• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

More Black women turning to guns for personal protection, report says

Reptile

NES Member

About 8.5 million people in the US bought their first gun in 2020​

More and more Black women are considering buying a gun for personal protection, industry experts and gun rights advocates told The Associated Press.

Valerie Rupert, a 67-year-old grandmother from Detroit, is among 1,000 or so mostly Black women taking part in free weekend gun safety and shooting lessons at two Detroit-area ranges.

"I was a little nervous, but after I shot a couple of times, I enjoyed it," she told the Associated Press.

The uptick is driven in part by fear of crime, especially as shootings and murders have risen in cities big and small. But according to the report, a new motivator is the display of public anger in the last 15 months beginning with confrontations in the wake of George Floyd's death in Minneapolis under the knee of police officer Derek Chauvin.

Worries about the anger over COVID-19-related restrictions and the outrage over the outcome of the presidential 2020 election, driven by lies, are contributors, too. In Michigan, that anger led to a plot to kidnap the governor, as well as instances where armed protesters descended on the state Capitol.

AP21243561110092.jpg

Continues...

95% of Blacks are killed by other Blacks.

Maybe if she trains she can get the skills to kill one of them who tries to kill her.

Then in turn he wont be around to harm my family.

Did ya'll notice the one line were she said that she was nervous but after shooting she enjoyed it ? Sounds like someone that just might continue to shoot and pass it along. Paul

Glad women are getting into firearms, but the biggest deterrent against crime is prevention: situational awareness.

SA needs to be practiced. Don't go in a dark alleyway. Keep your head up and looking around instead of glued to the phone. Identify sketchy people. Just basic awareness of what's around you.

Firearms for protection is great, but personally, I'd rather avoid the fight in the first place.

Absolutely happy to have them on board. The first gun control laws were written by Democrats to keep blacks and other minorities from arming themselves.
Wait till she discovers that!

She wont be a democrat anymore and she'll tell all her friends why.

Worries about the anger over COVID-19-related restrictions and the outrage over the outcome of the presidential 2020 election, driven by lies, are contributors, too. In Michigan, that anger led to a plot to kidnap the governor, as well as instances where armed protesters descended on the state Capitol.
None of which are a danger to the average Black woman, unlike the 200lb gorilla in the room (no pun intended)

Back
Top Bottom