More Guns on Campus? . . .

Loneranger’s Weblog

February 16, 2008
An interesting (and long) read from Newsweek
Filed under: Uncategorized — loneranger2008 @ 1:01 am
Tags: Campus Carry, Concealed, Newsweek
http://loneranger2008.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/an-interesting-and-long-read-from-newsweek/

More Guns on Campus?
By Suzanne Smalley

Newsweek Web Exclusive
Updated: 6:06 PM ET Feb 15, 2008

It was a sickeningly familiar scene. A student-gunman opened fire Thursday during a lecture at Northern Illinois University, killing five and wounding 15 before turning the gun on himself. The deadly spree was the fifth school shooting this week—and a traumatic reminder that for all the efforts to improve campus security nationwide since the massacre at Virginia Tech last year, students and faculty remain disturbingly vulnerable.

A nonprofit organization called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus would like to change that. The group, whose 12,000 members nationwide include college students, faculty and parents, champions legislation that would allow licensed gun owners to carry concealed weapons on campus, in the hope that an alert and well-trained citizen could stop a deranged shooter before he or she could do serious damage. According to the National Conference on State Legislatures, 13 states are currently considering some form of “concealed carry” legislation aimed at campuses. Utah is the group’s model; after a state Supreme Court ruling found that the state university had violated a law allowing permit holders to carry concealed weapons, the school agreed that guns could legally be carried on its grounds. Some states, like Colorado, do not explicitly ban licensed students and faculty from carrying hidden weapons onto school grounds, though most universities in such states impose restrictions of their own.

There are signs that the “concealed carry” group was making headway even before the tragedy at Northern Illinois. Earlier this month the South Dakota House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to force state universities to allow students to carry weapons on campus, according to GOP state Rep. Tom Brunner. The bill, which Brunner sponsored, recently died in the state senate, but Brunner said he intends to bring it back as soon as he can. “It’s not an issue that’s going to go away,” Brunner said. “We feel pretty passionate [that] students and teachers should have a right to defend themselves, and weapons on campus should be a part of the plan.”

But critics say such legislation would not have stopped suspected Northern Illinois shooter Steven P. Kazmierczak from carrying out his violent spree. (The Illinois legislature is considering a bill that would relax the state’s concealed-carry restrictions.) Kazmierczak snuck a shotgun and three handguns onto campus in a guitar case and under a coat before walking into a geology lecture and opening fire. Police have recovered 48 bullet casings and six shotgun shells from the crime scene. “It’s ridiculous to say someone with a gun could have saved the day,” said Brian Malte, the state legislation and politics director at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, “with people running all over the place and people getting caught in the crossfire.” Malte says his group opposes the concealed-carry legislation, because allowing firearms to saturate college campuses, where young people drink heavily and live communally, would only heighten the danger of deadly violence.

W. Scott Lewis is a board member and spokesman for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. Lewis argues that states with the most relaxed concealed-carry laws also happen to be among the safest. He points to Colorado State University, which has allowed concealed weapons on campus for 10 semesters without incident; the same is true for nine state universities in Utah’s system, where concealed weapons have been allowed in university classroom buildings since 2006, Lewis said. NEWSWEEK’s Suzanne Smalley spoke to Lewis about the bill, the tragedy at Northern Illinois University—and his fears that it could happen again. Excerpts:

NEWSWEEK: Why do you think it would help matters if students were allowed to carry guns on college campuses?
W. Scott Lewis: We’re talking about licensed individuals age 21 and above, in most states, who have gone through extensive background checks, training, testing, etc. Basically, these are the same individuals who are licensed to carry in virtually all other unsecured locations in these states. By unsecured I mean anywhere where there are not metal detectors and X-ray machines. So you’re saying that individuals who are licensed to carry in office buildings, movie theaters, grocery stores, restaurants, shopping malls, churches, banks, etc.—they’re currently not allowed to carry on college campuses for some reason … College campuses are unsecured locations. Anybody can walk onto a college campus carrying just about anything they please. So what happens is these state laws and these school policies that prohibit concealed carry on college campuses stack the odds in favor of dangerous criminals who have no concern for following the rules.

There are reports that the police arrived within two minutes yesterday.
A skilled shooter with a bolt-action hunting rifle or a pump-action shotgun can still fire about one shot a second. So you’re talking about firing off a lot of shots in two minutes before police arrive. So basically it boils down to the simple fact that police and security officers can’t be everywhere at once. It sounds to me like the police had an amazing response time … But they just simply were not in that classroom when the shooting started, and the only person who really could have mitigated this situation is somebody who was in the classroom when the shooting started. (cont.)

Last edited:
The problem is that they didn't learn after Columbine and it has taken them this long to realize that this is a MAJOR problem!Now it's almost too little too late especially for the victims of these latest school shootings.This has become a weekly occurance now here in the U.S.A. and they're still talking about what they are thinking about doing?Let's get on the friggin ball here people! Allow the teachers and law-abiding citizens with CCW permits to start carrying in ALL schools,not just colleges.They will far out-number the one or two shitbags who decide..."hmmm,I think I'll go to school today and kill 10 people today because I am a mentally deranged f***-up"! I understand that almost everyone of these psycho's has turned the gun on themselves in the end anyway but even one good person's life saved would make it worthwhile!

NIU has stated that it reviewed its plan after the VT murders. They improved it and practiced. They recorded an impressived response time to this incident.

Yet, it was all over when they got there.

Can you have a better illustration of, "When seconds count, police will arrive in minutes"?

Last edited:
I'm afraid of the results if the terrorist people ever catch on or act on the idea. Scary and sad.

NIU has stated that it reviewed its plan after the VT murders. They improved it and practiced. They recorded an impressived response time to this incident.

Yet, it was all over when they got there.

Can you have a better illustration of, "When seconds count, police will arrive in minutes"?

Ya know...when I heard the Univ. police chief talking about how well they did, I thought..."Wait a sec...people died!" [rolleyes]

CCW in school

CCW in school is completly legal in RI with a permit. It is specified as an exemption to the statute benning guns in schools. I know a couple teachers who do carry to work. The problem with colleges isn't law, it's the anti-liberals that run these schools. I work for the most anti-liberal of them all.

Back
Top Bottom