Mossberg or Remington

I am thinking of adding a shotgun to the collection. I have seen both the Remington 870 express and a mossberg 500 Special purpose. I am not a hunter, but would like the option for the future, so this would be a home defense/hunting shotgun. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
Frizz

I'd say the Remington is better for three reasons:

Steel versus aluminium receiver.
Easier to extend the magazine.
Generally a slicker action.

That said, my pumps are Mossbergs. I'm happy with the magazine capacity and I don't really care if it's my grandkids or my grandkids' grandkids who finally wear out the shotgun. I find the safety and slide release to be more ergonomic on the Mossbergs so that's what I picked.

A friend of mine used to be a reserve cop in our town. When they were qualifying one time and a Mossberg came apart it confirmed to him his preference for an 870...

I can't speak for the Mossberg but all of our shotguns are 870's. They take a beating and keep on ticking.

Because the aluminum receiver on the Benelli is easily bent. Or because the manual of arms for the Benelli is far more confusing than need be.

how do bend a receiver? run it over with a tank? i love my benelli and theyre currently issued over in iraq if im not mistaken...ive shot remingtons winchesters benellis and mossbergs and think that the fit finish feel and durability of the benelli is levels above the rest

Every department I've ever seen and assisted training had Remingtons. Either 870's or 1100's. Most opt for the pump.

Remington pushes their products much more aggresivly to the law enforcement community.

When I was last at the Sigarms Academy, several of the instructors advised to stay away from Mossbergs as the staff had experienced several action-stopping failures.

Stick with the tried and true -- Remington!

Back
Top Bottom