mosin sight adjustments

after putting a bunch of rounds thru my new m44, and rarely even hitting paper I have come to realize that my front sight is way off. Its shooting about 2 feet right from about 75 yds.You can see that the front sight is leaning a bit left. Ive had read about adjusting the front sights but still dont clearly understand the best way to do it. Should I just wail on the front sight with a hammer? or should I not hit the round part of the front sight and instead use some sort of punch on the base of the sight? Thanks...

If your bayonet was folded, try firing with it extended. If it was extended try folding it.
My M-44 shoots way off to the right if the bayonet is folded. Something to do with the barrel harmonics I've heard.

If you do have to drift it over its a dovetail type base and can be moved with a brass punch and a hammer. I had one that shot like that and to hit mine hard to get it to budge. I was scared I'd damage the rifle but was told by a few people on the surplus boards that sometimes you have to really whack them to get them to move. Just remember to use a thick punch that you can fit against the sight base and have someone hold the rifle for you. A block of wood to rest the barrel on helps too.
surplusrifle.com has a section on adjust Mosin sights on the 91/30 page.

I purchased two front sight adjusters a few years ago. One for my K98 and one for my 91/30. Work like a charm. Fit around the barrel and using grips, a screw is turned pushing the base of the sight. No damage to barrel, or sight. Wish I could remember who I purchased them from. Try Googling for front sight adjuster. If I find the info I'll pass it on.

Last edited:
i saw that too, made by stan ward I just looked it up and got some info. To spend 20 dollars, or just take the hammer to it? hmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom