• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

mossberg 500 mag tube extension

Just got a mossberg 500 field/deer combo. I want to get an 18.5" barrel and an extended mag tube. what are some good combos people have used? websites? actual parts?

I think you'll be limited to a +2 unless you like the "mag tube longer than barrel" look.
PB300238.jpg

The Mossberg 500 tube is closed at the muzzle end - the barrel attachment is into a threaded hole in the end of the tube, not over the and tube retained by a cap like a Remington 870.
It's inconsistent -- Some guns labeled as "Mossberg 500" use the 590 style barrels externally threaded for a cap, e.g. the Mossberg 500 Cruiser and 500 Flex Tactical.
So is that basically a 590 tube and barrel?
Yes.

Just be careful some mag tubes are stubborn and the receiver is pretty "soft"
Why so hell bent on changing things up already.
Did you even shoot it. Also do you really want to be changing out mag tubes for your other barrels?
Why not just search for a mossberg HD
I think the last one I seen was the 590 for like 279$

Why so hell bent on changing things up already.
Did you even shoot it. Also do you really want to be changing out mag tubes for your other barrels?
Why not just search for a mossberg HD
I think the last one I seen was the 590 for like 279$

Of course I've shot it. I want a shorter barrel. I knew that since I've been looking at them a few months back. I don't care about changing barrels out for everything I want to do. It takes 2 seconds. It's a 5+1 so Im not gunna change the mag tube. I've gotten over that. Maybe I'll come to grips that I should just buy another shotgun. I'd like to be able to try out an 870 HD and a mossy like you suggested, before I actually buy a new one.

I've never successfully removed a M500 magazine tube without applying heat

The first time you remove the magazine tube from a 500, you will want to have a heat gun, a non-marring strap wrench, and an oven mitt. First, remove the retainer, spring, and the (often plastic) follower. Set the heat gun to "low" (around 400F if you have a fancy model) and slowly heat the receiver end of the tube and the junction when it is threaded into the receiver. Once the loctite lets go, light effort with the strap wrench will be enough to start it turning loose, then you can unthread it by hand (or if you don't like third degree burns, by oven mitt).

Of course I've shot it. I want a shorter barrel. I knew that since I've been looking at them a few months back. I don't care about changing barrels out for everything I want to do. It takes 2 seconds. It's a 5+1 so Im not gunna change the mag tube. I've gotten over that. Maybe I'll come to grips that I should just buy another shotgun. I'd like to be able to try out an 870 HD and a mossy like you suggested, before I actually buy a new one.

You bought it tues right? At dicks?
Any how the need for another barrel is an excuse for another shotty.
I'm not sure what effect shooting one labeled as HD will much different?
As I think I mentioned my "HD" shotty is a 20g youth 870
The plain Jane 870 HD was 269$ at dicks yesterday?

Last edited:
I just replaced an 18" barrel and mag tube assembly, complete, everything needed to replace your set up.. brand new, never shot. $175 shipped if you want it..

You bought it tues right? At dicks?
Any how the need for another barrel is an excuse for another shotty.
I'm not sure what effect shooting one labeled as HD will much different?
As I think I mentioned my "HD" shotty is a 20g youth 870
The plain Jane 870 HD was 269$ at dicks yesterday?

Ya I did. It doesn't. it doesn't. I'd like to see how a mossberg with the shorter barrel feels compared to the Remington with a short barrel. Instead of buying a field model with a long barrel and having to spend the extra money on a short barrel to not even like it. Also, the Remington HD was cheaper than the mossberg so trying them out with price in mind to see quality would be ideal. The plain 870 was 300 as well as the HD, but that was with the $50 mail in rebate that's already expired.

Ya I did. It doesn't. it doesn't. I'd like to see how a mossberg with the shorter barrel feels compared to the Remington with a short barrel. Instead of buying a field model with a long barrel and having to spend the extra money on a short barrel to not even like it. Also, the Remington HD was cheaper than the mossberg so trying them out with price in mind to see quality would be ideal. The plain 870 was 300 as well as the HD, but that was with the $50 mail in rebate that's already expired.

If your looking for compact go with the remington compact 20g

The Mossberg 500 tube is closed at the muzzle end - the barrel attachment is into a threaded hole in the end of the tube, not over the and tube retained by a cap like a Remington 870. Having said that, you can get the kit that has an 8 shot tube and 20" barrel from Brownell's: http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...otgun-kit-w-rifle-sights-8-rds-prod25124.aspx

Haven't checked today, but been out of stock for well over a year. I ended up buying a 590 on gunbroker for $275 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom