• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Model 36 an model 60

so thats it? then i bought a 36 today not a 60 i was told i was buying a 60 my buddy bought it used before me he wasnt sure what type it was

The M60 is made of stainless steel and was the first production hand gun to be made in that material (circa 1965). The M36 is made of carbon steel and was the first revolver made on the now famous J frame. It made it's debut at the International Assn of Chief's of Police Convention in 1950 hence the Chief's Special moniker. It was also S&W answer to Colt's well estabished Detective Special model. Over the years there have been various engineering modifications to both revolvers, (M60 and M36) including making the J frame a bit larger to allow for chamberings in .357 magnum.

I hope this helps.

Mark L.

Last edited:
If you ever have a question in the future open the cylinder and look at the hinge. The model number will be there.

329recall.jpg

Last edited:
so thats it? then i bought a 36 today not a 60 i was told i was buying a 60 my buddy bought it used before me he wasnt sure what type it was

I guess your license came in earlier than Monday like you were figuring?

I thought the gun was hammerless, according to you past posts?

Funny how a friend can not know the model of the gun he is selling, but can pick a good price!

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thinking]

Years and years ago, in my high school days, I hung around a garage and worked on my car after hours.
Late one night a lady came in with a flat on a beat up car and asked the owner, Charlie to fix it. She didn't have a key to the trunk but she said he could "jimmy" it to open it. Once inside, there was no spare.She said "I just bought it". "From who?" She said "a friend".
Charlie, in his wisdom said "lady, only a friend would sell you a car like this".
If your happy with the gun and price, fine.
But, as said above, be careful.

Come to think of it, depicts, my colleague from the 4th Infantry Division (I served on Division G2 Staff and 104the MI Bn 1992-1995), brings up an interesting point, how did you purchase this gun prior to Monday? Most licensing sections aren't open on the weekend. I hope you didn't screw up and do some kind of deal with your buddy prior to licensure. The law may suck, but it is the law. This does not bode well with me, anyway, if you are in violation of the statute. Remember that at least some of the people who are members of this forum are employed in the Criminal Justice System and I am one of them.

Mark L.

Come to think of it, depicts, my colleague from the 4th Infantry Division (I served on Division G2 Staff and 104the MI Bn 1992-1995), brings up an interesting point, how did you purchase this gun prior to Monday? Most licensing sections aren't open on the weekend. I hope you didn't screw up and do some kind of deal with your buddy prior to licensure. The law may suck, but it is the law. This does not bode well with me, anyway, if you are in violation of the statute. Remember that at least some of the people who are members of this forum are employed in the Criminal Justice System and I am one of them.

Mark L.

no i picked up my license on friday i left work earlry to get it what i had postedearlier was just me being excited i've waited to long an spent to much effort to screw it al up this early in the game

Mark L.

I called the sation friday afternoon an my license was there she said if i could make it by 5 i got get it friday if not i'd have to wait till monday so i told the old boss i dont feel so good gotta take off early an went an picked it up an you guys were right it had to be acivated when i sign for it

I guess your license came in earlier than Monday like you were figuring?

I thought the gun was hammerless, according to you past posts?

Funny how a friend can not know the model of the gun he is selling, but can pick a good price!

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [thinking]

ya i think i got burned it is a model 36 with a hammer i paid 250

You didn't get burned. Any good condition Model 36 under $300 is a fair buy in my book.

Look on the crane and see if the gun is a mod 36, or if it has a dash number, like 36-7.

PM me the serial number and I'll tell you when it was made.

Glad you got the license first. We don'tlike to play game with the law here on NES. Like Mark said, the law might suck, but it is the law. GLad you made the smart move!

Bill

Youradolt,

I am glad that you followed the law, and like depicts and EddieCoyle said, you did well for yourself by getting a M36 for the price you paid. If you want to learn more about S&W I highly suggest that you obtain a copy of the 3rd Edition of Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It is a wealth of accurate information about Smith and Wesson handguns from founding of the partnership to 2006. It's worth the money.

Please learn to use your revolver safely and efficiently.

Mark L.

So when your buddy sold you this gun, what did he/you put on the FA-10 form? I'm assuming this was a FTF transaction since a dealer wouldve known? He did file a FA-10 and you got a copy right?

Good question! Like he said, take a look at your copy of the FA-10 form your friend and you filled out and see what was listed as the model.

If an FA-10 was filled out and incorrectly, you will have to ask the question about "fixing" it.

Back
Top Bottom