Mosin M44 Availability

Shooters in Hookset them all the time still in cosmo with the full package for $150......2 ammo pouches, oil can, tool kit, sling and bayonet. Hell I'd buy a cabbage patch doll if it came with a bayonet!!!!!

How is that for warming? Getting hotter?

M44 or 91/30s? I'd be quite shocked if it was the carbine

- - - Updated - - -

but its local, in stock (until bought) and no tax.

So, which one? 91/30 or M44 for a prospective newbie Mosin owner.

Both, and you're still getting away cheap. ;o)

M44s are getting more expensive and harder to find, although they're still out there. M91/30 prices are also rising, but not as fast. They're both great rifles. Then go for an M39 Finn. IMO it's the apex of the Mosin world.

So, which one? 91/30 or M44 for a prospective newbie Mosin owner.

a pretty M44 like pictured above has great looking wood, has already been cleaned and has a tin of ammo with it is a nice complete package ready to take to the range, its also a nice size for transporting & shooting.

the 91/30 from a store will be cheaper certainly but the wood probably won't be as nice, tho you can still pick out a nice one. It will be greasy and need to be disassembled and cleaned of cosmo, etc which is messy and time consuming. Its a lot longer than the 44 so not as easy to wield/transport but the extra mass does eat up some of the mule kick the 44 produces. And you'd need some ammo too.

I'd probably grab the M44 which is probably $100 more than a similar 91/30 package but wouldn't need degreasing, etc.

Yeah if you hit up Collectable Arms in Merrimack, NH you can handpick which M44 or 91/30 you want. I bought my M44 ($279?) and 91/30 ($179?) from them, great shop.

I know I'm going to catch flack for saying this, but if you want a good shooter, I have been pleased as could be with my Chinese T53. For $119 it came with a near mint bore and while the rest of the metal had nearly zero bluing left on it, there was not a bit of rust. The stock, on the other hand looked like it had been dragged behind a tank. Best part is you can refinish it and not feel bad about ruining the collectors value because there is none. I shoot mine more often than I shoot my 91/30 because it's a blast.

I know I'm going to catch flack for saying this, but if you want a good shooter, I have been pleased as could be with my Chinese T53. For $119 it came with a near mint bore and while the rest of the metal had nearly zero bluing left on it, there was not a bit of rust. The stock, on the other hand looked like it had been dragged behind a tank. Best part is you can refinish it and not feel bad about ruining the collectors value because there is none. I shoot mine more often than I shoot my 91/30 because it's a blast.

I agree with you. M44s are much nicer rifles, but for less than half the cost, a T53 is just as much fun to shoot.

If you visit gunboards weekly you usually can find one in very nice shape. Mostly early imports so they are in far better shape than the ones you see recently imported. The Chinese model IMHO are junk. If you can find one that was imported early 90's you will see the difference. Just keep your eye open you will find one. M38 and 91/59 are pretty much dried up but again you see them once in awhile.

Geez, get some safety glasses on!!! Shooting down range along the power lines, hmmm.

Hey it wasn't me shooting it [smile]

Yeah that was odd seeing him on a set of powerlines! That gun'll blow your hat off and singe your hair though!

I Have an M44 and a T53 I can't post pictures yet. I am waiting for my membership to go through. I hope this will bring you to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom