Such guns brought here after one becomes a resident are explicitly subject to registration.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom