Mosin Nagant Marking/Finnish M39 marking

knucklehead

NES Member
Picked up a Finnish M39 1944 Sako with a Hex Receiver. Found this on the underside of the tang where the maker puts their mark. Looked the internets up and down for an answer and could find anything. Hoping someone on here could help. Looks like a "T" with "9191" under it. IMG_4988.jpg

The M39 receivers were made by the Russians. Some are quite old.

Could your 'T' actually be an 'Arrow B'? That was a Remington mark. If you were not aware, beginning in late 1916 Remington produced Mosins under contract for Russia.

Stumped. Sestroryetsk receivers tend to have some funky markings but i've never seen one like that. Any markings on the top of the tang? Maybe Martin or other mosin collectors here will know what it is.

The "T" would be unknown to me.

But the year is 919r, and not 9191. It is a 1919 dated receiver, which rules out any arsenals except Izhevsk and Tula. All other makers had ceased operation by 1918. At that time, Izhevsk Arsenal was also having great troubles restarting operations after The Revolution, and they were using many recycled receivers and/or Tula receivers.

My guess, with about 90% certainty, is that you have a Tula receiver.

P.S. I've been shooting my M39's a LOT lately (always break out the Swiss, Finn and Soviet girls in the winter for some reason) and MAN are they SWEET shooters. My Sako shoots better/has a smoother action than my VKT, but they'll beat out all of my other Mosins any day.

Back
Top Bottom