Mounting gun cabinet in cellar

I would like to mount a gun cabinet on 2x4s in my cellar. The cellar is dry and I have a dehumidifier going 24/7/365. The cabinet itself is only about 2x3 with dehumidifier packs in it. Will I encounter humidity problems? I will keep 3 handguns only in the box. Thanks

For 3 handguns I don’t see why it would be worth the risk. Just get a pistol box, they don’t take up much space.

Why the basement? You'll always be fighting humidity. Dehumidifier rods will help but nothing is perfect.

For so few guns (3 pistols?) why not a wall safe or a lockbox in a closet?

Depending on the size of the pistols, there are drawer safes that will accommodate three. If you want the safe / box to be secure, lag bolt it just about anywhere- wall, floor, etc.

Careful with desiccant packs they need to be changed periodically or you will get rust.

I have 2 gun cabinets and 3 safes in the basement. The cabinets are on 2x4 pt wood. The 2 gun safes are in a metal cabinet that is also on 2x4’s. Last year I bought a new high capacity dehumidifier with a built in pump. It is so efficient that it does not run all the time. I have humidiststs in all safes and cabinets. The humidity averages 50-60%. I also keep everybody coated with BoeShield T9 and in silicone socks. There have been no problems so far, although everyone gets a monthly check for rust. The irony is that on Cape Cod the basement with the dehumidifier is less humid than the living areas for about 6 months a year.
BTW no problems with tool rust either. Best wishes for your decision.

I have a 10 gun safe in the basement. (so called - 19" wide, by 16" deep, by 57" high). Concrete floor and walls. Safe is in a wooden cabinet (so repair people don't see it) and set on 2x4's (not p.t. ones). I keep one of those small safe dehumidifiers inside it, that I "recharge" by plugging into an outlet every few weeks. After 3 years, no rust on anything. Used to have a regular dehumidifier in the basement, but it died after 3 or 4 years, so now it's only the little safe one.

Back
Top Bottom