Mountain Biking in MA

I was wondering if anyone carries while mountain biking here in MA. I have a camel back/ camel pack or something like that, cant remenber the name, that i wear when biking. I was just going to throw it in the bag and go.

Any laws against this, anyone have any thoughts?

If your properly licensed there's no reason you cannot carry when riding. I do a ton of MTN and Road riding and carry my PM9 or P3AT with me all the time. I keep it on myself directly. Whether thats in my Camelback or in a Jersey pocket. I never put it the bag under my saddle. I figure if you get separated from your bike for whatever reason, your CCW is now lost to you.

On a side note, where do you ride?

I used to go to Bald Hill in boxford (wildlife area) wont carry their

I just moved, and I'm a stones throw away from Harold Parker state forest. I hiked it sat. and saw tire tracks in the snow, and thats what got me thinking.

Haven't ridden in that area much. Looks like a nice area though. Some riding friends have been Mtn biking all winter through the Foxboro State Park. I think they're nuts riding in 20 degree weather, but they love it. I'll wait until the temps hit the 40s and 50s.

I ride leomister state forest, and Burbank hospital on my mtn bike and various roads around central/north central mass. While I have/will carry while hiking, I havent/probably wont while riding. I honestly have never felt the need..... If you do, I would do as Rockrivr1 says, it really needs to be "on" you. Honestly even in the back of a camelbak, is it really going to be accessible enough if you really need it?

I ride leomister state forest, and Burbank hospital on my mtn bike and various roads around central/north central mass. While I have/will carry while hiking, I havent/probably wont while riding. I honestly have never felt the need..... If you do, I would do as Rockrivr1 says, it really needs to be "on" you. Honestly even in the back of a camelbak, is it really going to be accessible enough if you really need it?

I never used to carry when I rode, but I've had several instances where I've felt there was/could of had been a need. Twice I've run into dogs in the woods where I thought they were going to come at me. One I was able to get away from and one was called off from his master once he came into view of the situation. Another time I ran into a homeless man, or should I say I accidentally ran into his makeshift camp. His reaction left me very happy I was moving pretty quick at the time. The last instance convinced me it was time. I was riding on the road by myself and all the way over as far as I could when a guy thought he'd mess with me and was screaming at me as he edged his car closer and closer to me. It happened fast enough that I couldn't stop before I had to put my hand on his car because he got that close, which really sent the guy into a rage. I ended up on someone's lawn with the guy stopped and screaming at me, shaking his fist all the time yelling I shouldn't be on the road and he should of run me over. Blah blah blah. After that, I started carrying all the time when I ride.

I never used to carry when I rode, but I've had several instances where I've felt there was/could of had been a need. Twice I've run into dogs in the woods where I thought they were going to come at me. One I was able to get away from and one was called off from his master once he came into view of the situation. Another time I ran into a homeless man, or should I say I accidentally ran into his makeshift camp. His reaction left me very happy I was moving pretty quick at the time. The last instance convinced me it was time. I was riding on the road by myself and all the way over as far as I could when a guy thought he'd mess with me and was screaming at me as he edged his car closer and closer to me. It happened fast enough that I couldn't stop before I had to put my hand on his car because he got that close, which really sent the guy into a rage. I ended up on someone's lawn with the guy stopped and screaming at me, shaking his fist all the time yelling I shouldn't be on the road and he should of run me over. Blah blah blah. After that, I started carrying all the time when I ride.

I wasnt intending on sounding " against" carrying while riding, more I feel I havent felt the need to...... Well ok, I'll be honest I'm fat enough in spandex. I dont know where the hell I put my PPS......

Troy, can I ask where that last incident happened? If you'd rather not say, that's no problem at all.

Troy, can I ask where that last incident happened? If you'd rather not say, that's no problem at all.

Sounds like Carlisle to me... I have something similar happen to me on Cross going towards South. But that would only be the case if he road out of the shop instead of home.

Sounds like Carlisle to me... I have something similar happen to me on Cross going towards South. But that would only be the case if he road out of the shop instead of home.

Interesting. I've always found Carlisle to be a good place to ride as the car traffic is pretty friendly.

I only carry pepper spray while riding. Maybe I should get a .380.

In the past couple of years it's gotten bad because of all the new folk moving in. Plus the Charlie Baker Time Trial has pissed off a lot of people in Carlisle. They don't like cyclists racing through their town apparently, you should read their rag the Mosquito sometime.

I lived in carlisle for 4 years...the traffic is pretty friendly around there. Mostly nice, though slightly snobby rich folk..but they're courteous to bikers as biking is very popular in that town. If anything, many of the bikers are at fault half the time (and I'm a biker as well so I am not bias in any way). There were times I got quite pissed because packs of bikers (i'm talking 30-40 bikes) were literally riding in the middle of the road. Got to the point where I crossed the double yellow lines and passed at 70+mph on 225...I was NOT having a good morning.

For the record, if you actually live in Carlisle, goodluck getting an ALP license. T&H restriction here

I lived in carlisle for 4 years...the traffic is pretty friendly around there. Mostly nice, though slightly snobby rich folk..but they're courteous to bikers as biking is very popular in that town. If anything, many of the bikers are at fault half the time (and I'm a biker as well so I am not bias in any way). There were times I got quite pissed because packs of bikers (i'm talking 30-40 bikes) were literally riding in the middle of the road. Got to the point where I crossed the double yellow lines and passed at 70+mph on 225...I was NOT having a good morning.

For the record, if you actually live in Carlisle, goodluck getting an ALP license. T&H restriction here

Yeah, I ride a fair bit, though most of it is alone, and I find the really huge groups annoying. Small groups are no big deal.

Yeah, I ride a fair bit, though most of it is alone, and I find the really huge groups annoying. Small groups are no big deal.

Definitely a biker friendly town and the roads and country around there are beautiful. I lived on Clark Farm...sort of a landmark in the town on Concord St/Lowell Road. Yes the large groups of bikers need to learn what single file is. If bikers are courteous the cage drivers will be as well, and visa versa

I was wondering if anyone carries while mountain biking here in MA. I have a camel back/ camel pack or something like that, cant remenber the name, that i wear when biking. I was just going to throw it in the bag and go.

Any laws against this, anyone have any thoughts?

I have ridden on the snow. You can do it!!!! Especially when the snow is hard. Just be wary for ice. One of the parks was actually pretty good for XC skate skiing if you had the right skis due to the MTB and skimobiles packing the trail. It had a very stiff 3-4" base.

Make sure that you lower tire pressure to 15-18 PSI. You should not need to worry about thorn flats.

Wear good gloves!

It happened in my home town of all places. Uxbridge on Rt 122. Down by where the old Cocke N Kettle used to be. I reported it to the local LEs at the time, but there wasn't much they could do seeing they didn't witness it and it was my word against the car owner.

I wasnt intending on sounding " against" carrying while riding, more I feel I havent felt the need to...... Well ok, I'll be honest I'm fat enough in spandex. I dont know where the hell I put my PPS......

[laugh] I hear ya. I gained 10 Lbs over the winter and my gear was tight enough as it was. I'm going to look like a stuffed sausage once the weather gets warmer.

I live in SE Mass near 95 and 495. I have been looking for a mountain bike trail that is not to rocky. Everything around me has proven to be very narrow, hilly, and rocky, and I am not up to that level yet. I'd like to just ride through the woods. Can anyone PM me with a pleasant beginners course. I actually have a bike fanny pack with a spot for ccw, however, it's behind you and a PITA to access when there are no seconds to lose. I'll post details on it later when I get home.

Camelback Goblin, with ccw compartment and water container with drinking tube. It looks like it can be worn anywhere comfortable about the waist for various kinds of active or athletic activities.

Last edited:

Having grown up in the area and I have a lot of friends that have lived 20+ years in Carlisle a lot has changed in the last 10 years. Lots more pack riding, which is the cause of the problem pissing off people. But a few times on South Street I've encountered angry drivers and this is while riding alone.

A bunch of folks in Carlisle made up signs on trees and put them on the more popular cycling roads that indicated threats to cyclists. These signs were removed within a couple of days of placement. Also carpet tacks have been put in these locations as well.

Last edited:
Wayne,

It sounds like we live in relatively the same area Norton, Mansfield etc. area. I usually frequent Borderland state park in Easton. The main loop around the park is more than easy (I wouldn't really call it even a trail, more of a walking path). There are some more challenging trails throughout the northern part of the park up in Sharon's direction, though they sound like they aren't what you are looking for - some are narrower with some rocky spots. I'm not a big fan of rock gardens either so I try to avoid them. There's one trail that comes out by Bay rd. in Easton called Bob's trail which is a very fun trail that is not overly challenging or discouraging.

I haven't been up to Borderland yet this season so I don't know how muddy etc. it is so beware. I know there are a couple spots on Bob's trail that can get dicey with mud if it has rained recently but if it's dry then there shouldn't be any problems. Grab a trail map at the visitor's center and have fun. My bike needs a good tune up this season.

Foxborough State forest is my favorite. Just got a new bike and have only been out once this year. Can't wait for the snow and ice to go away.

[laugh] I hear ya. I gained 10 Lbs over the winter and my gear was tight enough as it was. I'm going to look like a stuffed sausage once the weather gets warmer.

I was doing great the last 3 years, I went from 275 down to 210 and from doing 8 mile rides on bike paths to 45 groupd rides with my LBS and training fro a TRI......... Early last spring while out on a ride I had the hardest time breathing, just horible! Just wouldnt go away....... from then after I could ride, run or swim to my "normal" Time to see a doctor..... Well a whole bunch of doctors appointments and tests later ( actually over 8 months later ) I stated Asthma medication last month, anmd by the end of Feb. I was told I can start trying to run/ride again........

now I'm back up to 240....... and the long battle begins, again.

edit: sorry to hijack the thread....

This thread reminds me: I need to get back on my bike!

I've been riding mountain bikes for a few years, and didn't ride much at all last year. I should start off this year early and get some winter riding in!

And I can use this as an excuse to get another gun. The CS9 is too heavy to carry in a camelback. I need to find something lighter...I have been eyeing Seecamp's lately.

This thread reminds me: I need to get back on my bike!

I've been riding mountain bikes for a few years, and didn't ride much at all last year. I should start off this year early and get some winter riding in!

And I can use this as an excuse to get another gun. The CS9 is too heavy to carry in a camelback. I need to find something lighter...I have been eyeing Seecamp's lately.

This sounds like an invitation to start a NES MTN Bike Group Ride when it warms up!!!

This sounds like an invitation to start a NES MTN Bike Group Ride when it warms up!!!

I do most of my riding in Monson at Conant Brook Dam. The trails range from easy to medium....there's nothing crazy. If you're into more challenging stuff, there are good trails at Walker Pond in Sturbridge/Spencer. If you want to come out here for a ride, let me know!

If anyone's interested, check out NEMBA.org - NE mountin bike association. They have local 'chapters' that you can join up with and do group rides, trail work, etc.

Back
Top Bottom