Modifying an SKS

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

Need to check that I understand this right. I've read threw numerous threads going back over a year.

The SKS with its fixed box magazine is not an AW accoding to the MGL, right?

So it is perfectly fine to replace the heavy wooden stock with a nice lightweight collapsable stock, right?

What about those new 20 round, but still fixed, magazines?

thanks,
Chuck

Nope,

Afraid not, as you're violating a Federal law by doing so. 922r statute states that the rifle cannot be "significantly" modified without reducing the number of foreign-made parts on the rifle to "10 or less", thussly making it an "American made" rifle. This is how those WASR-10 Ak's are making into the country (many US parts on them such as the trigger group, gas tube, pistol grip etc.) What is "significant" you ask? The law doesn't say (anywhere I could find anyways), but the part groupings are clearly laid out by the BATF. Check this link for details:

www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

It explains the whole foreign-made rifle mods thing in graphic detail.

Also, as I understand it, even if you play the "10 or less" game successfully, you still can't put a folding/collapsible stock on the gun as NOW you've violated the Mass AWB by "making" an assault rifle! IANAL, but the explanation I recieved was that since the gun retains C+R status, and was not an AW (no pistol grip), changing it to a pistol grip style weapon and adding a folder style stock "makes" an AW. I asked the 3 or 4 people I spoke to about the fact that I did not intend to put a detachable mag on the gun, so would that qualify it as NOT an AW? (One of the requirements of the AWB) Nevertheless, I was told that it
still would violate the Mass AWB, entirely seperate of the Federal 922r violation(s).

As I understand it, the AWB requires the gun in question to have a pistol grip, a detachable magazine AND one or more "evil feature" to be "banned". Since all AR/AK/CETME-style guns all have pistol grips, it was "one more stike and you're out" with relation to the other evil features (Bayonent lug, GL, folding/collapsing stock et al). I thought that the detachable mag was a given, otherwise ALL of these weapons would be under the ban, or we'd end up with those bizarre "break-open" fixed mag AR's they have in Commie-fornia.

I have a really sweet Tapco stock for my own SKS, sitting in my attic as a result. If any of the resident Legal Eagles know about this, I'd be greatly appreciative. I'm not sure that I'd bother to play the "10 or less" game and buy a whole bunch of U.S. made parts for the gun, just to put a new stock on it, but the original stock is really short, and I'd much rather have the Tapco on it if I could.

Last edited:
You don't violate the MA AWB if the gun is pre-ban. I would be SHOCKED if pretty much *ANY* SKS was NOT pre-ban...

I thought so too, given that the rifle was made in the late fifties or early sixties...

Not so. In foreign made rifles, the date of import also applies, so I've been told. Scriv or Darius?

I'd love to get this cleared up...[thinking]

You don't violate the MA AWB if the gun is pre-ban. I would be SHOCKED if pretty much *ANY* SKS was NOT pre-ban...

I thought that when it comes to an AW (like my Norinco) it had to be in a "bannable configuration" prior to the ban?

And with the non-detachable mag I just didn't think the SKS was an AW. I just want add what would be considered 2 evil features on an AW, pistol grip and collapseable stock (which along with the handguards adds 3 American parts).

-= chuck

Last edited:
www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

It explains the whole foreign-made rifle mods thing in graphic detail.

Also, as I understand it, even if you play the "10 or less" game successfully, you still can't put a folding/collapsible stock on the gun as NOW you've violated the Mass AWB by "making" an assault rifle! IANAL, but the explanation I recieved was that since the gun retains C+R status, and was not an AW (no pistol grip), changing it to a pistol grip style weapon and adding a folder style stock "makes" an AW. I asked the 3 or 4 people I spoke to about the fact that I did not intend to put a detachable mag on the gun, so would that qualify it as NOT an AW? (One of the requirements of the AWB) Nevertheless, I was told that it
still would violate the Mass AWB, entirely seperate of the Federal 922r violation(s)...
This I don't understand. The Federal "assualt weapon" ban referenced by M.G.L. specifically indicates that a detachable magazine is required for a semiautomatic rifle to possibly be an "assault weapon". Therefore, if one's has a fixed mag then you can put any other feature on it without regard to the MA AWB.

From what I have read the real problem is the "10 or less" foreign parts rule: Apparently you cannot met it with commercail parts without replacing the magazine, but the U.S.-made replacement magazines tend to have feeding issues. I used to think that the Cabelas replacement fixed mags were OK (versus the detachable mags), but talking to more people and more searching on the web has indicated they too have feed issues.

I was under the impression that because it has a fixed mag and it is not high capacity (only 10 rounds) that it isn't an AW.

On my Yugo SKS I replaced the grenade launcher with a muzzle brake (USA made), drilled and tapped the reciever for a permanent scope mount (USA made) and plan on replacing the bayonet with a bi-pod and possibly ad a Choate dragonov style stock or one of those T6 stocks. Is this OK?

Do I need to keep the same style stock or a thumb hole stock? Is the Choate dragonov considered a thumb hole stock?

What if you took a T6 stock and welded it in one fixed position?

If you kept the stock fixed, and didn't use a detachable mag, AND made the "10 or less" number, you MIGHT be ok. IANAL.

Back
Top Bottom